TacoChaser-sneak peek

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Wow, what started as a whim has turned out to have generated quite a bit of positive commentary! Thanks everybody for your input and encouragement.

Today we got our frame back from powder coating and we'll be doing a pre-completion assembly to fit wiring, lid, rack etc. Next week Scotty will take the whole assembly to Sacramento to meet up with Matt and install the assy on the Taco. We're really stoked about how it's going.

This whole project has us planning all types of scenarios revolving around what we think people want in an expedition rig conversion. We've tried to boil it down to concise summary and we think it goes something like this:

Light weight yet heavy duty 4x4, short to medium wheel base, narrow to medium wheel track, secure and practical storage, food prep & preservation, sleeping accomodations, diesel motive power and global parts availability.
Yes we could add all kinds of other criteria to it but those would be accessories. To us, this is the basic form.

elcoyote

blupaddler said:
So, for those of us who either don't feel like driving to Phx or can't. We do we get to see this marvelous creation for ourselves?

:26_7_2:

Although Matt is currently residing in Sacto, he may move down to SoCal in the near future in which case his rig would be available to see at our shop in Upland, CA. Depending on how this project wraps up, we hope to make it a regular product and you'll see lots of it on our website.

elcoyote

Okay, here's a pix of the near completed TacoChaser body, ready to mount on Matt's Taco.

gillti

Adventurer
guess you guys got to work after I left there today:p
Thanks Mario for checking out the trailer, and for taking the time to talk and hang out. I appreciate it. Can't wait to see the taco chaser in person!
tjg

elcoyote

Okay, just a teaser here...Scotty holding up the 4 way LED brake, turn & tail light we will be using. Very bright. Scotty will be mounting up the body to the Taco this weekend. I promise more pix on Monday. What do you think of the utility work light on the back?

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Is that a Hella El Matador work light? If it is than I have a buddy who has had very good luck w/ it! Looks awesome! Are you going to wire it in w/ the back-up lights?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Matt is going to get stopped and asked questions very frequently...

Mario, it is looking very snazzy! I like the rack and the work lamp very much. I'm looking forward to the new pics next week.

:lurk:

elcoyote

Good eye Andrew! The work light is a 55 watt Hella Matador. It is set up as a work light only. There will be a seperate set of back lights.

Beleive me, mounting on a MJ has seriously crossed my mind. I've got a set of silver panels here in the shop looking lustfully at my mine!

The signal lamp is from Innovative Lighting, PN 253-4400. More at www.innovativelight.com

I would agree with you Baja. Originally Matt wanted to build something that would attract LESS attention from the local authorities because of wheel well and fender compliance issues with his chopped Taco bed. Now with the conversion, albeit compliant, he will probably draw even more attention! I guess he better behave :rolleyes:

The look is starting to remind me of the WWII Dodge Power Wagon ....hmmmm YotaWagon????

toyrunner95

Explorer
MORE PICS!!! i need new desktop backgrounds!! hahaha this thing looks awsome! what kind of rack is that, you may have said already. those look like thule bars am i right?

elcoyote

The rack is a Surco Safari 7250 (72"L x 50"W x 5"H) . We set it up with a full set of floor slats, 4 cross bars, shovel & axe carrier, hi-lift carrier and a tire carrier. When assmbled correctly with a bit of loctite, it's a pretty stout system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier