Tacoma rear suspension question

chops749

Observer
I have a 3rd gen with stock suspension that I just put an AluCab topper and RTT on. I have the opportunity to be the test vehicle for a dual swing away rear bumper. I’m not planning on adding a lift anytime soon, and with the added weight I know the rear may need some help. What should I do? Would an add a leaf pack work for the extra weight?

jmodz

I would definitely consider an AAL. Most likely something like the wheelers off-road 3 pack add a leaf where you remove the overload. Since you are not lifting you want to keep the lift to a minimum. With a RTT, Alu-Cab, and a swing out bumper, plus wherever camping gear you have I think that’s enough weight to justify an AAL.

Another option would be a Hellwig helper spring. This wouldn’t lift you but would add some extra stability. However it is more geared for occasional not constant weight, like towing. My brother in law did the Hellwig on his 3rd gen for towing his boat and it worked great! I’m not sure it would work for your application but I wanted to give you an alternative to look at as well.

CMARJEEP

Observer
I have an Alu-Cab with an Autohome Maggiolina on top. I ended up adding the Wheeler’s 3 leaf progressive AAL to level it back out. With all my gear in the back it was sagging and I had a negative arch. Now unloaded with just the canopy and tent I have a nice rake and loaded down it sits just a bit higher than level in the back which is perfect.

Before AAL:

After AAL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94