Tacoma aluminum Pop-up

robert

Expedition Leader
Updates? How is it holding up? I'd love to see more pictures of this including the interior.

Boneshaker

X3 - I got excited when I saw this thread back up at the top..... was hoping miniorf had returned with some updates.......

Recommended books for Overlanding

Lv4tacos

Fantastic build! I wish someone made this type of camper shell for my Tacoma - just what I have been looking for. I personally would prefer fiberglass, but aluminum is good.

OP, you really should think about making a few of these.

ckupq

Observer
I'd like more information on what you did for a forming die for your bender. I'd like to make one of these for my Sierra 1500.

callie_alice

Version 1.0

This is extremely helpful! I am in the planning stages of my own build. Did you consider doing a T-top style? If so, what made you decide not to do it?

How has the insulation held up? Any moisture issues? I built my first pop truck topper last year (version 1.0) and after learning a lot and spending a year in it, I'm ready to build version 2.0.

1.0 was not a cab over, and as a result, had really limited space for 2 avid runners to sleep plus all of our gear, etc. It was basically just a place to sleep. I'll try and attach some photos. I want to keep some elements of it but in version 2.0 I'm going to weld a frame rather than the 2x2s that I used on this one. I'm thinking of a T-top so that there is more sleeping room in the loft area (cab over) but have not found a ton of advice out there as far as how to hinge it, so may end up with something like yours.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Ill have to tell Miniorf to get back to posting, I believe he is somewhere wandering around Spain as he was captaining a sailboat in corsica all fall for work. As far as I know its holding up great and is hanging out in Mass while he is away. Ill tell him there is interest back here..

Overado

Observer
Awesome build man I have been designing something very similar glad I stumbled upon this thread gives me more motivation to make it happen

Umnak

Adventurer
amazing build and a great narrative to go along with it. I'll look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Into Africa
by Sam Manicom
From $24.07
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

jim molloy

Miniorf,
I just found this thread linked in Pinterest under "Camper trailers". An unexpected but totally pleasant find! First, as so many have already done, I wish to express my awe in what you have been able to accomplish. Beautiful piece of work!

I have recently been toying with ideas of how in increase the living space in our 1975 Volvo TGB11 without making any changes that would be considered permanent. A roof mounted Westy type pop-top mounted to the roof using the original Volvo roof hatch seems to be my best option. The Volvo's roof already has multiple integral mounting points so securing a large panel of aluminum 5-bar plate as the top's floor would be no problem.

Just a couple questions at this point. What is the overall height/thickness of the pop-top directly over the cab section of the truck in its closed position? While your hinges are works of art and appear very sturdy, if you ever consider just using a pair of original hinges from a Westfalia top?

Once again, very beautiful and inspiring work.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com

and a couple of videos from Northwest MogFest 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_pij5P4ro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd3bkHgqqFc