Tacoma vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road

armedandlethal

I'm in the market to purchase a Tacoma or 4Runner TRD Off-Road, and wanted to get some input on those who have more experience with these vehicles. I had an opportunity today to test drive a 2020 4Runner SR5 Premium and 2019 Tacoma SR5. I enjoyed both, but for the short ride couldn't feel any major differences between the two. For the most part, I am at a toss up between the two, and it might come down to wanting an enclosed space or an open bed. While I typically don't use my current truck bed, I have started to mountain bike and use the bed to transport it to local trails. And I am looking at getting a dual sport/dirt bike in the future, so a truck bed might make that easier for both. But I can get a trailer hitch rack for both a mountain bike and dual sport, if I went with the 4Runner (or even the Tacoma). The main thing that turns me towards the 4Runner is the enclosed space (though feels small) and information suggesting that it has a smoother ride compared to the Tacoma. As for the Tacoma, I am more familiar with driving a truck (be it a smaller one) and like having a bed in case I need to use it. I also see that they are typically cheaper for the same model/year/miles and get marginally better gas mileage. Mainly, what I am looking for now is a good commuter to and from work, but also be comfortable on long drives (750 - 2000 miles). Don't have kids currently, so I don't really have a need for a more family orientated vehicle like the 4Runner, but also don't really use a truck bed all that often. From what I can tell either one would suite transporting bike/dual sport, with the right equipment. Would love to get some input and photos of different builds!

09Busaman

We have had both, our 4Runner was a 2014, great rig. I towed an enclosed 7x12 from Oklahoma to Bakersfield CA with no issues. We now have the Tacoma. Love both, just different needs a I guess. We should have kept the 4Runner in hindsight as we traded it a few years ago. One thing I do like about the Tacoma is the narrow track, it saved me some headache last weekend.

armedandlethal

We have had both, our 4Runner was a 2014, great rig. I towed an enclosed 7x12 from Oklahoma to Bakersfield CA with no issues. We now have the Tacoma. Love both, just different needs a I guess. We should have kept the 4Runner in hindsight as we traded it a few years ago. One thing I do like about the Tacoma is the narrow track, it saved me some headache last weekend.
Loving both seems to be the case for a lot of people who have had both. And as for keeping the 4Runner, do you mean keep it along side the Tacoma or instead of the Tacoma? And I take that because the Tacoma is narrower, it can be easier on narrow trails? Though I assume the extra length could be a downside as well.

jadmt

ignore button user
I think depends on your size. I am 5'10ish normal build and and the tacoma seems really tight in the cab. Makes me feel like what a 6'2" 250lb guy must feel like lol....

armedandlethal

I think depends on your size. I am 5'10ish normal build and and the tacoma seems really tight in the cab. Makes me feel like what a 6'2" 250lb guy must feel like lol....
Yeah, I could tell that the Tacoma felt a bit smaller than the 4Runner. But I am coming from a full size truck, so either way they both feel more compact to me.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's a tough decision, I don't envy you. In terms of the drivetrain I prefer the 4.0L in the 4Runner to the 3.5L in the Tacoma but it has more to do with the transmission pairing and gearing than anything. I felt cramped and is if I were sitting on the floor in the Tacoma and I am only 5'10", but I haven't sat in one since 2017 and they supposedly changed the seating geometry recently so it might be better?! The Tacoma has a more up to date interior and infotainment system. Pre plandemic your money went further with a Tacoma when buying new but both have been hard to come by and selling for more of late.

If I had to pick, the 4Runner would get my nod but I am a tad biased as I have had three 5th Gens. I haven't owned a Tacoma since my 2001 I got new back in 2001, I keep flirting with the idea of getting another one but I can never fully fall in love with it enough to justify the purchase. I'd likely put a camper shell on the Tacoma if I bought one, effectively making it into a more rudimentary 4Runner of sorts and completely negating it's truck abilities lol. That said, we no longer own a 4Runner either.

Get a hitch carrier for both the bicycles and the enduro bike and you can load them easier than you can in the back of a pickup bed. I used a hitch carrier for my 450 on our last 4Runner and it was a breeze to use.

hvjW9jr.jpg

armedandlethal

That's a tough decision, I don't envy you. In terms of the drivetrain I prefer the 4.0L in the 4Runner to the 3.5L in the Tacoma but it has more to do with the transmission pairing and gearing than anything. I felt cramped and is if I were sitting on the floor in the Tacoma and I am only 5'10", but I haven't sat in one since 2017 and they supposedly changed the seating geometry recently so it might be better?! The Tacoma has a more up to date interior and infotainment system. Pre plandemic your money went further with a Tacoma when buying new but both have been hard to come by and selling for more of late.

If I had to pick, the 4Runner would get my nod but I am a tad biased as I have had three 5th Gens. I haven't owned a Tacoma since my 2001 I got new back in 2001, I keep flirting with the idea of getting another one but I can never fully fall in love with it enough to justify the purchase. I'd likely put a camper shell on the Tacoma if I bought one, effectively making it into a more rudimentary 4Runner of sorts and completely negating it's truck abilities lol. That said, we no longer own a 4Runner either.

Get a hitch carrier for both the bicycles and the enduro bike and you can load them easier than you can in the back of a pickup bed. I used a hitch carrier for my 450 on our last 4Runner and it was a breeze to use.

hvjW9jr.jpg
Thank you for the input, and not sure how bad the old seating was but even in the 2019 I test drove I felt much lower than in the 4Runner. As for the drivetrain, the apparent shifting issues or bad engine/transmission combo in the Tacoma is pushing me away from it. And I had be considering getting a hitch carrier for at least a dual sport. I need to also get something for the mountain bikes either way, as even in my full size I its tricky to get two of them in the bed without bumping them into each other. While I don't need the truck bed of the Tacoma, or need the larger/more seating room in the 4Runner; the 4Runner's better drivetrain and more comfortable ride (from what I've been told, but either will be an improvement for me) sounds like it should be the option I go with. I just wish the 4Runner had better color options in the 2020 model compared to the Tacoma.

09Busaman

Loving both seems to be the case for a lot of people who have had both. And as for keeping the 4Runner, do you mean keep it along side the Tacoma or instead of the Tacoma? And I take that because the Tacoma is narrower, it can be easier on narrow trails? Though I assume the extra length could be a downside as well.

It was a good all around rig, but I never wheeled it as hard as I have the Tacoma. Plenty of power, which the Tacoma lacks, and comfy for long trips. I traded the 4Runner to move into a 1 ton pickup. We looked at both before we purchased the Tacoma. We looked at the Tacoma, the 4 Runner, the Rubicon JKU and the Rubicon Gladiator. We decided, or she did she wanted the Tacoma so we purchased it. Hindsight, maybe the 4 Runner would have pulled our travel trailer better, who knows. I can say though that the Tacoma impresses me every time we take it out. We got up on some trails near Meadow Lake CA that weekend and I was thankful for the narrow track, between the cut trees, stumps, rocks, and obstacles we were getting around the Tacoma never missed a beat.

Dalko43

Explorer
The 4runner is, IMHO, better built compared to the Tacoma. Also a much more comfortable ride in terms of seating position, NVH and all-around suspension/handling.

Tacoma is still a well-built truck, but its payload is lacking and that new 3.5l v6, while adequate in terms of power, does not offer the same low-end torque of the 4.0l still used in the 4runner. It's a high-reving v6 that was mainly designed for cars, not trucks....and that's the main reason I've avoided the 3rd gen Tacoma's thus far.

If you need a pickup bed, and don't want the footprint of a Tundra, get the Tacoma...I still think it's the most durable midsized pickup on the market.

If you don't need a pickup bed, get the 4runner. I've just hit 100k miles with mine (with plenty of northeast winter/salt exposure). Other than replacing the A/C condenser unit and some basic servicing, there has been zero drama with owning this vehicle outside of warranty. YMMV, but the 4runners, in general, are solid, long-lasting vehicles.

armedandlethal

The 4runner is, IMHO, better built compared to the Tacoma. Also a much more comfortable ride in terms of seating position, NVH and all-around suspension/handling.

Tacoma is still a well-built truck, but its payload is lacking and that new 3.5l v6, while adequate in terms of power, does not offer the same low-end torque of the 4.0l still used in the 4runner. It's a high-reving v6 that was mainly designed for cars, not trucks....and that's the main reason I've avoided the 3rd gen Tacoma's thus far.

If you need a pickup bed, and don't want the footprint of a Tundra, get the Tacoma...I still think it's the most durable midsized pickup on the market.

If you don't need a pickup bed, get the 4runner. I've just hit 100k miles with mine (with plenty of northeast winter/salt exposure). Other than replacing the A/C condenser unit and some basic servicing, there has been zero drama with owning this vehicle outside of warranty. YMMV, but the 4runners, in general, are solid, long-lasting vehicles.
I take it that the towing ability is lacking due to the drivetrain of the Tacoma? Based on Toyota's website, the Tacoma has the larger towing capacity at 6400 lb while the 4Runner is at 5000 lb. I don't expect the need to tow much besides something like a dual sport or a small trailer, so either would work. But I'm guessing that the 4Runner can haul stuff easier due to the engine/trans combo, just with a overall lower capacity. And yeah, since I don't need a bed for day to day use and really haven't used the one I have now for much other than bike transport (which I can still do with a hitch mount), the 4Runner seems like the better choice.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am an avid mountain biker, trail runner, and occasional ATV’ing. Truck gets the vote. Being outside in the dirt, mud, muck, all the nasty, smelly stuff gets thrown in the bed. Quick wash at the car wash gets the grime out afterwards.

As a bike hauler, tailgate pad is so much easier than a rear rack. I’ve got both a hitch rack (Kuat) and rear pad, and when I had a Tacoma, I almost always used the rear pad.

It’s also done multiple Home Depot runs for weekend projects. Mulch, fertilizer, etc all thrown in the bed.

4Runner’s got some good things going for it as well. I’ve had a few. Enclosed space is nice at times. But I just feel a truck bed is more useable for me.

adaml

For long-distance driving, I think the 4Runner is more comfortable (for me) than the Tacoma. I looked at Tacoma's at one point and really didn't like the seat design. I'd suggest you go to a dealership and take them both for a test drive at some point.

armedandlethal

I am an avid mountain biker, trail runner, and occasional ATV’ing. Truck gets the vote. Being outside in the dirt, mud, muck, all the nasty, smelly stuff gets thrown in the bed. Quick wash at the car wash gets the grime out afterwards.

As a bike hauler, tailgate pad is so much easier than a rear rack. I’ve got both a hitch rack (Kuat) and rear pad, and when I had a Tacoma, I almost always used the rear pad.

It’s also done multiple Home Depot runs for weekend projects. Mulch, fertilizer, etc all thrown in the bed.

4Runner’s got some good things going for it as well. I’ve had a few. Enclosed space is nice at times. But I just feel a truck bed is more useable for me.
That's understandable, and while I don't use my current truck bed all that often, it is nice to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior