tablets

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i see talk of laptops, and now the small netbooks. i am going to be getting into the computer in the truck thing and i always figured a tablet would be the way to go. are there downsides i'm not thinking about?

rmccoy

Observer
RHINO said:
i see talk of laptops, and now the small netbooks. i am going to be getting into the computer in the truck thing and i always figured a tablet would be the way to go. are there downsides i'm not thinking about?

There are a couple downsides depending on the model you have. I have an Itronix DuoTouch. It is old and slow but it is a rugged tablet pc and works perfectly for what I use it for which is running oziexplorer and keeping my manuals in pdf. The downsides I have found with a tablet are: 1) no integrated keyboard makes every task longer; 2) the touch screen requires a special "pen" that is easy to lose - make sure you have a few just in case.

In the field, the lack of a keyboard hasn't been much of an issue. The pen works just fine for opening programs and naming waypoints and track files. I found it to be more of an issue when I used to directly prepare the tablet at home before a trip. It just takes a long time to use. Not much of a big deal anymore as I use my desktop running Ozi to set every thing up then transfer it to the Tablet.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have an HP TX1000 that works pretty well. Probably the best thing about it is that it works fine as a conventional laptop computer, so regardless of what you decide about the utility of the tablet, you're no worse off for having chosen one if the screen is the right size for you. (The HP's is 12" and I find that size a nice compromise.)

Some of the tablet stuff takes some practice to use efficiently, and the HP puts out a lot of hot air onto your arm if you are cradling it. And the screen is not "sunlight readable" like some of the speciality (and more expensive) tablets. Like I say, though, no downside to having tablet functions,. All in all, it's kind of cool for many things, and I have recently seen opportunities to pick the HPs up for as low as $750 after discounts, which strikes me as a bargain.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i definitely want the tablet with keyboard, a laptop with swivel screen i guess opposed to a slate type.

i can invision a regular laptop but when folded in tablet mode much less space to mount.

i have my eye on a refurb with a 10" screen.

thanks guys

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Some tablets are true touch-screens, others require a special pen. You want a touchscreen.

If you can afford it, get a sunlight visible screen. They are *way* nicer in the truck.

Don't overpay for a ruggedized unit if you are just going to use it inside the cab of a truck.

I have a semi-ruggedized sunlight visible 7" Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) on a RAM mount. It works extremely well for navigation, workshop manual, OBDII reader, and as a place to dump photos. I prefer the size over a full tablet because it is big enough to work, but not so big that it gets in your co-pilots way. It's an EO Tuftab by Tablet Kiosk. They are pretty spendy at $1700, but I'm happy with the hardware so far.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
thanks craig,, i like it but way too much $$ for me. lots to look at out there and with a minimal budget its not easy.

looks like i'll end up with a laptop for the bits to dollar value. the tablet i was looking at was an HP TC1100, i dunno.

craig

No problem, I like this topic. :) I should have mentioned. Asus also makes a 7" UMPC that has an integrated SIRF III GPS that can be found used for around $600. Works fantastic with a RAM mount on the dash.

I have 2 friends using them in their Range Rovers.

Craig

PCRover

Adventurer
There are a lot of affordable used ruggedized laptops available now days with reasonable processors to handle GPS applications. (Panasonic Toughbooks etc.) Many with Touch screens if you prefer. One area of concern for me would be the display hinge on those convertible tablets. The swivels look pretty week to me and I would be concerned if you plan on using it in a vehicle mounted application. I am using a PIII-600 Toughbook and it works great for me with GPS mapping and Internet running simultaneously.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i've looked at some umpc, netbooks ect. i really like the overall size. and the solid state HDD is prolly good for off road. but price is the problem for me with most of them.

rover i hear ya, i was thinking if i did get a convertible i would make something to hold the screen so it wouldnt tax the hinge.

i see older PIII laptops all day for under $150 but they take up much space in the cab, wouldnt it be great to have a 8-10" laptop screen on a suction cup mount with the computer in the glovebox or center console?

maybe i should work on that.

craig

mini-itx is your friend. :) Take a look at mp3car.com.

Craig

burquedoka

Adventurer
Hey there Gents, new guy here. I saw some talk of tablets and I thought I'd share my set up with you. I went for a used Fujitsu Stylistic 10" tablet PC. It's a few years old running XP w/ 30gb HD. I paid $300 for it. I bought a set of lever action suction mounts from panaviseonline.com and am using National Geographic TOPO for the off road stuff and Garmin city select for the on road. I love the set up so far. I'm leaving to drive down to the tip of Baja thursday and am excited to really put it to the test. I love the fact that you can see the maps on such a large screen, and it is really out of the way. I know each vehicle is setup differently inside, but on mine it works really well at staying out of the way of everything. Here are some photos. -James

Attachments

• screen-capture-1.jpg
    screen-capture-1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
  • screen-capture-2.jpg
    screen-capture-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 44

esh

Explorer
I have an Itronix DuoTouch (as mentioned previously). I find it a great solution, and very reasonably priced on ebay. For a little more than 600 you get a ruggedized PC with a Pentium M 733 at 1.1GHz, 1.2G RAM and a 40G hard drive. It might come with any combination of less memory, bluetooth, wifi, and/or a GPS. It takes some time to watch for them but they will come up in clumps from time to time from a large reseller. GPS is pretty worthless. Attaching (and charging) an external via USB is the way to go. I have a Garmin 60csx attached.

These are touchscreen but the pen is the better way to use it. I also use TOPO! and for within the app, moving around maps, touchscreen is fine. It is powerful enough to watch a movie, and battery life is just enough get you through one.

This is my 2nd tablet I have used just for mapping/navigation. The 1st was a nicely designed Taiwanese no-name that was build for office use, but survived nicely in the truck environment. It had a great little vinyl case. Two actually, one folded out into a keyboard. Was a different kind of pen, powered by a AAAA (yes 4) battery. Those weren't always easy to find.

The Itronix is mounted to a RAM mount. I have a piece of plexi epoxied to a RAM 2" ball mount and secure the tablet with velcro straps. Offroad it is just under my rear view mirror so I don't have to look away from the road. On-highway I don't use it.

More info at this page-

http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:Duo-Touch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94