Taco Fly-Buy-Drive

jeepstream

Observer
We started to realize that having the great 4x4 camping unit opened up many possibilities. After we passed Missoula we saw an exit for Glacier National Park. Glacier wasn’t on my radar for this trip, but seeing the sign made me realize this was the moment I had waited decades for. We started taking our son and daughter to national parks during our summer vacations when they were 7 and 10. Glacier was always too far from everywhere else and an expensive place for four to fly. I stopped at the next exit and after a quick exchange, we were heading north to Glacier.

Attachments

• E6B6FABA-26A6-4DAB-8BDF-3715F1182CC3.jpeg
    E6B6FABA-26A6-4DAB-8BDF-3715F1182CC3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25

jeepstream

Observer
I was just reminiscing about the trips I took last year with my son and the Tacoma. I realized I didn't continue the updates, so I'll share a bit more about our ongoing Senior year journeys.
Taco Flyfishing.jpg
After spending two days exploring Glacier National Park before the big fires, including some obligatory fly fishing in Montana waters, we headed west to Seattle to visit the University of Washington campus.
Montana Flyfishing.jpg

I made the difficult decision to store the truck at a Public Storage 13 miles from SeaTac airport. The first 30 days were free and the site ended up being covered. I spent about $120 to safely store it for two months. She was there waiting for us when we returned for Part II in September. There are a ton of Public Storage places around the country when you start to notice them. A great option for keeping a vehicle stored near airports.

Last edited:

jeepstream

Observer
Part II began in September during my son's Fall break. I was concerned about the battery being dead since I forgot to disconnect it before we left it in July. Sure enough, there were no signs of life when we returned. Plan A was to use the small Lithium Ion jumper I bought at WalMart for $20 a couple of years ago and left in the truck. I had little hope it would work. To my surprise, she sprang to life after the second attempt. We were back on the road and heading to the Pacific Ocean after having an outstanding dinner at the Salmon House on Lake Quinault. 20180916_101115.jpg

Last edited:

jeepstream

Observer
Our primary goal for this trip was to do some quality backpacking in the Northwest. Our first hike started in the Olympic National Park at the Sol Duc Falls parking lot. We did the 19-mile High Divide-Seven Lakes Basin Loop clockwise at the recommendation of the park ranger who issued us our bear canister. We chose to hike through the rainforest while it rained so we would have clear views along the High Divide portion of the hike. We got soaked on day one and woke to a frozen tent and gear the next morning.
Olympic waterfall.jpg

jeepstream

Observer
We quickly forgot about our wet feet and frozen gear within a half mile of the campsite when we got a clear glimpse of Mount Olympus.Mt Olympus.jpg

Smileyshaun

Observer
So many amazing memories being made and who knows maybe a new family tradition , can we give this guy a dad of the year award .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles