TACOMA question

LUISJG

Explorer
i was looking at tacomas and they have a 2006 tacoma sr5 4x4 automatic crew cab
left at a dealer for 24k sticker is 28.5.
my question is,, is this one as good as the trd ? or its a whole diferent animal?

thanks

luis

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The big differences between TRD or SR5 packages are:

TRD Off Road gets you upgraded suspension, seats, and a locker

TRD Sport gets you upgraded suspension, seats, limited slip, color keyed mirrors and door handles, and a cool hood scoop.

SR5 doesnt get any of these, just the basics (which aint too shabby)

I suggest the TRD Off Road package #2

Last edited:

LUISJG

Explorer
Actualy ,, forgot to mention this will be a daily driver ,, i have my cherokee for offroad.

maybe i will put it ofroad but rarely.

but still thinking about it .......

snowbrock

I went with the sr5 for two reasons. I really liked the tan/black interior that was only available in the sr5. Also, I fully intend to upgrade the suspension (ome) in the future and paying extra for the bilstein shocks didn't make sense. I didn't think I needed the power outlet or the locker. If those are important to you, that may affect your decision.

Scott Brady

Founder
Dont make the TRD package a reason not to buy the truck. You can install an ARB for $1000 and then have a compressor for airing up tires too :)

Bergger

Explorer
Yes, if you don't plan on using it as your primary off road vehicle then you'll be fine. Like the others said above, you can upgrade to a suspension better than what TRD gives you and you can always add a locker if the truck becomes your go to vehicle down the road.

LUISJG

Explorer
found another one also sr5 4x4 all leather,wheels etc 27k "sticker 30 something" 2007. silver color.

I awsume they can have snorkels instaled....? I just like snorkels

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
LUISJG said:
found another one also sr5 4x4 all leather,wheels etc 27k "sticker 30 something" 2007. silver color.

I awsume they can have snorkels instaled....? I just like snorkels

No snorkel available yet...

Clutch

<---Pass
The only good thing about the TRD Offroad is the locker.

IMO...the TRD Offroad suspension is not worth it.

Mine was soon replaced with aftermarket Coil-overs and rear leaf packs.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Aside from the locker or LSD, the other notable differences on the TRD's that you may or may not like or want are the upgraded sport seats which Doc mentioned, mine also came with an overhead compass and outside temp gauge, 6 disk CD stereo with steering wheel audio controls, and a 400 watt outlet in the bed, which is great for morning breakfast smoothies or late afternoon margaritas. The TRD suspensions are nothing special and should probably be upgraded anyway if you intend to do any sort of mild to serious off-roading. The SR5's have all you really need as far are a DD goes, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to pay for those small little creature comforts in addition to the LSD or locker in the rear.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The seats and the locker were the key selling points for me.

IMO the sport seats are comparable to Recaros, very supportive and comfortable. Probably the main reason I got rid of my 03 TRD was the seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles