Tacoma Frame Questions

I have been driving a Subaru for the last 8 years and I am thinking about getting a Tacoma. I will be looking for a used model. I know this question has probably asked many times but what if any years are not impacted by the rusty frame issue? I will be generally looking for a 2007 or later truck. I have done some research but have not found any definitive answers.What is toyota's policy on used trucks and frame replacement ? I live in the rust belt where cars usually die from the underneath. Any links or information would be appreciated.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Years affected are 1995-2008. In the rust belt, 95-2000 trucks were bought back by Toyota (I had a 1998 that Toyota paid me well for), the 2001-2008 trucks get a new frame and related parts.

Frankly, it depends where you live. I live in NJ and have lived in VT. A 5-10 year old vehicle here can be subjected to significant rust issues and you have to be very careful when buying a used vehicle. From what I've seen while traveling, I would not hesitate buying a 20yr old Toyota truck in Arizona, with faded paint. Of course I would do a thorough look at the frame and other parts but you just don't have vehicles crumbling to bits in the western part of the country.

For example. I was not actively looking to replace my 2001 Regular Cab Tacoma. It was in perfect mechanical shape, had a new frame installed 2 years ago by Toyota. I happened across a 2006, access cab 4cylinder 5spd 4X4 with only 73k on it and it actually had a fresh frame and related parts done in August of this year. I worked out a decent deal on the truck and I'm happy to have a truck with half the miles and significantly more cab space. I wouldn't even think about getting a 2001-2008 truck without the frame being replaced prior to buying it. That's on the east coast, in the rust belt. In the rest of the country, I would be less worried. I would not have bought the 2006 if it did not have the recent frame replacement.

On the other hand, I bought a 2009 quad cab short bed in July with 34k on it. I'm not worried about the frame yet, there is no rust to speak of and the truck looks brand new.

So my wife and I both have newer Tacoma's with no rust issues to worry about for a good 10 years.

When you go to look at a truck, bring a hammer to hit the frame with unless of course you can still read the Heavy Part sticker on it like mine.

Cheers,
Jorge

Jeff H

Adventurer
I would say look closely at them when you're looking. Prior to having Toyota do the frame inspection I had my frame on my 08 looked at by the guy who Fluid Films my truck. My frame was solid. I live in the rust belt too so I know what you have to deal with.

vicali

Adventurer
When we bought out 2005 dclb I climbed underneath and inspected the motor mounts, the frame was fine, 3 years later the dealer was able to poke through on the passenger side beside the cat. That's where I would check first.

bkg

Explorer
Originally from MN, and after owning over 55 Toyotas. (I'm in therapy), here is my best advice.... Fly and drive.

Buy a truck from tx, nm, AZ, ca... Fly out, drive back...

WillBeck

Adventurer
Originally from MN, and after owning over 55 Toyotas. (I'm in therapy), here is my best advice.... Fly and drive.

Buy a truck from tx, nm, AZ, ca... Fly out, drive back...
This is probably the best advice. Having owned a few used cars, it really is worth it to find the cleanest one you can. Preferably unmodified. Take your time, and look in southern CA. There are more Tacomas here than anywhere I've seen.

DJSponge

How does WA fare? I'm in the market and I don't want to get hosed. Could I get it inspected at a dealership if I found a promising candidate?

Thanks for the advice, seems to be a definite risk buying a Tacoma in the mid Atlantic area. The fly and buy definitely seems like the way to go.

SigNewt

Just got a letter from Toyota to inspect my 2007, I am from CO and bought the truck out of IA.

I am thinking they might replace my frame.

Wanderer1

This is probably the best advice. Having owned a few used cars, it really is worth it to find the cleanest one you can. Preferably unmodified. Take your time, and look in southern CA. There are more Tacomas here than anywhere I've seen.

Not the first time I've heard this and not bad advise.

Instead of a Tacoma have you given the Tundra a look? Originally wanted to buy used but the prices were so high with the Tacoma and just recently read an article on how the older Tundras were overlooked gems. I wish I'd bought the older Tundra and saved a wheelbarrow amount of cash!

WillBeck

Adventurer
How does WA fare? I'm in the market and I don't want to get hosed. Could I get it inspected at a dealership if I found a promising candidate?

My truck was originally from WA, and my brother just bought one from WA as well. Both have frames in excellent shape.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Not the first time I've heard this and not bad advise.

Instead of a Tacoma have you given the Tundra a look? Originally wanted to buy used but the prices were so high with the Tacoma and just recently read an article on how the older Tundras were overlooked gems. I wish I'd bought the older Tundra and saved a wheelbarrow amount of cash!
I purposely looked for the Tacoma because i wanted a small truck.

But yes, the first gen Tundras can be had for a steal, and are excellent trucks. Actually share a lot of parts with the Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior