Tacoma frame rust issues again???

phsycle

Adventurer
I used to own a 2017 Tacoma. Just got this in the mail yesterday. Seems like it’s not a prevalent issue to warrant a recall, but enough reported to have the warranty extended to 12 yrs. Thought they would’ve been past this issue by now.

Attachments

• BAE0BC5B-CB36-4C02-A475-92AEEBACE42C.jpeg
    BAE0BC5B-CB36-4C02-A475-92AEEBACE42C.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 71

bkg

Explorer
IIRC, nothing really changed in the frame since 05... so it's not overly surprising... yet stupefying given the cost impacts.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It never was a recall on 05+ trucks, just a limited service campaign. They did recall and/or buy-back some of the first gen trucks. A recall would actually give the owner some leverage. These LSCs are voluntary and experiences range from seamless to royal pains in the rear.

My extension to 12 year corrosion warranty is up this month so I'm now on my own. I have a sneaking suspicion this truck won't last the same 27 years as the one before it.

Just make sure you get the inspections they require because if it does rust through and you haven't jumped through every hoop they might use that to deny you.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I received the letter today on my '13. I'm covered until 01/25 now. I'm in the high desert of Utah so I'm not worried about my frame rotting. It does give me peace of mind though and it is transferable.

DaveInDenver

I received the letter today on my '13. I'm covered until 01/25 now. I'm in the high desert of Utah so I'm not worried about my frame rotting. It does give me peace of mind though and it is transferable.
Colorado was an affected state under my LSC because they use salt and mag chloride in the winter. I live in Grand Junction, not exactly the Rust Belt, don't get complacent. There's trucks getting frames at dealers around Colorado.

I started getting after mine the year after I bought it, so at 8 years old. The rust starts under various welds and on the cab mount at the firewall first.

IMG_0725_mid_mid.jpg

IMG_0734_mid_mid.jpg

Also on the inside of the boxed section of frame near the lower catalytic converters. That's where I used the internal frame paint and watch the closest. Those rot from the inside out due to the high heat cooking the paint and accelerating the rust.

IMG_0992_mid.jpg

IMG_0995_mid.jpg

bkg

Explorer
It never was a recall on 05+ trucks, just a limited service campaign. They did recall and/or buy-back some of the first gen trucks. A recall would actually give the owner some leverage. These LSCs are voluntary and experiences range from seamless to royal pains in the rear.

My extension to 12 year corrosion warranty is up this month so I'm now on my own. I have a sneaking suspicion this truck won't last the same 27 years as the one before it.

Just make sure you get the inspections they require because if it does rust through and you haven't jumped through every hoop they might use that to deny you.

Buddy got a nice new frame on his 06 doublecab... his frame was swiss cheese...

I haven't seen Toyota make any notable changes to the frame that would indicate the issue has been resolved. Seems odd to me.

ramzflier

I had my '06 inspected at a dealership back in the fall of '18 before the 12yr plan expired. Naturally they said it was fine. Now here we are some 18 or so months later and it's perforated in spots. They said if it had looked like this when first inspected it would be due for a new frame. Now it's too late and I'm SOL. I'm still on the fence about having it patched and keeping it vs. trading it for something else, but I really want a bigger truck to pull a travel trailer anyway.

DaveInDenver

Funny how they almost knew 12 years would be sufficient, eh? If it's got a perforation I'd imagine that's going to dink it's value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier