What Option

Votes: 12 41.4%

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Captm

Adventurer
Captm - Regarding a Flippac, isn't that essentially the same as what I would consider with keeping my RTT/Shell? I would still have to pack it up every time I want to take the truck somewhere. And those things are $$$$!

Yes and no, don't you just love those kind of answers? You can stand up in a Flippac, get dressed, make coffee, hang out if it's raining/snowing. Packing up is my least favorite part while on a trip. I'm working very hard on alleviating this by building everything in - a place for everything and every thing in it's place or something like that. It's a planning and learning process. I'm at the point where I now want drawers instead of boxes - it'll add a few more pounds but that's the trade off.
I paid $2500 for a used one knowing that I would drilling holes, cutting, grinding and glassing so a new one didn't make sense.
Good luck on which ever way you decide to go.
Cheers

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Just want to chime in on the shell conversation. I have a family of five. We travel in a DC '05 Tundra. It came with a nice ARE tonneau cover. We really liked it, because it kept things dry and mostly dust free. Now we have a nice used shell. I can't imagine trying to travel with out it. We also piull an M416 trailer. I know just how you feel about packing up each time you move. I hate it. I am always trying to figure out what is best. I would vote to build (or find) a simple trailer. Build it as you go. Use it for a base camper, and then have in the truck (under the shell) just what you need when you leave camp. This is probably the most expensive route. Whatever route you go I'd never get rid of the shell.

PS. I found my M416 for $400.00. This included the pintle hitch for my truck. I have since reworked the tailgate, build a side table, and tried to slow the rust. I am into it probably a total of $550.00. I added a couple shots of it for you.

Attachments

• Shafer Trail 2010 003-1.jpg
    Shafer Trail 2010 003-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 62
  • San Juan Mission 2010 015-01.jpg
    San Juan Mission 2010 015-01.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Box Rocket

Since I have both I'll chime in. there is a huge convenience factor to having everything in the truck but as you mentioned that can also be a drawback. I vote for the trailer. My trailer has become completely invaluable and makes so many things about camping easier. I'm sure you already know that 4 people crammed in a truck WITH all your gear can be cramped to say the least. Having a trailer makes space so much more comfortable IMO.

There is a misconception that a trailer is an expensive undertaking. Yeah if you go for all the bells/whistles like a Chaser etc with daul batteries, water tank, full kitchen yada yada yada then yeah it can add up quickly. But keeping it simple can be very effective. My trailer doesn't have it's own power source, doesn't have a water tank (although I carry 10 gallons of water on the trailer) doesn't have fancy airbag/trailing arm suspension or anything else really to give it "bling" factor. I built my trailer from scratch with probably less fabrication experience than you have. It was by far the biggest fab project I had ever tackled at the time. All said and done, I was into the trailer about $1600 for materials and construction in my garage. An expensive coupler and matching wheels were some of the biggest expenses so it could have cost less without those. I have spent a bit more over the last few years but not much and I'm probably still barely over $2000 total investment on the trailer without factoring in the cost of the RTT. And since you already have a RTT that should give you an idea of what you can pull together for a similar cost to a decent lift for your truck.

My trailer build thread is here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23624-Box-Rocket-Homemade-trailer-build

maybe it will give you some ideas.

cs0430

Thanks everyone.

I can definitely see the phrase, "Pay to play" is coming into effect here. I guess realistically, even being into light/moderate 4x4'ing I won't regret putting a lift back on my truck, and anything I use to mount the RTT to the shell until the trailer is done can be resold after the trailer is complete.

Box rocket, that is very much the type of trailer I would be building. The cost estimate I used was based on this person's build http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/49690-Small-Garage-Big-Project They estimated they had 3-4000 into their build.

I would try to build something similar to yours and his, probably without the big side boxes he has. I would like to have a slide-out kitchen with a space to put my coleman stove and a sink (not plumbed, just to fill will water and wash dishes), hold utensils, paper towels, etc. I really like the gas piston system for raising the RTT, but I would be worried about it being exposed to the salty weather where I live (about 2 blocks from the beach).

I'm thinking of going lift and rack on my shell so I have a good, functioning set-up for this hunting/camping season, and meanwhile start designing and building a trailer.

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Ok, this I need to know more about (sorry to hijack)....can you tell me the MFR? I have a RRC that is now my solo trek truck (the Westy being the family camper) and this would be really nice for travel. Thanks!

Pacific Crest Canvas in Alameda, CA made the tent for me. It was a custom job and they would need to have your vehicle to measure off of for a good fit.
Eric Mckinley
eric@pacificcrestcanvas.com
(510) 521-1938

SALT

Pacific Crest Canvas in Alameda, CA made the tent for me. It was a custom job and they would need to have your vehicle to measure off of for a good fit.
Eric Mckinley
eric@pacificcrestcanvas.com
(510) 521-1938

Sorry...more hi-jacking.

That topper tent by PCC is exactly what I've been looking for. It appears to be well built, simple and durable. Can you please provide any more feedback or photos on the item? I emailed Eric @ PCC. Thanks.

Per the original topic, I'd vote option #1 and build a platform rack / drawer system as shown in LBPtaco's image. You can always build a trailer later, but the upgraded suspension will always be a worthy investment.

Cheers,

Salt

Last edited:

cs0430

Sorry...more hi-jacking.

That topper tent by PCC is exactly what I've been looking for. It appears to be well built, simple and durable. Can you please provide any more feedback or photos on the item? I emailed Eric @ PCC. Thanks.

Per the original topic, I'd vote option #1 and build a platform rack / drawer system as shown in LBPtaco's image. You can always build a trailer later, but the upgraded suspension will always be a worthy investment.

Cheers,

Salt

No worries on the hijack at all. I think I have seen pictures of your truck before Salt and it's exactly where I'd like mine to end up. Nicely done!

I have gone back to an OME lift, but have given up on the RTT on the truck idea. Between issues of bed sides spreading and the cab of the truck not being rated for any weight to speak of, the RTT will be collecting dust for a while. Eventually I will be building a trailer as soon as my bank account and time permits.

NetDep

Adventurer
Some say chocolate and some say vanilla. You are making an important decision. The one I came to, after considerable wallet and soul searching, was to get a teardrop trailer. I like the idea of the comfort the trailer affords, the fact that I can go somewhere and drop off the trailer then wheel around - explore - photograph - whatever and return to a safe, warm, dry and comfortable place. It will depend on what you do and how you do it. For the G/F - she might like the idea of a trailer? If you look at my flickr set of truck/trailer you can see that I have a hybrid of what you are talking about so I should have voted other - but voted for the second since I thought the trailer would be a priority for you given what you had talked about. Also, please note that I have an off-road capable trailer -- not for crawling the Duck's Nuts in Moab or anything but for Forest Service roads and I think she is quite capable of that.

Whatever you do - make it fun and post pics!!! We LOVE pics!!!!

VATACO

Adventurer
If you're constantly moving to a new spot each day rather than base camping and exploring I'd go with the upgraded suspension and skip the trailer. If you're more of a camper than an expo sort, the trailer will be more useful in many cases as you could leave it set up and still have use of the truck.

Personally I'm going with a Snugpro shell and a CVT Mt. Shasta on the roof combined with a full Icon suspension with All Pro Expo Leaf pack. My only concern at this point is whether I should go back down to 265/75/16s for the wider tread and a bit more rubber on the road from my 255/85/16s.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
What kind of budget are you looking at? I made this trailer for about $2500.
Trailer.jpg
Spend some time finding a budget and doing a cost vs needs/wants analysis going in both directions. Using ebay, you can save considerable amounts on costs when you know what you need. It's been indispensable on my latest trailer build.

cs0430

What kind of budget are you looking at? I made this trailer for about $2500.

Spend some time finding a budget and doing a cost vs needs/wants analysis going in both directions. Using ebay, you can save considerable amounts on costs when you know what you need. It's been indispensable on my latest trailer build.

I'd say my budget is right about there. I have a preliminary design for what I want to do.

Without giving it too much thought, the things I want out of this trailer, in order, are:
1. Able to use my RTT. I'm a little paranoid/OCD when it comes to my truck, so hearing the occasional story of a bed spreading, shell cracking, etc. has kept me from using my RTT on my truck. Good thing I bought a reinforced Snug Top...:oops:
2. Organized, self-contained kitchen. Thinking about a slide out kitchen at this point, propane tank (shown) to connect to stove when kitchen is out. Possibly an ARB fridge down the road.
3. Jerry can storage - I have never really NEEDED one, but I have two and I have been close to running out of gas by the time I make it to a gas station. Not crazy about keeping a jerry can in my enclosed shell.
4. Integrated camp lighting - Thinking some Rigid Dually's (or a Chinese equivalent)
5. Integrated water tank - for now it will just be some water jugs, but eventually water store would be nice.

1 and 2 are really all I'd want immediately, the rest could come as funds and time allow.

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Sorry...more hi-jacking.

Cheers,

Salt

To address both points here, I am still very happy with the tent. The build quality is top notch! I'm a full time student in my last year of school so I haven't used it as much as I would like to...

Your second point, the bed drawers are great, I have 2 aux batteries in front of the drawers, but one thing I didn't take into consideration is the space between the platform and the roof of the shell. I kinda wish I had gone with a high top shell. It would make it easier to get in and out of the bed.

SALT

No worries on the hijack at all. I think I have seen pictures of your truck before Salt and it's exactly where I'd like mine to end up. Nicely done!

I have gone back to an OME lift, but have given up on the RTT on the truck idea. Between issues of bed sides spreading and the cab of the truck not being rated for any weight to speak of, the RTT will be collecting dust for a while. Eventually I will be building a trailer as soon as my bank account and time permits.

Thanks pbcolt! I've been very happy with my OME set-up so far. Glad to hear that you're give your OME kit another try.

I also wish I had purchased a reinforced Snugtop..doh. My current daydream is adding some comfort and ease of use to my family camping set-up. I've been drooling over the CVT tents, but the 4 person version is just to much for my Snugtop XV. In a perfect world I'd love a off road teardrop with a RTT mounted on it. Deluxe living for four! However, that is crazy $$ so that not going to happen. I've also been drooling over the Manley ORV trailers. For now, I'm planning to build some easily removable platform/drawers and refine my gear packing and re-packing process.

EDIT: Eric from PCC emailed me back about the truck cap/tent. Sadly, they did not save the pattern and kindly declined my request for a custom build. This is because I'm not local and they would need to measure my truck and work around my roof rack. Oh well....back to the drawing board.

good luck!

Salt

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94