Taco Regearing cost?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Pull you 3rds and it can be done in the $1100 range.

Gears - $400
Install Kits - $300
Setup labor - $375
Misc seals - $50

Rexsname

Explorer
We pull a small trailer and with the stock 4.10 gears the truck would hunt back and forth between third gear and overdrive. Now that I've gone with the 4.88s the truck seems 'happier' on the freeway. I will be changing the tire size to 33x10.50 soon and hope that the happiness remains.

LOve the re-gear around town and off road but having the speedometer be incorrect buy that much is annoying on the freeway. 75mph actual is 90mph indicated.

REX

tacollie

Glamper
I would regear and not supercharge. Everyone I know with a supercharger has lots of power but average 12-14mpg around town. Gears will help your crawl ratio and make better use of you torque on road. $1200 sounds about right.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Everyone I know with a supercharger has lots of power but average 12-14mpg around town.

They're doing it wrong...

Me = 18.9mpg average in town, as high as 21.8mpg average on the highway. That's a 5 year average (with 33's) that I track rather consistently. The worst mpg I have ever gotten was 13.8mpg and that was in 4wd on the trail for a week in Canyonlands NP, with my FWC mounted on the truck.

Gears are great to get him back into his stock powerband with 33's. It still won't be enough with his Four Wheel Camper on the back. The 3.4ltr stock with a FWC on the back will lag considerably. What is needed is additional horsepower and the only way to achieve significant horsepower over stock is to add a supercharger.

YMMV....

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on regearing my '03 Tacoma? Labor and parts?
The combination of 33's and the Four Wheel Camper have turned it into a bit of a dog....

Thanks,

Gary

The price will also change a bit depending on if you have the 8" rear e-locker or the 8.4" non e-locker differential (both the gears and installation kits for the rear end have different costs, however labor is the same). The gears will also help with your clutch if its a manual, or keep the heat down and prolong the life of your automatic by reducing slippage.

Cackalak Han

Explorer

Me = 18.9mpg average in town, as high as 21.8mpg average on the highway. That's a 5 year average (with 33's) that I track rather consistently. The worst mpg I have ever gotten was 13.8mpg and that was in 4wd on the trail for a week in Canyonlands NP, with my FWC mounted on the truck.
YMMV....

My stock 98 3.4L 4Runner w/ TRD supercharger averaged ~20MPG on the freeway and 17 around town. I wasn't exactly babying it, either. I loved hearing that whine. :D

GaryMc

Explorer
I stopped by Safari LTD. at lunch and talked to Hugh about it for a bit. I'm going to regear in March and see what I think .... A supercharger is not out of the question. I like the fact that taing it back to the stock ratio will make life easier on my clutch and the around town driving.
For Safari to do the work it will be $1800'ish. I do not have a good workspace so will not do it myself.
One of these days I will have a real garage!

Thanks again guys.

tacollie

Glamper

Gears are great to get him back into his stock powerband with 33's. It still won't be enough with his Four Wheel Camper on the back. The 3.4ltr stock with a FWC on the back will lag considerably. What is needed is additional horsepower and the only way to achieve significant horsepower over stock is to add a supercharger.

YMMV....

Sweet. The three people I know with SCs may have done it wrong. The HP would be nice with the FWC. 4.56s with a SC would be killer it sounds like. I am just going the cheaper route, 4.88s, I don't have 700lbs on the back either. Planning on 500lbs.

OTR

Adventurer
Love the re-gear around town and off road but having the speedometer be incorrect buy that much is annoying on the freeway. 75mph actual is 90mph indicated.

REX[/QUOTE]

WOW! You must be realy racking up the miles on your truck.

Adventurer
I too have priced it out...

Came out to be around $1,200......This price is taking out your own diffs and taking them to a local shop for some under the table side work.

Supercharger.....still kicking it around!

:smiley_drive:

Will, what gears are you running now?

NothingClever

Explorer
Eye Candy

I went with the re-gear through Armorology and the frugal (read poor) man's version of an off-body frame restoration.

Armorology-11-BA_0000.jpg

Armorology-11-BA_000.jpg

Armorology-11-BA026.jpg

Armorology-11-BA030.jpg

Armorology-11-BA029.jpg

Armorology-11-BA031.jpg

Armorology-11-BA002.jpg

Armorology-11-BA027.jpg

Armorology-11-BA015.jpg

Armorology-11-BA011.jpg

Armorology-11-BA007.jpg

Armorology-11-BA024.jpg

Armorology-11-BA036.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
well,

it sounds like you have it figured out, but for what it's worth...

i was quoted approx. $1,200 for the local 4Wheel Parts store/shop to re-gear my truck ('94 toyota) to 4.56 for both front and rear. for an extra $150-200 i could get a lifetime warranty on labor.

NothingClever

Explorer
it sounds like you have it figured out, but for what it's worth...

i was quoted approx. $1,200 for the local 4Wheel Parts store/shop to re-gear my truck ('94 toyota) to 4.56 for both front and rear. for an extra $150-200 i could get a lifetime warranty on labor.

You are correct, sir - I figured out a good solution for me :victory: . I'm outside the US and didn't have the benefit of time to shop around. I'm simply exemplifying the age-old paradigm.....time = money.

Little time, lotta money.

Lotta time, little money.

So, although anything by Armorology costs more than Uncle Fuddy's and the Brothers Mullet down the road, I know that Jed Heming will do the job I would do if I were home.

Regardless, I'm a kindered spirit of the CBOA* Club and I recognize the secret handshake you were extending.

* Cheap Bastards of America Club, a loose affiliation of shadetree engineers and entrepreneurs who make ******** happen on a budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles