Taj Mah-Al (6x10 Cargo Trailer Build)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Haven't posted here for a while but I thought I'd come back with my latest project...

I have been looking for a small camper to convert into an off-road adventure trailer. I want something that requires little or no set up when I get to camp. Pop-ups are out. Roof top tents look super cool but I am just too lazy to get in one. Same for tear drops. I want to be able to open the door and walk in. I found several 12' Scotty campers but they were either too beat or too nice. Most of them required complete gutting.
I found this 6x10 CT on craigslist for $800. It's a 2004 model. The body is in good shape; the doors are solid and close properly. The floor is good shape and doesn't need any work. There are no leaks. Overall it does not need much done to it. It weighs about 1200 lbs empty and I think it has a 3500lb axle.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Spare tire mount: The PO put this side mount spare tire on. I don't like it much so I am welding up a new mount and covering the tongue with expanded metal. The tongue may eventually house a propane tank and battery box.

I cut a part the old spare tire mount and fabbed up this:
[

Finished Tire Carrier

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I was getting gas on my way to an ATV poker run. I was pulling a trailer full of ATVs. This older timer approaches me and says, "Are you on your way to camp?" I say, "no, just going riding" He motions to his truck and says, "would you be interested in this?" He proceeds to give me this really cool military cot. He said he was driving a long way and didn't want to risk it blowing out. The cot folds completely flat, only 2" thick, and will store tightly against the wall of the trailer. I am not sure if I will use the mattress or replace it. It is very cushy! I have been looking for something exactly like this. I have a large cabelas cot with pad, but this is better for my purpose in many, many ways.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I was having trouble pulling it with my jeep. It is Spring over on 35s. I tried an eight inch drop but it was not low enough, so I ordered this 11".

Here it is hooked up, the picture is odd, the jeep looks low in the back but on the road it looks normal.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I repurposed the ATV tie downs that were mounted to the floor and mounted them to the wall. I cut them to length, scuffed off the rust and painted them black

Got a fire extinguisher and first aid kit installed. Also some coat hooks. I really need to paint the interior

BigAl

Expedition Leader
My brother came to help and we really torn things up. I stripped out the old shelves.

Using birch plywood, we started with the upper shelf. This was a pain to fit because the trailer has a curved front

Next we made a face frame using a pocket tool jig. This was the first time I tried this tool. It is fast and slick. The face frame was also curved at the top and a pain to fit

Next some more curves on the shelving unit that were a pain to fit. I used dados to set the shelves.

I took the face frame off to fit the shelves. It is also attached with pocket screws. I love these things!

I am fitting an oak counter top in the open spot.
I need to make the upper doors.
The shelves are sized to hold clear plastic utility boxes.
I am putting LED light above the counter.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Another productive day, my buddy Brad and I installed new flooring. Brad's shop is big enough to fit the trailer which was awesome. We re-drove all the screws that hold down the plywood. We scrapped all the high spots and I used a cup brush/grinder around the edges to remove old caulk and grime. We used a electric heater to get the temp up into the 60s. The flooring was really easy to work with. (28)18" squares at $2 each, so $56 total:):) I am leaving the heater in overnight to hopefully get a good seal down.

Last edited:

uscg2008

Explorer
Damn that thing is coming along sub'd for this. I want to do a 6x10 conversion some day so I'll be watching this for ideas
:costumed-smiley-007

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Looking great. I love mine. It is the most used setup I have owned.

Thanks guys. I hope to take advantage of the crappy weather we are having and do a few more mods before paddling season starts. I got some new ideas from Mr. Trout's build thread! Your build is killer

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Nice! Looks like your off to a great start.

Have you thought about insulating the walls... It helps a lot with noise and temps. I just wanted to point it out before you installed the cabinets.

Don

-

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Nice! Looks like your off to a great start.

Have you thought about insulating the walls... It helps a lot with noise and temps. I just wanted to point it out before you installed the cabinets.

Don

-

Yes thanks, if the trailer was new I think I'd insulate, but for it's age and what it is, I'm going to forego wall insulation. I will insulate the ceiling and then sheet with luan. Noise is not an issue where I like to camp. I've camped in it this winter using a little propane heater and it stayed really warm. In the summer, I sleep with all the doors propped open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94