Tablet Sizes?!

adio3x

Observer
Greetings all, I just wanted to get some feedback from overlanders who use tablets for navigating.

I've had the original ipad, then an ipad mini (1st gen), got rid of my mini cause I got the Iphone 6 Plus. So I have a general idea of the sizes.

Now I've decided to get an android operated tablet, mainly for mapping & videos on the go, but I can't seem to make up my mind on the sizes. The tablet I have chosen is the Samsung Galaxy S2 in 9.7" or 8". Going android cause the price is good & they have expandable memory. Obviously the larger screen will be better for movies & mapping, but I was wondering if anyone opted out for the smaller more portable size? I also have to think about mounting room, I'll most likely will invest in a RAM mount (passenger seat rail), but will also have a co-pilot in the rig, didn't want to take up their leg real estate.

Should I get the larger tab or opt for the smaller (which is basically just two iphone 6 plus screens on top of each other). If the price was drastically different, it would be an easy decision, but the larger version is just $50 more. I can't make up my mind, ugh!

Last edited:
I have both a Tab S2 8.4 and an Apple ipad air 2. I can tell you size wise, I think the Tab S2 is more vehicle friendly than the larger tablets. While I haven't taken my S2 on any off road adventures I have taken it on some car trips and I like it for travel better than my ipad.

adio3x

Observer
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! Decided to go with the 8, it'll be a nice little birthday present to myself lol.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
i just bought a lenovo 10 inch a-2 and I love it installed motion x and have been testing it it is great! I like a large screen to see more trails and data It will fit nicely right next to the grab bar facing the driver and the best thing the price 179 at best buy ask for a price match

Yuccahead

Adventurer
I used to use a Nexus 7" tablet. Liked the size but it eventually died on me. I purchased the 8" Samsung as a replacement. I was worried that this would be too big so I had the opposite concerns. I still feel it's kind of large for where I want it mounted in the upper left hand corner of the windshield.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am giving the android head units a try in both our rigs. The patriot and the wrangler. I am going to install in both, if I don't like them for any reason I can re sell and be out not a lot. If I do like them, I can move my current stereos and be out little. A win win. Then, I will get a Sirius dock for my sat system.

Rando

Explorer
I am giving the android head units a try in both our rigs. The patriot and the wrangler. I am going to install in both, if I don't like them for any reason I can re sell and be out not a lot. If I do like them, I can move my current stereos and be out little. A win win. Then, I will get a Sirius dock for my sat system.

How did this work out for you, and which head units did you use?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a Dell Venue 7 (no longer sold) and it is a great little tablet. I am an Android guy going way back, and not an Apple fan... so based on that, and the crazy low price a few years back this was an easy choice.

I liked the size because of the portability, and the fact I already had a 10.1" Samsung Tab 2. I sold the Tab 2 shortly after getting the Dell, because I just prefer the smaller size so much more. Easier to hold and to use in general, and it works awesome as a GPS/NAV device when coupled with my Dual GPS Puck receiver.

I have been super happy with this setup, and it has worked and served me well. Nice and bright, easy to read and fits well into the small Jeep XJ dash space I have.

robert

Expedition Leader
Another 8" user (Samsung Tab 3). Space in the Tacoma is a bit limited so it's a decent compromise. A buddy uses a larger iPad but he had to have a heavier mounting system with an extra stabilizing point to keep it from moving as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz