Tactical 4x4 Bumper Question

AlexM

After waiting over a month longer than expected for delivery of my bumpers I spent most of yesterday attempting to install the rear bumper. Instructions are straightforward, and in reality the installation has been straightforward, except.... I've gotten the bumper about 95% installed and the gaps are still huge. It looks as though it should be about to move about 3/4" up and in still, even though I can loosely mount all of the bolts. Has anyone else had this problem or is this installation error?

On the underside the bumper looks nearly flush against the frame, but everywhere else looks like it has room to slot into. None of my pushing, shoving, or other applications of force have gotten things tighter, so I was considering trying to use the main mounting bolts to pull everything in, but I'm apprehensive about stripping out their threads on the bumper. Thanks in advance.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I don't think you can properly judge if you don't have every bolt completely tightened up. Do that, take a look, and get back to us. My T4x4 bumper looks great with no noticeable "huge" gaps.

AlexM

I don't think you can properly judge if you don't have every bolt completely tightened up. Do that, take a look, and get back to us. My T4x4 bumper looks great with no noticeable "huge" gaps.
Thats fair. I'll take the bolts to a reasonable amount of torque and see how it looks. Thinking I might get a little sick at work around noon today and have to take a half day...

krick3tt

Adventurer
I was fortunate in that the T4 owner came to Denver and installed mine in my garage, so it was a professional install. It was to replace the existing T4 bumper, so no real difference was noted in the 'gaps'. Original install by I and my friends had the same clearances as now. I have about 1/4 to 3/8 clearance all around and I would not call that large by my standard.
Tighten it up and then check.

AlexM

Apologies for the delay, I got caught up installing the rest of my new bumpers. It did tighten up some with the bolts, but the gaps are still big enough for me to get my fingers in, and the most annoying thing is that one side's gaps are bigger than the other (this may be my truck's fault though as it was in an accident before I got it). At the end of the day its all acceptable (what am I gonna do, go buy a different bumper?), but I guess I was just hoping for things to be a little tighter.

Everywhere else along the bumper fits nice and neat, except for in the areas shown.

94Discovery

Adventurer
You need a gap for when everything flex ,and you just said it was in an accident maybe it was not repaired to spec.
What you can do is to paint the gap in black so it work as a transition.

Send those picts to TR and tell them unacceptable fit and ask them for suggestions! Mine is tight, there is not need for a gap that big because there is zero flex back there. One other member had a really bad fit problem on his rear and I can't remember who it was but mine fits lovely with no more than a 1/4" gap all around. I'd argue the bumper gaps are tighter than factory gaps....lol

The only thing I can think of is maybe the spacers that are welded inside the bumper that rest on the OEM bumper support are too short (not tall enough) because that is where all the weight on the bumper sits and where the gap is set. There are also two tabs that pull the front of the bumper up that are under the tailgate; its possible that you may have pushed the bumper under those tabs, but again the weight of the bumper should sit on those welded spacers for the height/gap so I can't imagine you could even get the bumper fully seated without being over the top of those tabs.

Here is mine! The third photo shows the spacers that rest the bumper on top of the OEM bumper support! Sorry man, but I would not accept that so ensure your fit is right all around and take pics and contact TR about this.

94Discovery

Adventurer
Send those picts to TR and tell them unacceptable fit and ask them for suggestions! Mine is tight, there is not need for a gap that big because there is zero flex back there. One other member had a really bad fit problem on his rear and I can't remember who it was but mine fits lovely with no more than a 1/4" gap all around. I'd argue the bumper gaps are tighter than factory gaps....lol

The only thing I can think of is maybe the spacers that are welded inside the bumper that rest on the OEM bumper support are too short (not tall enough) because that is where all the weight on the bumper sits and where the gap is set. There are also two tabs that pull the front of the bumper up that are under the tailgate; its possible that you may have pushed the bumper under those tabs, but again the weight of the bumper should sit on those welded spacers for the height/gap so I can't imagine you could even get the bumper fully seated without being over the top of those tabs.

Here is mine! The third photo shows the spacers that rest the bumper on top of the OEM bumper support! Sorry man, but I would not accept that so ensure your fit is right all around and take pics and contact TR about this.
View attachment 526526
View attachment 526527
View attachment 526528
Body to frame flex incase it was misunderstood

iowalr4

Adventurer
Mine just kinda sat about like this. I couldn't get it much further up, but I don't know that I would want it higher. If I really bang on something I don't want contact with the body or with the plastic bottom of the tail lights. I wasn't considering or thinking "flex"... more about BANG!

IMG_20171005_100112-X3.jpg

LKLK

I agree with Victory, there are some adjustments to be made on your bumper alignment. I wouldn't be surprised if something needed to be ground down a bit. Other than that. Good job on the DIY install. You'll get there, just have a little patience!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles