Tacoma Clutch Start Cancel.

bcrez

Adventurer
I Googled the appropriate time and manner in which to use the 'Clutch Start Cancel' button and have come up with a bunch of answers. Some conflicting with each other, some conflicting with the manual (which doesnt explain much). The manual does however state, "Never use the switch for normal engine starting." Which the dealer told me was the purpose. I have heard its for starting on hills, getting out of hard spots if there is an engine problem, I have heard the battery drives the car with you control forward movement with the key, I have heard a lot of things. Few that make sense. If anyone who KNOWS can shed some light, or even point me to a video (I'm a visual learner) that demonstrates it proper use, I would appreciate it.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I think the primary use is to get started on a hill that you don't want to roll back on (i.e. the back tires are just above a rock shelf, etc.). That way you can keep the clutch engaged and crank the starter 'till the engine starts without the threat of rolling backwards at all. I think it's only meant to be used in low-range.

It'd also be handy if you stall on a steep, low-range climb. Then instead re-starting it and smoking the clutch to get going again, you can use the starter torque and flywheel gear reduction to get climbing again and re-start the engine.

Last edited:

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I worked at toyota for a couple years in the shop and got to learn about the actual purpose for these switches...It should only be used for restarting on a steep hill in lowrange. quintessentially its for getting your vehicle going without the use of the clutch and to get you rolling foward while the engines catching. It can be done on highrange to but you have to be careful not to lug the motor.

Step by step process for application

1. Make sure brakes are fully applied to prevent roll back

2. Push clutch start cancel switch (foot should still remain on brake)

3. Turn key and release brakes immediately

4. Add slight amount of gas if need.

Other tips: Make sure you are in the lowest gear possible. However if momentum is needed second gear can be used too. Make sure you're really are sure of what you are going up too. If you feel uncomfortable it may be best to carefully role back down the hill and pick a better line. Find an open place to practice using this option to get the feel of it. Everybody has their own little tricks. Its best to find yours. Hope this has helped.

RIDEALL

I like it for starting truck in the morning before work without having to climb in and push clutch in. It's quick........just make your in neutral so you don't :peepwall:

verticaltrx

Observer
The two uses are starter crawling (which I have never used it for) and starting the vehicle without getting in (which I do often.) On my trail rig I sometimes starter crawl it if it stalls out at a very steep angle(carbureted), but on a fuel injected vehicle I can't see many cases where you would need to start crawl it. If you can't get going up a steep hill without rolling back or smoking the clutch you need more practice driving a stick off-road. Also, unless your rig is geared really low my experience has been that the starter doesn't really have enough oomph to crawl up much. Like was stated, it is useful for starting the truck without having to get in and push the clutch in.

bcrez

Adventurer
That does help. thanks.

I worked at toyota for a couple years in the shop and got to learn about the actual purpose for these switches...It should only be used for restarting on a steep hill in lowrange. quintessentially its for getting your vehicle going without the use of the clutch and to get you rolling foward while the engines catching. It can be done on highrange to but you have to be careful not to lug the motor.

Step by step process for application

1. Make sure brakes are fully applied to prevent roll back

2. Push clutch start cancel switch (foot should still remain on brake)

3. Turn key and release brakes immediately

4. Add slight amount of gas if need.

Other tips: Make sure you are in the lowest gear possible. However if momentum is needed second gear can be used too. Make sure you're really are sure of what you are going up too. If you feel uncomfortable it may be best to carefully role back down the hill and pick a better line. Find an open place to practice using this option to get the feel of it. Everybody has their own little tricks. Its best to find yours. Hope this has helped.

bcrez

Adventurer
The owner's manual specifically states... "Never use the switch for normal engine starting."

zidaro

Explorer
^^^what he said. Most useful for starting w/o pushing clutch.

Wasnt it added by Toyota due to tards causing damage by starting truck with clutch in, this makes that only possible if consciously pushing button. then they came up with another reason it is useful to appease the masses

bcrez

Adventurer
Wasnt it added by Toyota due to tards causing damage by starting truck with clutch in, this makes that only possible if consciously pushing button. then they came up with another reason it is useful to appease the masses

Now I'm really confused. How else do you start a manual transmission car other than pushing the clutch in? Or you push the clutch start cancel, to start, but the manual says dont do that. See what I mean this is getting silly.

slus

Adventurer
Now I'm really confused. How else do you start a manual transmission car other than pushing the clutch in? Or you push the clutch start cancel, to start, but the manual says dont do that. See what I mean this is getting silly.

I think he meant starting it with the truck in gear with the clutch engaged and blowing through the living room wall/garage door/old lady on a walker in front of you, etc. Toyota was covering their hineys with that switch.

bcrez

Adventurer
Got it. That is too dumb to be obvious. Someone on another forum was going on about engine damage etc. Thanks vanisl4runner and Slus.

zidaro

Explorer
Yes, if you have the button you can just push the button instead of having to push the clutch in- your truck will then start by just turning the key. Thats why its called a "clutch start cancel" ;)

ScottJ

I owned a 97 with the clutch start cancel feature from new for 120k and I never found a situation where it was needed. For me it was a cool sounding gizmo that I never needed. That said, your mileage may very.

Freezer

Observer
I think the clutch start feature is only found on trucks sold in the USA? At least all of the trucks i've seen in here don't have that.

austintaco

Explorer
My 84 had it when I first owned it, but the person I bought it back from had removed it and bypassed it so you never have to push the clutch in to start. However, I always push the clutch in out of habit...well, not always, and its scared the crap out of me a few times.

Since its an 84, I have had it stall on very steep climbs and not having to do one more thing with feet before taking the foot off the brake was nice.

I think, not 100%, that my Samurai had one too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles