Tacoma aluminum Pop-up

Tedlee

I'm looking for the lift mechanism you used for the top. Where did you source that?
Or, did you engineer and fabricate on your own? If so can we talk about if you would be willing to share that info.

Reardensteel

I am a toolmaker/fabricator by trade and have been looking for months at ways to convert my series IIa rover to pop top. This is gold, the missing piece I needed. I am going to start building this hinge this week and start laying it all out. I will probably ly make a cap for my 2500hd first to try it all out while I get the rover working. Here's a pic I found what I want.

Attachments

• hevetak_extec_039.jpg
    hevetak_extec_039.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 180

McGyver

Totally inspired by this build! Amazing job for sure and something to be proud of no doubt! Going to pick up the perfect utility top to basically try to replicate something like this on my Ford Ranger! Can’t wait! Step one is getting this used top! Gonna be fun!

MI Adventure

can't take credit for the hinges or the canvas work, my moms got a nack for that type of stuff. The hinges were drawn up in solid works to meet my exact specs by a good friend. Idono if this will help any of you guys out there but here are the tec drawings... these type of hinges are super finicky.

IMG_7747.JPG

Thanks for posting the hinge plans! I have been searching on-line for months trying to find something along these lines. Are all arms and brackets steel with zinc plating or aluminum? If aluminum did you use 6061-t6 for the arms and a softer grade for the "U" shaped brackets? Did they get assembled with bronze or bushings in the pivot points? What did you use for spacers so the links didn't move side to side inside the "U" shaped bracket? Any additional information would be appreciated! Thank you!

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is an exceptional and intriguing build, utilizing an off the shelf product and reworking it to one's own specifications!

The addition of fabricated structures and components to existing or reworked standard items opens up a realm of possibilities for camper construction and modification!

Whilst inspired by owner fabricated builds, I'd think that they have skills and equipment I don't have so I can't do those things!

Buying camper plans, but unable to aluminium fabricate or pay someone to, I finally decided to get myself some equipment and to learn how to use it!

At some point I'll work to a reasonably good standard to make things sufficient for my purposes.

I say this as I see posters saying they don't have the skills to build what they want, so perhaps think about actually learning how to do these things?

The Internet, websites, forums, podcasts, blogs/vlogs and YouTube are all free resources, as are libraries. Books are great too, and inexpensive pre-owned!

There are Engineering/Technology/Build Centres in many US cities where one can learn under guidance and hire tools, equipment and machinery to do a multitude of things (vacuum forming, 3D printing-including metal printing, machining, welding, fabrication, etc).

Instead of just thinking how great it would be to be able to make or adapt something, actually start by learning how to do it!

Reactions: plh

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Thanks for posting the hinge plans! I have been searching on-line for months trying to find something along these lines. Are all arms and brackets steel with zinc plating or aluminum? If aluminum did you use 6061-t6 for the arms and a softer grade for the "U" shaped brackets? Did they get assembled with bronze or bushings in the pivot points? What did you use for spacers so the links didn't move side to side inside the "U" shaped bracket? Any additional information would be appreciated! Thank you!
This is an exceptional and intriguing build, utilizing an off the shelf product and reworking it to one's own specifications!

The addition of fabricated structures and components to existing or reworked standard items opens up a realm of possibilities for camper construction and modification!

Whilst inspired by owner fabricated builds, I'd think that they have skills and equipment I don't have so I can't do those things!

Buying camper plans, but unable to aluminium fabricate or pay someone to, I finally decided to get myself some equipment and to learn how to use it!

At some point I'll work to a reasonably good standard to make things sufficient for my purposes.

I say this as I see posters saying they don't have the skills to build what they want, so perhaps think about actually learning how to do these things?

The Internet, websites, forums, podcasts, blogs/vlogs and YouTube are all free resources, as are libraries. Books are great too, and inexpensive pre-owned!

There are Engineering/Technology/Build Centres in many US cities where one can learn under guidance and hire tools, equipment and machinery to do a multitude of things (vacuum forming, 3D printing-including metal printing, machining, welding, fabrication, etc).

Instead of just thinking how great it would be to be able to make or adapt something, actually start by learning how to do it!

@miniorf 's lifting hinges are very much like those used on Westfalias, which came in at least two different styles, both of which lift an end when the other end is raised.

I scored a new pair of stainless lift hinges recently, made by an outfit in the UK. Often hard to find in the US, though come up sometimes used in pick-n-pull yards or online, though often in rough shape or bent.

I may be selling the new pair I have, depending on direction I go for my own pop-top. Though not as large perhaps (at 19" long) as the custom made ones in this build, are plenty large and stout enough to lift a wedge-style pop top.

0-westyhingelifts_5727-900.jpg

This is exactly what I want. I've used the DCU on long trips. Stealthy. Strong. Reliable. Use every day when not camping. But there's no headroom. Tired of outdoor toilet! Hiatus cap is closest I've found but too complicated and 2 year lead time.

Attachments

• Nevada US 50.JPG
    Nevada US 50.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 51

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke