Tacoma to Trooper, New Isuzu Owner

Japes

Displaced Texan
JL that is exactly what I want my to look like! I am trying to convice myself I will need an ARB bumper too!

Japes

Displaced Texan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got a set of 285/75/16 BFG ATs with 6-7 / 32nd of tread for 100$ off the Craigslist!

Seeing how well these fit and how much overall height it adds I might be satisfied with a 2 inch OME lift as they did on the Expowest Trooper.

I think a 3 or 4 inch might be overkill!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Trooper have huge wheel wells and don't need a ton of lift to fit tires. I wouldn't go over 3" suspension lift anyway, for ride and drivetrain issues.

Once you settle on a ride height it is not a bad idea to get your alignment checked (by a good alignment shop, not a "computerized" alignment by a tech who normally does oil changes or tire swaps), because camber alignment can be affected by the lift. 2" is marginal, may or may not take the camber out of spec.

Last edited:

jham

Adventurer
I just switched from a 99 trooper to a 4runner, but I haven't sold the trooper yet. Still drive it occasionally.

I've wanted a 4runner for a long time, but those troopers are very nice. Tons of interior room, and the hidden compartment under the rear seat is just cool. And useful.

The trooper seemed under-powered to me. Sluggish, and my mpg was terrible.

The 4wd system is actually really good. Someone said it earlier - that 99 trooper will walk through things that most other stock 4x4s will not. Many have limited slips in the rear.

Troopers are known to burn oil, mine did. Don't let that scare you. Switch to manual hubs first. I would also upgrade the intake and exhaust. That motor performs better when it breathes better. Oh, and the headlights suck. Terribly. Upgrade the bulbs and you'll want to add a decent set of fogs.

Congrats on the purchase!

Japes

Displaced Texan
Well, I completed my first trip with the Trooper this week. I moved from NEPA to Atlanta, GA. Overall the Trooper did very well on highway speeds, I averaged around 70 mph and I calculated my mpgs to be very close to 17. I was very happy with 17 considering I was in it hard the whole way hitting 80-85 quite often going down 81 then 85. Total distance was about 950 miles!

Only issues I had were a leaky tranny line requireing me to stop 2 times for a refill (Whole line needs replaced) and the lack of ABS in rainy weather (2 close calls).

I should be getting a new job here in a few weeks so I can start fixing / upgrading the problems it has.

Atlanta traffic has made me change my priorities.
First thing would be the OME lift and hope that it will make the ride a bit better.
Second thing would be a intake / exaust for more power.
Then work on offroad upgrades, pictures of the tranny line will be up soon!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I've heard Atlanta traffic is crazy.

A cheap handling upgrade is new sway bar bushings. Definitely get new springs, the factory ones are really soft. The OMEs are excellent, whichever you get. How are the shocks? OME shocks are great too, I love them.

Japes

Displaced Texan
I am going to upgrade shocks, springs, bushings, and possibly a aftermarket swaybar. I'm loooking at a 3in body and 3 in suspension lift .

Hatfield

Observer
I am going to upgrade shocks, springs, bushings, and possibly a aftermarket swaybar. I'm loooking at a 3in body and 3 in suspension lift .

I run OME 929's and a 1" body lift, and that is plenty of lift for me. Running 35's would be no problem whatsoever. If you are only going to run 265s, I really don't think you need a 3" body lift on top of 3" suspension. I would start with the 3" suspension, then if you are not happy get the body lift later on. Just a suggestion...

Japes

Displaced Texan
I'm on 285s now, gonna keep that size now, I like them a lot. I love the trooper but I'm struggling to keep it. A lot of descsions in the next few weeks. If I get a job in Texas or Georgia or if I decide to go work oil rig will all depend on how the trooper movess forward or if I get a new car.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, a body lift is pretty unnecessary unless you are running 35s. Even then you only need an inch or so body lift to fit 35s (beyond the 3" suspension lift), Trooper have huge wheel wells. I always try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

This is my Trooper with 33s, 3" suspension and 1" body lift. Really no need for the body lift to clear the 33s (I will be installing 35s soon).
IMGP0625.jpg

Last edited:

meffland

Hey, I've got a brand new-in-box OME lift for a trooper if you want it. New rear springs and 4 shocks. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure they were designed for 2" of lift with a decent load. Don't remember the exact spring number.

Anywho, we're moving and I need to get rid of it since I no longer have a the trooper (favorite vehicle I've owned though). $100 plus shipping and it's yours. That's about 1/4 the price of new. PM me if ya want.

Best of luck with your new ride!

Japes

Displaced Texan
I will def take it bro, where are you moving too if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Texas right now it might be worth my drive to austin to get em.

meffland

I'm moving out to Leander from Hutto. Just outside Austin if you know the area. If it saves the hassle of shipping and doing stuff over the internet, I'll drive 50 miles or so to meet you. I'm leaving town tomorrow to see family and I'll be driving through Dallas around 8AM if that helps. Otherwise I'll be back Jan 2nd.

I checked, and the springs are 919, with 4 nitrocharger shocks to match. See crappy cell phone pic
IMAG0219.jpg

day42

Observer
If he doesn't end up buying them from you at that price, could I purchase them from you? I'll need them shipped to NJ, but I'll pay for that. Please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles