tacoma vs 4runner for expo rig

MichaelFromAZ

I have a 99 4runner and a 96 taco to choose from. Whats everyone else using and I would like to get the pros and cons on both.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Personal opinion, but if you don't need the seating capacity, I'd say go for the Tacoma. Lots of cargo space and the interior stays cleaner since it's separate from the cab.

But either would be good. Plenty of people with both on here.

One item of note is that I know some 96 3.4l V6's had HG issues. So take that into consideration. And if you really have no preference from the above points, I'd take the newest vehicle.

I have a 99 4runner and a 96 taco to choose from. Whats everyone else using and I would like to get the pros and cons on both.

Welcome to ExPo, Michael! Glad to have ya... Seein' as you're a new member, I'll go ahead and break the bad news: There's no such thing as an "expo" rig. :( Sorry. ExPo is a website, not a truck. (See "Basic Definitions.") I think what you're talking about is an overlanding or expedition vehicle.... not flaming ya, buddy, just clarifying a common misconception.

Now, both trucks are a great choice! My answer starts with another question:

When you travel, what are the things you value most? All things being equal between them, of course, the two most important factors are pretty well proven in these trucks: reliability and serviceability. The Taco and 4Runner have both in spades... Instead, I'll highlight things like comfort, load security, capacity, efficiency, and maneuverability. How you use your overland vehicle and what you prioritize as critical needs are the single-most important factors in choosing its platform.

That said, you offered little details about either truck. Although similar, what model each is will have a significant impact on their capabilities... Tell us more about the engines, drivelines, and condition... For example, is the truck dbl cab, ext cab, or short? How about lockers and rust or mileage? Etc...

Glad to help, just need more info for accurate pro/con list. Thanks!

4x4mike

Adventurer
After having a pickup for so long I enjoy the enclosed space of my 4runner. Gear that doesn't fit inside goes on the roof or off the back. I've got a yakima rack and custom rack that spans the Yakima bars and bike trays. I've got the '99 4runner and have retrofited in a factory elocker. It's gets me to where I've got to go so I'm happy.

MichaelFromAZ

Right, well both vehicals are 4x4 2.7 5spd base model trucks. The tacoma is an ext. cab has lockright in rear diff and manual hubs and thats about it. The 4runner has bilstien rear shocks with ome coils, fabtech coilovers in front with total chaos upper control arms open front and rear diffs a.d.d hubs and has trxus mt 33x12.5x16. the 4runner is serving as a dd for the moment because the taco is retiring as a 4wheeling toy. I know the 4runner looks like its set up alot better but thats because i robbed the front end parts and wheels off the taco when i got the runner. I dont REALLY need that much room for other people joining me on my overland adventures. I was thinking about tuning tacoma into fulltime dd and making the 4runner the overlanding rig but before i down one truck or the other i was just wondering what other peoples thoughts were on the platforms.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I like the 5 speed for a little more umph when traveling up the hils loaded (i've got the 3.4). Another plus for the 4runner is that sleeping inside, warm, dry and protected is always an option.

valkyrie

Adventurer
For practical purposes, the protected storage area would make the 4R a better choice for Overlanding IMO. I place a high priority on keeping stuff locked & dry.

The 2.7 is a great engine, probably one of Toyota's best, but it will be working to move a fully-loaded 4Runner up mountain passes.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I am pleased with my 4Runner, although I occasionally lust after a crew cab Tacoma...Grass is greener on the other side type of thing. Really the vehicle is what you make of it. I like having a fully functional second row of seats and the hatch back and rear window are perfect for my dog. For very little money, you can develop a very capable back country vehicle out of both the Tacoma and 4Runner.

Because of the limited space in the 4Runner, organization is key. I built a set of drawers and a roof basket to help keep me organized and make the use of space more efficient.

The down side is suspension and aftermarket accessories. The factory 4Runner suspension is great, but if a lift is in the future, you are limited on the options and the price seems to be higher.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
You guys are forgetting that a topper (which can be had for cheap on CL) provides dry gear storage as well as sleeping quarters in the Tacoma.

MichaelFromAZ

And another question how many of you dd your rigs? i dont mind it to much but i hate just knowing im wasting my tires away on driving back and forth to work. which ever vehical becomes the toy will be getting a small turbo just for helping up those hills. I love the 2.7 but it could use a little umpfff. me bacround is mainly performance with supras and hondas and whatnot, but in the last year i have decided to get out of the garage and into the dirt! Prerunner stuff is WAY to expensive and to many rules rockcrawling is fun but its a purpose build truck and not much else you can do with a truck on 44 inch tires...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Having had a Tacoma for 2 1/2 years of exploring in my own way (mostly short trips solo) I switched to a 99 4runner last year. My reasons were primarily because the 4runner made a better DD (I can't have more than 1 4 wheeled vehicle at a time.) I also got tired of the dust getting into the back of the Taco since it was my sleeping area - very difficult to seal a truck bed against dust and of course it is also not heated/air conditioned like the passenger compartment of an SUV so my water and food are exposed to the extremes of temperature. I also like the greater creature comforts of the 4runner vs the more spartan Taco, and the fact that the 4runner has a shorter wheelbase than the ex-cab Taco makes it easier to maneuver.

IME, an SUV is a more versatile, all-around vehicle. A pickup can be a great dedicated rig, but it is somewhat more limited in what you can do with it.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
And another question how many of you dd your rigs? i dont mind it to much but i hate just knowing im wasting my tires away on driving back and forth to work...

You can always get a cheap set of wheels and put some all-seasons on there for your daily duties.

FlyFishExpert - I don't think the Tacoma suspension is cheaper. In fact, I think it's more expensive (leafs). I'd check out Sonoran Steel's site or go OME. But I think Sonoran Steel has it dialed in for 3rd gens.

dustboy

Explorer
It really boils down to passengers vs. cargo. I have an extracab Tacoma and I often wish I had two more real seats. But, in my daily activities, I need to haul stuff, so I'll always have a pickup.

BeachBoy

I prefer a tacoma. with double cab I get quite a lot of inside space for gear and /temp controlled" area.
And in the back I can throw everything and sleep in there.

Main down side is the length/wheelbase.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Everyone has their own opinions on these rigs. Suffice it to say people do a ton of wheeling and overlanding/expedition travel in both and they both perform like champs. I own an ex-cab '98 and a d-cab '03 Taco and my family is just the wife and I, so I removed the back seat entirely in the d-cab and there is a lot of climate controlled storage space there. I designed and built a custom topper for the bed to solve the sleeping quarters issue and we enjoy a comfy queen-sized self-inflating air and foam combo matress that works great. Also, the RTT's are fabulous additions if you are a truck guy and don't get the runner, but you could put one way up on the roof of a runner, the tradeoff being a higher COG than having one at bedrail height on a truck.

I have tried to sleep 2 in a runner, and have found that sleeping on a platform or RTT over the truck bed is nicer, roomier and does not require moving all of the gear out onto the ground and into the elements or into the front seats every time you want to go to sleep like you do in a runner. The wheelbase issue goes both ways as well. Some people like the shorter WB of a runner. Personally I love my longer wheelbase Tacos because I rarely lift a tire in the spots where the runners and FJCs have a foot of air under one. And the greater ground clearance of the Tacos over the runners helps to keep the breakover angle pretty similar even with the longer wheelbase. So in my mind, advantage Taco. Also you said the Taco has a rear locker, runner is open/open then for wheeling ability, advantage Taco. Same 2.7 motor and 5-speed in each, so its a wash unless you look at the gearing of the diffs, unfortunately without looking it up I can't tell you which model came with lower diff gearing, if they are not the same.

Most of it comes down to personal preference. In the end, if you don't have stong feelings about things like wheelbase and storage/sleeping issues, just go with the one with lower miles on the odo and go from there. Last thing regarding power with the 2.7 and running something like 33's... regear the diffs, whichever rig you decide on. You will not regret it. Oh, and post up pics as you build it up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior