Tacoma vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road

armedandlethal

For long-distance driving, I think the 4Runner is more comfortable (for me) than the Tacoma. I looked at Tacoma's at one point and really didn't like the seat design. I'd suggest you go to a dealership and take them both for a test drive at some point.
I have taken both for a test drive, and did feel that the seat in the Tacoma sat a bit lower, and slightly more cramped than the 4Runner. But either one is going to be a setup from what I currently have in terms of comfort, and a decrease in seat room.

kwill

Observer
I've owned a 2012 Tacoma, a 2014 T4R and currently drive a 2019 Tacoma. If you don't need a pickup bed then the T4R is a much more comfortable vehicle. I wish I still had mine.

Dalko43

Explorer
I take it that the towing ability is lacking due to the drivetrain of the Tacoma? Based on Toyota's website, the Tacoma has the larger towing capacity at 6400 lb while the 4Runner is at 5000 lb. I don't expect the need to tow much besides something like a dual sport or a small trailer, so either would work. But I'm guessing that the 4Runner can haul stuff easier due to the engine/trans combo, just with a overall lower capacity. And yeah, since I don't need a bed for day to day use and really haven't used the one I have now for much other than bike transport (which I can still do with a hitch mount), the 4Runner seems like the better choice.

You are correct: in terms of towing, the Tacoma is rated higher. However, I still consider the 3.5l v6 barely adequate for truck purposes. The Tacoma may be rated for 6.4k lbs of towing, but I can promise you that towing that much weight on a regular basis with the Tacoma's drivetrain will not be pleasant. For all practical purposes, ~5k lbs is the limit for these midsized Toyota SUV's and trucks given their current drivetrains.

In terms of payload, the 4runner has the Tacoma beat by at least a few hundred lbs. And while you don't necessarily want to use up every lb of that payload rating with the 4runner's also somewhat mediocre 4.0l v6 w/ 5 speed auto, the overall chassis of the 4runner (based on the LC Prado) is much more purpose-built for handling that kind of weight IMO.

The 4runner's 4.0l v6 and 5 speed auto isn't leaps-and-bounds better than the Tacoma's drivetrain, but I think there is slight advantage in terms of low end torque, which is especially noticeable when starting to accelerate or move a trailer or load. At the high end of the RPM band, the Tacoma's 3.5l v6 does seem to perform very well...I just don't think a truck engine should have to rev high in order to deliver usable grunt. That's entirely subjective however. By all accounts, the Tacoma is still a solid and capable vehicle.

Given your desired end uses, I think either vehicle will suffice. I just think the 4runner offers more comfort and somewhat better build quality out of the two choices.

armedandlethal

You are correct: in terms of towing, the Tacoma is rated higher. However, I still consider the 3.5l v6 barely adequate for truck purposes. The Tacoma may be rated for 6.4k lbs of towing, but I can promise you that towing that much weight on a regular basis with the Tacoma's drivetrain will not be pleasant. For all practical purposes, ~5k lbs is the limit for these midsized Toyota SUV's and trucks given their current drivetrains.

In terms of payload, the 4runner has the Tacoma beat by at least a few hundred lbs. And while you don't necessarily want to use up every lb of that payload rating with the 4runner's also somewhat mediocre 4.0l v6 w/ 5 speed auto, the overall chassis of the 4runner (based on the LC Prado) is much more purpose-built for handling that kind of weight IMO.

The 4runner's 4.0l v6 and 5 speed auto isn't leaps-and-bounds better than the Tacoma's drivetrain, but I think there is slight advantage in terms of low end torque, which is especially noticeable when starting to accelerate or move a trailer or load. At the high end of the RPM band, the Tacoma's 3.5l v6 does seem to perform very well...I just don't think a truck engine should have to rev high in order to deliver usable grunt. That's entirely subjective however. By all accounts, the Tacoma is still a solid and capable vehicle.

Given your desired end uses, I think either vehicle will suffice. I just think the 4runner offers more comfort and somewhat better build quality out of the two choices.
Gotcha, and it sounds like the low end torque, if really an issue for the user can be addressed by re-gearing or going with the manual version. And you'd be correct, either one will work well for what I want. Just need to decide essentially between having a truck bed or slightly better ride quality. Though either one will be a step up in comfort for me, compared to my current truck.

yfarm

Observer
I have owned a 1997,2002 and 2004 4 runners, the last a v8 as well as 2010 4cyl Reg cab and 2015 4.0 Tacomas. Son has had 2002 sr5,2012 Sr5,and 2016 Trail Premium 4 runners. The 4 runners are better road vehicles and due to length have a slight advantage off highway In my opinion. Currently have the 2015 Tacoma, about to be sold and a JKU rubicon, once the jeep thing is out of my blood will return to a 4 runner. Arguably, the best value for a dual purpose SUV. Live in deep south Texas, was 106 in the shade yesterday, having your cargo in air conditioning is nice, lived in the upper midwest in the past, same thing about heat when its 20 below and stuff in your covered bed freezes.

Last edited:

armedandlethal

I have owned a 1997,2002 and 2004 4 runners, the last a v8 as well as 2010 4cyl Reg cab and 2015 4.0 Tacomas. Son has had 2002 sr5,2012 Sr5,and 2016 Trail Premium 4 runners. The 4 runners are better road vehicles and due to length have a slight advantage off highway In my opinion. Currently have the 2015 Tacoma, about to be sold and a JKU rubicon, once the jeep thing is out of my blood will return to a 4 runner. Arguably, the best value for a dual purpose SUV. Live in deep south Texas, was 106 in the shade yesterday, having your cargo in air conditioning is nice, lived in the upper midwest in the past, same thing about heat when its 20 below and stuff in your covered bed freezes.
Hadn't considered keeping gear cool/heated depending on climate, but definitely a positive over the Tacoma. I do like the 4Runner and most areas it seems to outshine the Tacoma, at least for my purposes. I just wish that it came in more color options like the Tacoma.

Dallas TRDPro

I looked at the Tacoma when I was getting rid of my Rubicon. I've always been a Jeep guy, but always loved the 4R's. So I drove a TRD Pro and new that was the truck for me. I don't miss the Jeeps at all. Hoping the 2021 LED headlights will be direct swap. Thats really my only complaint even though the halogens are fine for my purposes and they worked great in the snow of Moab because they never froze.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I looked at the Tacoma when I was getting rid of my Rubicon. I've always been a Jeep guy, but always loved the 4R's. So I drove a TRD Pro and new that was the truck for me. I don't miss the Jeeps at all. Hoping the 2021 LED headlights will be direct swap. Thats really my only complaint even though the halogens are fine for my purposes and they worked great in the snow of Moab because they never froze.

I wasn't aware that the 2021 MY was finally getting LED headlights. Crazy that they'd wait until the very end of the generation to make a change like that, it's long overdue.

4RExpo

I like 4Runners (hence my username), but I think the Tacoma is the better choice for right now. IMO, the 4Runner is overdue for a 6th Gen.

I compared the Tacoma TRD Off Road to the 4Runner TRD Off Road - and bought the Tacoma.

Pros for Tacoma:
Better Safety (actually a IIHS Top Safety with the LED headlights).
15% Better MPG - means about 60 more miles per tank (Probably because the 4Runners extra 300 lbs of weight and older engine, but overtime it adds up).
Nice interior hidden storage under the rear seats and behind the rear seats.
Better towing - we are looking at a couple travel trailers and it gives us more choices.
Blind spot monitoring is really a nice added safety feature.
Tacoma Off Road does not have the fake (non-functioning hood scoop) - with the 4Runner I would have had to swap hoods or buy a scoop-free hood which would be a hassle.
Better resale - In 2019, the Tacoma was the #1 vehicle (including cars, subs, and trucks) in resale value. The 4Runner has great resale, too, but even 4% less than the Tacoma at 3 years is about $1500 difference.
The Tacoma has more headroom, shoulder room, hip room, and leg room. They are very similar, but the xtra 1/2 inch here or there help.
I have used the bed in the Tacoma more than I thought I would and it really makes this vehicle very versatile.

When/if the 6th Gen 4Runner comes around, I reserve the right to change my mind - lol :)

adaml

I wasn't aware that the 2021 MY was finally getting LED headlights. Crazy that they'd wait until the very end of the generation to make a change like that, it's long overdue.

That's basically Toyota's modus operandi. Look at all of their cars. 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra ...

You can always add a topper/camper/cap (whatever you want to call it) to the tacoma and have substantially more dry storage than the 4runner. I'm on my second tacoma now and think they are by far one of the best mid-size 4wd vehicles available. Never understood all the grief the 3.6L powertrain gets. I've never had much of a complaint but I think you just need to keep in mind the vehicles purpose. It is not a sports car and it is not a full size truck so I wouldn't expect it to perform like either of those. The seating position is subjective but not much different than my jeep XJ and I never have felt cramped driving my 3rd gen (6'2") with sunroof. I understand everyone is different and respect that but want to caution you from putting too much weight on internet strangers' opinions. Having said that the 4runner is also a great option.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
No camper shell will ever be 100% dry or dust/particulate proof like the inside of a vehicle. And when you throw a camper shell on a truck you pretty much negate the entire advantage of the truck when considering putting dirt bikes and other large items in the bed. These vehicles are both great options, it's hard to go wrong either way.

adaml

No camper shell will ever be 100% dry or dust/particulate proof like the inside of a vehicle. And when you throw a camper shell on a truck you pretty much negate the entire advantage of the truck when considering putting dirt bikes and other large items in the bed. These vehicles are both great options, it's hard to go wrong either way.
My cap is totally dry but I'll admit some dust makes its way into the bed (though that's more from design of the bed than the cap). If I want to take bikes somewhere, I have a hitch mount.

beef tits

Between the two I would look hard at the new Bronco. Toyotas are great, I love them to death.. but a rig with a removable top that isn't a Jeep is pretty desirable IMO. Ford will likely cost you more in the long run but honestly how long are you actually going to keep it anyway?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My cap is totally dry but I'll admit some dust makes its way into the bed (though that's more from design of the bed than the cap). If I want to take bikes somewhere, I have a hitch mount.

More space in a camper shell with dust vs. less space in a dry and dust free environment that is climate controlled. I've had both, they both have their pros and cons, but if you're going to put a bike on a hitch carrier then you've already dismissed 90% of the beds versatility IMHO. The one huge pro to a pickup bed is the ability to keep stinky, wet, filthy stuff out of the cabin and you can never get that from a SUV.

Between the two I would look hard at the new Bronco. Toyotas are great, I love them to death.. but a rig with a removable top that isn't a Jeep is pretty desirable IMO. Ford will likely cost you more in the long run but honestly how long are you actually going to keep it anyway?

He'd have to wait until next summer for the Bronco and pay full sticker if not over and very few ever recommend buying the first year of an entirely new model. Give the Bronco 2-3 years to work things out and the new to wear off and it'll likely be a popular vehicle for a lot of us to make the switch, I know I will be considering it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles