Tacoma Hidden Winch Mounts

TacoBrandt72

I’m new to the forums, but have been following Expedition Portal/Overland Journal for several years. Lots of good, solid info from people actually out there living it, not just keyboard commandos with over-the-top unstable SEMA builds.
I’m currently looking at the various hidden winch mounting systems for the 2nd and 3rd Gen Tacoma. I like the self-recovery capability and the ability to aid others in “sticky” situations. I’m also a fan of the smooth, minimalist look that doesn’t draw a lot of attention unless someone really understands what they’re looking at.
My concern is that they all replace the factory OEM impact beam. I know there is plenty of space between the bumper cover and core support, and if engineered right there shouldn’t be strength concerns when winching. How do they affect airbag deployment and front crush zones in case the unthinkable happens? Does anyone have any first hand experience with a particular manufacturer or style? Any engineers out there that can break down the pros/cons and sacrifices with this particular upgrade?
I would be looking to install a 9k to 9.5k winch spooled with synthetic line and upgrading the suspension to a 1.5”-2” OME lift and either 255/85-16s on the factory steels (my ‘09 Single Cab) or 285/75-16s on 16x8 forged like a Method Racing or Volk (my ‘17 Double Cab).

D

Deleted member 13060

The crash sensors for the airbags are mounted to the body not the frame. A winch mount or aftermarket bumper will have little or no affect on their operation. The body is isolated from the frame by rubber mounts and measures deceleration rate more than impact forces.

The aluminum impact beam is really just your bumper. The winch mount will replace this and probably be stronger than the aluminum beam. The "crush zone" is part of the frame and probably won't be affected by the replacement piece. However, when properly engineered the new bumper or winch mount will have reinforcement pieces to span the weak (I mean crush zone) section of frame rail.

Having been in the Auto Repair business for 25+ years and driving, riding and exploring off road for nearly twice that I have yet to see a situation where an aftermarket bumper/winch mount became an issue in a crash. Usually the bumper is scratched and the offending (insert local brain dead, distracted car model of choice) driver has their junk totaled.

YMMV RON

TacoBrandt72

Thanks GSRON for the excellent explainer. If I’m understanding you correctly, the airbag sensors are accelerometers that are measuring sudden changes in speed? That explains why my airbag deployed in my ‘95 Bronco when the idiot (other driver) ran the stop sign and hit me at about 20mph right on the LF tire. I went from 35mph of forward movement to 10mph of sideways movement in about 1.5 seconds. The centerline of the front axle was pushed 10” to the right, the bumper about 20”, but the front bumper was otherwise relatively unscathed. It’s nice to understand how/why things do what they do.

52C49B51-88CF-445F-8D3E-D38F7F138E55.jpeg

It still makes me sad to see what was left of my Bronco. And yes, that is a crease running from the LH A-pillar to the RH B-pillar across the steel top section. You could look down through the LH rear window and see the tire tread from the center to the outside sidewall without straining. Things like this are why I’m careful about what I modify, what parts I use and how it’s done.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with any of the available hidden winch mounts? I know there are several for the 3rd Gen Tacos (Warn, Southern Style Off Road, I think Pelfrey shows one) but the 2nd Gen options are pretty limited (Warn, Warn, Warn, and I think one by Warn). How easy do they install, how much trimming of the bumper cover is necessary, any caveats when pairing a particular winch with a particular mount? I haven’t settled on a winch yet, just to run synthetic line for the weight savings and less energy stored if the rope breaks (still observing safe winching by having some sort of dampener over the line). My ‘17 doesn’t have the Safety Sense Suite on it, so blocking the sensor isn’t an issue.

4000lbsOfGoat

I have the Lo-Pro from C4 Fabrication with a ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5rs on my 2018. The winch fits and functions nicely and the bumper (in my opinion anyway) looks great. Very minimal and, like you said, doesn't draw a lot of attention. I had mine professionally installed so I can't comment on how "easy" the install is (it was SUPER easy for me ;)) but there is some amount of cutting involved. Once it's installed it looks like it was meant to be there.

Bumper: https://c4fabrication.com/collectio...tacoma-front-lo-pro-winch-bumper-3rd-gen-2016
Install: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ont-winch-bumper-install-instructions.446516/

Last edited:

Timroo

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add to this in case anyone is searching it. I have the CBI hidden winch mount. Great construction with beautiful welds and very well reinforced. Minimal cutting of the lower bumper cover, since the hawse fairlead sits outside of the lower bumper. The fairlead bolts basically pinch the bumper cover between the fairlead and the winch mount, so you only need to cut bolt holes and a hole for the winch line. I know some hidden mounts require careful cutting since the fairlead sits flush with the bumper cover. I fit a Smittybilt X2O 10,000lb wireless winch in there with no problem in my 2019 Tacoma TRD OR, just relocated the solenoid to the side mount position. Love the setup!FE300509-9868-4B5D-80E1-EE4209CD2284.jpeg

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I have the southern style Offroad slimline with the C4 frame reinforcement... been a beast for sure and looks like it was meant to be there! A096E6A8-C086-4652-AD68-09AC99EF07FC.jpeg

karlmagnum

Observer
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add to this in case anyone is searching it. I have the CBI hidden winch mount. Great construction with beautiful welds and very well reinforced. Minimal cutting of the lower bumper cover, since the hawse fairlead sits outside of the lower bumper. The fairlead bolts basically pinch the bumper cover between the fairlead and the winch mount, so you only need to cut bolt holes and a hole for the winch line. I know some hidden mounts require careful cutting since the fairlead sits flush with the bumper cover. I fit a Smittybilt X2O 10,000lb wireless winch in there with no problem in my 2019 Tacoma TRD OR, just relocated the solenoid to the side mount position. Love the setup!View attachment 643922

Looks great. Any info about LED bart?

Timroo

Looks great. Any info about LED bart?

Hey sorry I’ve been away. The LED light bar mount came from rough country. It’s the only thing I’ve ever bought from them, but it fits nicely. The light mounts use the same mounting points as the winch mount. There was plenty of thread and I just mounted it with the winch mount (frame, winch mount, light bar mount, nuts). The light bar BARELY clears the winch, but it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior