Tacoma Payload VS Clutch life

Hobiecat

Observer
I've been driving a manual transmission for close to 15 years and have only replaced one clutch, and only because the dealership suggested that I go ahead and do it while the transmission was in pieces for a warranty issue. Prior to the Tacoma, all of my standard vehicles had been strictly commuter cars that seldom saw heavy loads.

While there are certainly people who are able to achieve 150-200k miles on a clutch, the more reasonable expectation seems to be anywhere between 80-120k miles on most vehicles.

The (more) mechanically inclined people that I have spoken to have all said, "Don't worry about it until it slips." I definitely notice that I have to work the clutch more when carrying large payloads or driving offroad, so that answer doesn't satisfy my curiosity. I have a great fear of being 13 hours from home, with a sailboat and RTT, when it decides to slip.

At what point does regularly hauling heavy loads begin to take it's toll on a clutch? Or how often do those who regularly travel with massive amounts of gear replace them?

Last edited:

85CUCV

Adventurer
It's largely dependent on the driver and the factors you mentioned. I've gotten 100-150,000 on full sized trucks which pulled a load 75 percent of the time. They can check the clutch face wear when it's pulled down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles