Tacoma Owners in Denver (or surrounding area) Please Read!

bcrez

Adventurer
I am a couple of months away from replacing the suspension in my 2010 Tacoma. I am torn between Old Man Emu, and Icon. I know they are very different not only in performance, but also price. I cant possibly make an educated decision if I have never ridden on either. If anyone in Denver (or within an hour) has a Gen 2. Tacoma with either of these kits (or others you think I should try) please let me know. I am looking to get a ride in your truck. PM me if you think you can help. Much appreciated.

-Brad

Derek24

Explorer
My brother has OME on his 08' Reg. Cab, 885 springs and it rides excellent! Very smooth and controllable. Can't say anything about Icon's on Tacoma's, but on my Tundra I love them and would'nt go anyother way...

Ric

Adventurer
I have the Toytec Ultimate kit, and absolutly LOVE it.
handles great on and off the road, though I dont have a taco, Im on my second 4runner, and both have the ultimate kit, and toytec is local :victory:
IF you`re interested in a ride, let me know, even though its a 4Runner lol

justinhw

Adventurer
My brother has OME on his 08' Reg. Cab, 885 springs and it rides excellent! Very smooth and controllable. Can't say anything about Icon's on Tacoma's, but on my Tundra I love them and would'nt go anyother way...

What sort of lift did your brother get? Does he have an aftermarket bumper? Reason I ask is because I have a '06 regular cab and am interested in 885 or 884 OME suspension. Thanks!

bcrez

Adventurer
Any Colorado folk walk to chime in? Possibly anyone willing to give a stranger a ride in their truck?

bcrez

Adventurer
AWESOME! Just got a volunteer with an OME set up... anyone with Icons want to help out?

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
shock selection is entirely dependent on how much maintenance you want to do.

recommended rebuild of an icon is at least once every 2 years (i think icon recommends once a year). unless you do it yourself it can get expensive over the life of the shock.

the OME setup will require virtually no maintenance and give you a very good ride. the icons will require regular maintenance and replacement parts and will provide an excellent ride and will be equal to the ome's on 4x4 trails and blow them away on fast desert roads.

i have a set of icons but i am up in aspen.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..

recommended rebuild of an icon is at least once every 2 years (i think icon recommends once a year). unless you do it yourself it can get expensive over the life of the shock.

the OME setup will require virtually no maintenance and give you a very good ride. the icons will require regular maintenance and replacement parts and will provide an excellent ride and will be equal to the ome's on 4x4 trails and blow them away on fast desert roads.

Just as a contrast, if the icons aren't leaking, don't bother rebuilding them.
I know, I used to build them.

My Donahoe/Icons are at 4 years and going strong. Before that I blew out 3 OME shocks. Well, blew out two and one had a shaft snap so I'm not a big fan of OME despite their general good reputation.

That being said, the cost is such a huge difference get what you can afford and both will generally get the job done and you can replace several sets of OME's for the cost of the Icons so that's a factor to consider. :smiley_drive:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

My Icon has been in my truck since late 2008 and that was about 45k miles ago. No problems at all with it and it doesn't need to be rebuilt. So not sure what you are talking about.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
My Icon has been in my truck since late 2008 and that was about 45k miles ago. No problems at all with it and it doesn't need to be rebuilt. So not sure what you are talking about.

im sure that is the case.. i know.. i did the same with some swayaways.. run them till they break then it costs you a TON of $$ to get them rebuilt. since they havent been off the truck since 2008 how do you know the oil is still good? or that the N charge is still good?

have you ever taken them off to inspect the lower heim? or tried to move the spring collar lately? when you eventually do it will be a major project. you might need to scrap the investment you made in serviceable shocks. and i say that from experience, i have a set of expensive sway-a-way shocks that are going to cost about 1/2 of the new price to get them back in action sitting in a box in my garage, i ended up replacing them with icons..

all i was saying they are not a shock that you put on and forget for 50k miles without some possible serious costs to get them back to new when you realize they are broken. they will work great for the time you ignore them and treat them like sealed shocks, then it will be a problem when they start leaking/ making funny noises..

it also depends on how you use them. the oil can break down long before they are leaking.

bcrez

Adventurer
Good points all around. I am aware of the rebuild issue of the Icons, and the claims that OME will have to be swapped out every 50k. I simply need to 'feel' the difference. Whether or not I am willing to put the time in is totally dependent on the ride quality and performance. If I dont fall in love with the Icons I probably wont get them. That said, I still want to know what I am getting into with the OME's. I would imagine they are less refined. But thats why I am looking to get me ******** in a seat and feel it out.

Anyone with Icons want to help resolve this issue?

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
Good points all around. I am aware of the rebuild issue of the Icons, and the claims that OME will have to be swapped out every 50k. I simply need to 'feel' the difference. Whether or not I am willing to put the time in is totally dependent on the ride quality and performance. If I dont fall in love with the Icons I probably wont get them. That said, I still want to know what I am getting into with the OME's. I would imagine they are less refined. But thats why I am looking to get me ******** in a seat and feel it out.

Anyone with Icons want to help resolve this issue?

what kind of driving do you do? rough trails, mostly pavement, med difficulty fire roads, fast desert roads?

its also not so much rebuilding the icons, its just simple maintenance/ inspection every once in a while to make sure nothing goes so far as it breaks. once it breaks then the costs can skyrocket when it comes to fixing them. if you don't know the heim is busted it can egg out the shock cap needing replacement of both the cap and the heim, if you catch it before that the heim is 12 bucks.

bcrez

Adventurer
what kind of driving do you do? rough trails, mostly pavement, med difficulty fire roads, fast desert roads?

I do all of the above. I am on dirt at least once a week, usually 2-3 times a week on forest roads/ fire roads. I do A LOT of highway driving. My weight load is low compared to some, but on some of my longer trips its not out of the question that I would have 1,000 pounds fully loaded with passengers/ gear. I like a stiffer ride, and when I get out to the desert (5-10 times a year) I like to open it up.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
get the icons then, just make sure you take them off the truck to look at them and dial down the spring collar a about once every 2 years and reapply anti-seize and check out the play in the spherical bearings. no more than a 15-20 min job per side

also get the extreme weather coating on them (its an option) the mag chloride in colorado fuses these aluminum shocks/ spring collars, if you let shocks go for a while you will end up paying for it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I notice no difference from new....guess I am going to have to send Icon an email and or take them off to check it out now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles