Tacoma alternator output

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hi,

Anyone remember what the average above idle (with load) output is for a 01-04 Tacoma alternator? From memory it should be a consistent 14+ volts under load with no extra accessories turned on.

Unfortunately my ScanGauge is showing lower output lately: 13.5 - 13.9. Rarely going over 14.

Thoughts?

Pete

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think 14.2 is where the regulator is set, but it also depends on the state of the battery,,, did you drop in a new one? could also be an old one giving a false feedback for the alt. check it. it could just be getting weak. thats the bonus with the gauge, keep an eye on it.

Willman

I need to buy a ScanGauge....

90 amp output right Pete with our DC Taco's??? (running at good idle)

:sombrero:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I was thinking more volts then amps and it is a new battery in there...

I'll watch it over the weekend - off to BC!

Pete

RHINO

Expedition Leader
have you noticed if this has been since the new batt was installed? or just recently well after the new batt went in? i ask cause the alt output is variable on demand and with a new batt it just may not be demanding more than what your seeing.

Willman

Have fun in BC!

I miss that sweet place!:ylsmoke:

Let us know how it turns out....

:sombrero:

Hawk Thor

I know this is an old thread but I thought I might add that cleaning grounds by polishing the metal to metal contact points might help.

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
Havent been on here in a while and came across this thread I will be in the near future purchasing a mean green alternator and have a high idle idea in mind for heavy load operations ie. compressor, winching etc... it will involve the use of a manual clutch cable to be pulled which will kick the idle of the engine up to about 500-800rpm as needed to create a good charge from the alternator. The mean green puts out approx 200amps if i read it right. More information to follow.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Totally forgot to update this thread...

First, all the contacts were freshly cleaned. I've done thousands of miles since and the average has popped up higher again to 13.8 - 14.

Like hear more about your experiences with the mean grean Joe. An alternator upgrade is in my future, but not for at least the next 12 months (barring any failures of course).

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles