Tacoma Dual Battery build

tweeek

Observer
Fabbed a bracket to hold 2xOdyssey 1400's.

Went with the blue sea 7622.
Fabbed a mount for an aux fuse block. I also relocated my winch solonoid underneith the fuse block. The remote can be plugged in here, but while I was at it, I ran wires for in cab winch controls.

You can see the plug for the remote. The second circuit breaker feeds a fuse block in the bed of the truck. I ran heavy gauge wire to the rear in case I decide I need more amp hours, I can add a battery to the bed with little fuss.

In cab controls and volt meter. Meter comes on automatically with engine, but can also be checked with small momentary button below it, when them engine is off. Aux battery rocker selects which battery is being monitored, or shuts it all off. In cab winch controls, 7622 remote switch and rear aux lights wired up. Ill get to my front light bar soon, and the beer switch holds a spot for future use.

I have a similar switch bank to go in the sleeping quarters in the bed of the truck. Just waiting for the volt meter to show up from China.

treadstone

Observer
That is sweet! I am in the market for a duel battery set up for my 2000 Tacoma 4X4, so I can run power to the bed for a water pump/fridge. Was it pretty easy to do yourself? How much time did you have to spend on the install?

v_man

Explorer
Nice work , any reason you made your own ? TG sells dual battery trays ... they might only be for Optima's I think .

sm__300383-kit-alt1-600.jpg

tweeek

Observer
Where did you get your switches?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

otrattw.com? thats my guess.

Yup, otrattw.com. awesome guys to deal with!

Nice work , any reason you made your own ? TG sells dual battery trays ... they might only be for Optima's I think .

View attachment 224561

I don't believe the TGs fit the 2nd gens. There are a couple of other options, but they are quote expensive. I built this for next to nothing with steele I had in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Explorer
Looks great, I'm looking to do something very similar, but I'm going to use the Intervolt EBI PRO, its a MOSFETT battery Isolator that lets you program the isolate voltage of the two batteries, and also the the combine voltages.

http://www.intervolt.com/products/electronic-battery-isolator/ebi-series.aspx

I plan to keep my batteries combined as much as possible to extend their life, and still have the ability to isolate the starting battery before it gets too low to start the vehicle. I had the National Luna setup in my last truck, and found it was kind of a waste to have a huge starter battery that didn't do anything but start a little gas motor (something it could have done 10 times even at 50% discharge) Keeping them combined longer will prevent deep discharges of the house battery, allow faster recharge times, and hopefully allow for better shore and solar recharging as I can set voltage to anything I want for the combine charge.

tweeek

Observer
Looks great, I'm looking to do something very similar, but I'm going to use the Intervolt EBI PRO, its a MOSFETT battery Isolator that lets you program the isolate voltage of the two batteries, and also the the combine voltages.

http://www.intervolt.com/products/electronic-battery-isolator/ebi-series.aspx

I plan to keep my batteries combined as much as possible to extend their life, and still have the ability to isolate the starting battery before it gets too low to start the vehicle. I had the National Luna setup in my last truck, and found it was kind of a waste to have a huge starter battery that didn't do anything but start a little gas motor (something it could have done 10 times even at 50% discharge) Keeping them combined longer will prevent deep discharges of the house battery, allow faster recharge times, and hopefully allow for better shore and solar recharging as I can set voltage to anything I want for the combine charge.

Thats awesome! I had never seen these. I do agree with you that the starting battery has reserves that are untapped, unless you are manually combining and isolating. Selectable isolation voltage would be a huge plus.

Only problem I see with that unit is the 100amp rating. 500amps peak for 5 seconds is fine to self boost I would think, but i would think combining batteries for winching duty through it would be a bit much. Would have to wire in a bypass I guess.

How much $$?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Explorer
It is $229.00 shipped from Australia, there are no U.S. distributers yet. It does come with a dash mountable rocker switch for manual jump start. The amp rating is a bit light, I wish it were 500 continuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior