Tacoma Beast and Company in Utah deface our public lands

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I hate humans. Thankfully I’m not on insta-twit so I don’t get to see the stupidity that is man any more than necessary. I couldn’t even see the link to what the sub-moron did to start this uproar, but I can only imagine it was super thoughtful.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wouldn't this forum be to blame first?
That's no kidding.
Sooooo, how much time has to pass for graffiti is considered a petroglyph? :p
Typically artifacts are considered historical at 100 years and property can be at 50 years.

You know the irony, though, about the 50 year rule was that when it was first really considered in the 1940s and 1950s that was long enough to not fully protect the native and early American settlement history in the early years of the atomic age. They destroyed a lot of stuff and places in the Southwest with nuclear testing and uranium mines. However now all those old sites would qualify for historical protection being 50+ years old.

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree, I find it hard to even say the word 'overland' anymore out of disgust for what it now represents. In my eyes social media is the biggest problem of it all as the outreach it provides from a single platform is unreal. I know I am getting old now because posts of basically stock vehicles with a set of lights, a hitch shackle and some mud terrains get thousands of likes while parked in front of a coffee shop with 19,000 hashtags and mentions makes me irritated.

Don't get me wrong, we should all take pride in our vehicles and the fruits of our labors, but it used to be that vehicles that were highlighted were highly modified and actually being used off-road or on some excursion or adventure. Now anyone with a near stock vehicle can become instafamous because they take good pictures and pose their vehicles next to their other instafamous buddies on the homeless foot trail in the woods behind their local grocery store. They've been going off-road on weekend day trips for a year and suddenly they are ambassadors for the hobby and subject matter experts on how to recover a vehicle from a mud hole with the use of $7K in niche recovery gear lol. Now we have the masses of uneducated d-bags desperate for likes on the gram willing to shill for free products and a following and that's how we end up with instances like this one.

Can't say I blame them, majority of people want to become rich and famous. The internet now gives everyone that chance, than say....trying to make in Hollywood. It amazes me that people can money off of Youtube, Instagram, etc. Even though I post waaaay too much on this forum...I am not here to try to make money and get swag, just here because I like to run my mouth and BS. :p I probably well could make some money via Youtube and the Gram...but I can't bring myself to do that, it just feels weird. ************** me still likes making money with my hands, by doing actual work... ha ha!

So who do we blame? The ************** who defaced the rock...FB, the Gram, this forum and others like it? The guy who invented the internet? Which just turn 30 years old recently. wut!? :eek: Maybe the person who invented printing press, that made information easier to obtain for the masses? Or maybe go all the way back to the first people who discovered that you can cultivate the land, which gave rise to civilization as we know it. Or go back in even further to the first people who thought it was a good idea to deface cave walls. And tell them hey, it isn't a good idea to piss all over everything, because thousands of years from now some dingleberry on The Gram is going to do the same thing, and piss a lot of people off. Ha ha! :D

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
@Tex68w hey man, what is wrong with stock vehicles? :p;):D

Had a '76 F250 Highboy that was bone stock other than some Jackman wheels and 35" tires. and after that, bought a '85 4Runner...that was bone stock for awhile...went everywhere in that thing, across the country twice, all over the Southwest and down into Mexico. Racked up 225K miles before I sold it for a '92 Toy Pickup, that was bone stock other than a topper and some AT tires.

16388382_10155037675214630_9167563625778571458_n.jpg

That's no kidding.

All by chance for the most part, ya know?

Why did this forum take off and Wander the West is still fairly humble?

Same could be said for Lycos, MySpace, etc...

Heck, I used to blame Outside magazine for giving up all of the secret spots. ;):D Before that it was Field & Stream...

Typically artifacts are considered historical at 100 years and property can be at 50 years.

You know the irony, though, about the 50 year rule was that when it was first really considered in the 1940s and 1950s that was long enough to not fully protect the native and early American settlement history in the early years of the atomic age. They destroyed a lot of stuff and places in the Southwest with nuclear testing and uranium mines. However now all those old sites would qualify for historical protection being 50+ years old.

Yeah, what is worse...Tacoma Beast tagging...or all that mining activity? Now I am not saying what they did was right, they could at least could of been artistic about it. :D What they did was like a gang tag...could of came up with some symbols or icons to mimic real petroglyphs. Ha ha! sigh:rolleyes:

I like looking at petroglyphs, also like graffiti too...there are some really good artist out there. Gang taggin' not so much.

Was out hiking around glyphs the other week. Do these mean anything, or were Native Americans bored, doodling to leave their mark?

51513868_10157057889484630_1918961464815648768_n.jpg

46454476_10156871534054630_6395848813671612416_n.jpg

Don't mind being stopped by the train either, it is like a mobile art gallery. :D

16683894_10155072205699630_7408804401629864991_n.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Heck, I used to blame Outside magazine for giving up all of the secret spots. ;):D Before that it was Field & Stream.
Backcountry skiers and climbers have been touchy about giving up the goods in guidebooks for as long as I've been backcountry skiing and climbing. I know fishermen are like that, too.
Do these mean anything, or were Native Americans bored, doodling to leave their mark?
No one is really sure. Wondering if some adolescent got scolded by the elders for graffiti?

Could be guides to hunting, a community notice, religious or farmer's almanac. Could be just a bored sheepherder or street (trail?) artist leaving a "I Was Here" and what he saw around him. There are panels where later peoples modified or drew over earlier ones' glyphs. They were probably of some significance but we can only make assumptions.

I totally would believe humans weren't any different then and ultimately random scribbling and graffiti now will be a statement to a future archeologist, too. We're leaving a lot more explanation but in 500 years who's to say anything written will be around to decipher it? All that will be left is that which lasts on a geological timeline. So our era will be defined by crude rock art, graveyards and plastic crap preserved in landfills. We're going to look positively primitive.

Clutch

<---Pass
Backcountry skiers and climbers have been touchy about giving up the goods in guidebooks for as long as I've been backcountry skiing and climbing. I know fishermen are like that, too.

And now people give out exact GPS coordinates...

No one is really sure. Wondering if some adolescent got scolded by the elders for graffiti?

Ha ha

Could be guides to hunting, a community notice, religious or farmer's almanac. Could be just a bored sheepherder or street (trail?) artist leaving a "I Was Here" and what he saw around him. There are panels where later peoples modified or drew over earlier ones' glyphs. They were probably of some significance but we can only make assumptions.

I totally would believe humans weren't any different then and ultimately random scribbling and graffiti now will be a statement to a future archeologist, too. We're leaving a lot more explanation but in 500 years who's to say anything written will be around to decipher it? All that will be left is that which lasts on a geological timeline. So our era will be defined by crude rock art, graveyards and plastic crap preserved in landfills. We're going to look positively primitive.

I like finding sheep herder markings while trail riding. Some old, some are fairly new. Don't mind that, but hate seeing graffiti in the back country, yet don't mind it on trains or in urban culverts.

19260241_10155489590844630_3330564625773579660_n.jpg

zelseman

Observer
I am not defending the guy, but he owned the incident and is taking steps to correct the damage. Why the flame war?
I don't care for his style, his truck, or most of his followers, but how else could he have made this right?

Clutch

<---Pass
I am not defending the guy, but he owned the incident and is taking steps to correct the damage. Why the flame war?
I don't care for his style, his truck, or most of his followers, but how else could he have made this right?

Internet mob mentality. As we wait for the next outrage...isn't everybody roasting Aunt Becky from Full House now? :p

If you're gonna deface some rock, at least have some creativity....Hell, Pinterest has loads and loads of idears... :D

zelseman

Observer
Internet mob mentality. As we wait for the next outrage...isn't everybody roasting Aunt Becky from Full House now? :p

If you're gonna deface some rock, at least have some creativity....Hell, Pinterest has loads and loads of idears... :D

You're right. It seems like there is a lot of suppressed anger or resentment toward these people that are able to make a living off of the internet. Is it actually overlanding? No, ask Ted Simon. That guy was an overlander. I am sure there were folks in Ted's day that thought he was hurting the culture by taking photos and documenting his travels. Today he is a legend. Overlanding as a trend, culture, or whatever you want to call it is changing. You can get on board and participate or don't, but why bash people making a living off of something fun?

Clutch

<---Pass
You're right. It seems like there is a lot of suppressed anger or resentment toward these people that are able to make a living off of the internet. Is it actually overlanding? No, ask Ted Simon. That guy was an overlander. I am sure there were folks in Ted's day that thought he was hurting the culture by taking photos and documenting his travels. Today he is a legend. Overlanding as a trend, culture, or whatever you want to call it is changing. You can get on board and participate or don't, but why bash people making a living off of something fun?

Shoot, wish I could figure out how to make money off the internet...self employed but still have a typical 9-5er jay-oh-bee. Have client who's newphew is apparently a big instagramer, gets paid somehow, companies send him stuff to show off.

Maybe I need an instagram account...ha ha!

It is funny how we all think how it "should be"...overland, exploring, adventures...what ever you want to call it, can be anything you want it to be. If you're lucky enough to make money off it while you're doing it, how cool is that!?

zelseman

Observer
For anyone going easy on this guy, it's not just the rock vandalism. There's pretty blatant stuff like this too. Tread Lightly? Nope.

zeKOxRU7vb2sBQGkaPwhmomKquTOWxSkr4yOVgnOMMeMJgkUFoljvxmxru4czGQIJ-B4moZQBtlpnIyVEk8E382QZVZ9imI1uFiDwvbO7sWhgCx7f3MkR6kZnqWPuwV5vLEA_Zw56g=w2400
I am not suggesting we go easy on the guy. I hate the culture and "that guy" that is attracted to his feed. It is making it harder for people that respect land and property to travel, but his feed is nothing compared to the irreparable damage being done by the millions of side by sides on the trail right now. They are out of control.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am not suggesting we go easy on the guy. I hate the culture and "that guy" that is attracted to his feed. It is making it harder for people that respect land and property to travel, but his feed is nothing compared to the irreparable damage being done by the millions of side by sides on the trail right now. They are out of control.

I don't think it is the SXS's...it is people man... :) Hey, aren't we people!?

dome-20-1491.jpg

1-20-e1534267328109.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior