Tacoma re-design: Predictions?

haven

Expedition Leader
Many observers think Toyota will produce a redesigned Tacoma in 2015, probably as a 2016 model. What changes do you expect and/or hope will be made to Toyota's best-selling truck?

Improvements in fuel economy are a must. Today's pickups from Ford, GM and Ram are using new technologies (turbocharging, direct injection, transmissions with more gears, cylinder deactivation, and so on) to improve MPG in their gasoline powered full size trucks. Time for Toyota to bring the V6 up to date.

Ram has announced that they will sell a 3.0L V6 turbodiesel in the Ram 1500. Ford is likely to install the 5 cylinder 3.2L diesel from the new full size Transit van into the F150 around 2015. Chevy uses a 2.8L four cylinder diesel in its midsize Colorado made in Thailand. Toyota uses a 3.0L turbodiesel in the HiLux pickup sold around the world. Maybe it's time to bring a Toyota diesel back to USA.

Toyota is discontinuing the XJ Cruiser in 2014. That makes room for a version of the Tacoma that is strongly oriented to off-road performance. Should this model be offered in a four door long wheelbase version, or a two door shortbed, which would provide shorter turning radius and better break over and departure angles?

Should the new Tacoma have a strengthened frame? That's one area of weakness on the current truck. Would a Tacoma with greater payload capacity reduce sales of the Tundra?

Your thoughts?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I predict it will be bad ***** - just like every tacoma to date.

:truck:

- it will look like a large mouth bass

huntsonora

Explorer
Wish in one hand and, well, you know the rest. I was wondering when they would make some real changes but I'm over it. I would love to see a Tacoma that would get into the mid 20's efficiency wise but who knows.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Why not a "One World Truck?"

At one time the Toyota truck offered on the US was basically a HILUX platform and was made popular for its size, economy, and payload. Today there are multiple truck lines offered in different market regions.

A re-design of the Tacoma incorporating the best of the HILUX characteristics, or basically the HILUX platform itself, in the North American market would again offer world desired HILUX capabilities of payload, economy, and size. For a corporation that embraces "Kaizen" this consolidation appears to offer a lot of merit.

The competition it would offer the Tundra product line would be minimal in that most customers seeking that truck do so for it's size.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Should the new Tacoma have a strengthened frame? That's one area of weakness on the current truck. Would a Tacoma with greater payload capacity reduce sales of the Tundra?
This is an Internet wisdom, that the partially boxed, mostly reinforced C-channel frame is a weakness. Sure, a fully boxed frame like the Hilux is more manly, but unnecessary here. It makes a harsh ride and frames that are too stiff can fatigue and crack. Toyota engineers are not stupid, the frame on the Tacoma is as strong as it needs to be for the job it does. Lots of commercial trucks use open frames, actually, the torque requires the frame to flex to prevent it from breaking.

If Toyota moves the Tacoma back to the world platform then I think we see a hybrid more similar to the first gen Tacoma than a fully boxed frame like the Hilux. As roads improve worldwide the need for a true brute of a truck decreases. They'll probably keep the Land Cruiser as the option for those cases anyway.

But OTOH, the Hilux despite being a similar size to the Tacoma carries a significantly higher payload, so there is reasoning behind a boxed frame. I just don't see Toyota marketing & engineering adding weight in light of need to increase economy for something that the majority of people will not benefit from and might actually be worse, e.g. no one wants their truck to ride like a truck anymore. Not to mention frames rigidity vs. controlled collapse has an impact on accident perform, it's not just as simple as super stiff always equally good.

I hope the move to diesels gets Toyota off the dime, we'll see though. They are pushing hybrids in cars but that isn't an real option with trucks IMHO.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Why not a "One World Truck?"

It shares a lot of the same components already, front suspension, rear end, engines (except diesel), pretty sure the 5 speed automatic A750E/F is the same.

Wouldn't be a giant leap to be a "one world truck"

Seems like Toyota believes the US market needs different shaped body panels, if the new 4Runner and Tundra are any indication, the Tacoma will get boxier.

The Tacoma does need more power, and better fuel economy for what it is, fullsize trucks are getting better fuel economy...along with more power, better capacity, more room.

I am waiting to see what the next Tacoma will be, hard not to look at the Big 3's 1/2 tons though. The '14 GM's are pretty nice...

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Toyota does a good job with fuel economy with their cars, but tries way too hard to be 'capable' with their trucks so they are 'taken seriously'.....moreso with the Tundra, but even the Tacoma has really grown in machismo.

The next Tacoma should be lightweight. It should be a little smaller than the current truck. It should have 6 speed transmissions, minimum. It should make less power, but more torque, and get at least 15% better fuel efficiency than the average half ton. It needs to utilize direct injection. It shouldn't cost quite as much as a half ton either.

Clutch

<---Pass
Toyota does a good job with fuel economy with their cars, but tries way too hard to be 'capable' with their trucks so they are 'taken seriously'.....moreso with the Tundra, but even the Tacoma has really grown in machismo.

The next Tacoma should be lightweight. It should be a little smaller than the current truck. It should have 6 speed transmissions, minimum. It should make less power, but more torque, and get at least 15% better fuel efficiency than the average half ton. It needs to utilize direct injection. It shouldn't cost quite as much as a half ton either.

Think you're spot on there Kaisen.

The Tacoma has the 1/2 ton price with none of the attributes of the 1/2 ton and none of the "mini" truck either. Now, if it fetched mid to high 20's in the fuel
economy department...it might be a different story. When comparing specs/price of the Tacoma to a 1/2 ton, it is hard not to want the 1/2 ton. Of course
some will squeal "it is the size of the Tacoma..." you can put a 1/2 ton 98% of the places a Tacoma will go.

I am guessing the new Ram Diesel 1500 is going to break 25 mpgs. No reason why the Tacoma can't achieve that or beyond.

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
I've seen some concept designs for the proposed redesign and I personally think it looks like a lifted Camry with a bed instead of a trunk. Just butt ugly. I hope they keep it simple and truck-like, but it seems all manufacturers are swaying away from simplicity and going for some goofy half aerodynamic, half aggressive styling with their vehicles. I'm not a big fan of the 2nd gen Tacomas, maybe I'm biased since I love my little 1st gen, but then again, I don't like ANY new cars made in the last 5 years or so, with the exception of the Cadillac CTS-V Sedan. And this is coming from a guy who despises any car with 4 doors.

Either way, like most new cars or redesigns, they may be beautiful to some, and to others they may be disgusting looking, but they tend to grow on you a bit after a few years, except for the step side Toyota trucks with Solara taillights, the Avalanche, and the PT Cruiser among others.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Dream Tacoma....1st gen size, with upgraded engine and brakes. And can be purchased bare bones not fully packaged.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Possibility of Prerunner only...from my buddy over at toyota corporate
Tundra would be the only 4x4 pickup option

Expedition Leader
I predict it will be even uglier than the current generation, though this may be a challenge even to the design team that did the last body. They may have to sack the last design team and hire a new one to get it completed in an entirely different (ugly enough) style at great expense and at the last minute.

Revco

Adventurer
Prerunner only would make sense for Toyota. They seem to sell like hotcakes since they first appeared. I see loads of Prerunners everyday, and only a handful of real 4x4s. Sorry to offend any of you Prerunner owners, but your trucks are lame fakes just like 6cyl Mustangs and Camaros. Maybe its just me, but I don't see the point in having a wannabe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles