TacoChaser-sneak peek

oly884

elcoyote said:
To clarify, there is a frame that fits on the Taco bed body mounts. It is 40" wide whereas the Taco frame is approx 43" wide. Matt has not had any rubbing issues that I know of, even with the factory bed. I think this may be due in part to his wheel offset and spring over conversion. I'll have to check but I think he has a set of spacers on his current rear end to match the Jeep Grand Wagoneer front axle mod.
I am not familiar with how the Tundra is set up. Is yours spring over or under? This may have something to do with the rubbing, so might wheel offset.
At any rate, we plan to have the Taco Chaser in the booth at the upcoming ISE show in PHX on March 9-11. If you're in the neighborhood, be sure to drop by, meet Matt and bring a tape measure.

I'm very interested in this given that I'm planning on building a permanent mount for my camper to my truck.

The bed is nice to have, but there is a lot of unused space, especially when the camper is on the truck.

I may be bothering you for some simple measurements once this starts to get near completed.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
In regards to the Taco, some fiberglass bedsides might help unify the look, as the Chaser sits kind of high. Just for looks though.

In regards to the same on an FJ, I bet it could be snuggled down inside the lines of the body and look super awesome.

toyrunner95

Explorer
thats awsome, i swear the guys on here anve some of the most unique and wicked ideas. whish i werr smrt liik thaat:elkgrin:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Ah, only if we had a donor FJ 45 or a Brute to play with...any offers?

The whole assembly will be dropped down so we'll see how it looks before it's finished. We thought about some panels to fill out the wheel wells too in case it looks too weird.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
BajaTaco said:
That is rockin!

I am already seeing visions of a Horzion with RTT on the back of a chopped FJ...

Baja, scary thing is that preliminary measurements lead us to think that fitting a Horizon to a Taco double cab will be a slam dunk as well!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
:drool: :drool: :drool:

This is better than daytime TV:lurk: My problem is I keep surfing at work to check up on this thread:violent-smiley-031:

elcoyote said:
To clarify, there is a frame that fits on the Taco bed body mounts. It is 40" wide whereas the Taco frame is approx 43" wide. Matt has not had any rubbing issues that I know of, even with the factory bed. I think this may be due in part to his wheel offset and spring over conversion. I'll have to check but I think he has a set of spacers on his current rear end to match the Jeep Grand Wagoneer front axle mod.
I am not familiar with how the Tundra is set up. Is yours spring over or under? This may have something to do with the rubbing, so might wheel offset.
At any rate, we plan to have the Taco Chaser in the booth at the upcoming ISE show in PHX on March 9-11. If you're in the neighborhood, be sure to drop by, meet Matt and bring a tape measure.
Sounds like a slam dunk for sure :D. My wheels have a pretty deep backspacing for the tire width, 4.5" but it's a 12.5" wide tire on an 8" wide rim. Tundras come spring over from the factory, but with the axle width they gave us on both trucks, I don't think they ever expected us to do the things we do :smilies27.
We'll definately drop in when we're in PHX! Katie has relatives there, we're waiting for the el cheapo ticket deals ;)...or a long stretch of vacation to bring the truck.

Dunno if this will help but it's an idea...I found a place that sells scrap sheets of polycarb in various hues and thicknesses. 1/8" is easy to work with, and looks like it'll make great liners for wheel wells and for covering the gap between the frame and anything on top, so less crud gets in the spaces. They're asking about 3$-6$/# for scrap sheet depending on color (clear vs opaque), might be someone in PHX with a similar deal. These guys are Colorado Plastics, I'm sure they'll ship but local is easier. The stuff is great...nothing sticks to it easily, and it's fairly easy to work with. Much more durable than the "Lift Lips", tho those are good quality as well.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Yowza, Mario!
That's a great concept idea & vehicle! :victory:
I can almost see a Ute vehicle similar to what the Aussie's do, integrating a custom touring unit to the bed/frame of the Ute. Awesome stuff!
Could be a whole new direction for you guys!

:sombrero:
Ed

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mario, this is GREAT! I am going to be at the show again this year to drool over your trailers, and now to see the TacoChaser in person. Awesome!

<<<Hi-Jack>>>

Who all is going to the Sportsmans show in Phoenix again this year? Perhaps we could do another dinner get together one night after the show again?

<<<End Hi-Jack>>>

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
elcoyote said:
Baja, scary thing is that preliminary measurements lead us to think that fitting a Horizon to a Taco double cab will be a slam dunk as well!

A long time ago when I was just kicking cans in the street with a guy named Scott... I tried to convince him to mount his old VenturCraft onto the back of his double-cab Tacoma. Obviously, it never came to be, and he ended up with something even more cool, but it was fun thinking about it.

This is great stuff! I encourage you to take it all the way :clapsmile

blupaddler

Conspirator
Wow, now there is REALLY a reason to buy a Tacoma.

So, for those of us who either don't feel like driving to Phx or can't. We do we get to see this marvelous creation for ourselves?

:26_7_2:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
elcoyote said:

That was where my mind jumped to... Want to try it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior