Tablet mounts

storey618

Observer
been trying to figure out for a while now how to make a mount for my ipad since all the mounts ive found are a bit too expensive. i had an hour before work and some scrap aluminum from other projects so i tossed this together, its for sure a prototype. the top will get some sort of clip, the edges will be cleaned up, and it needs a support/gusset to stabilize it a bit more.

SRXqlxQl.jpg

fyJHaHIl.jpg

reason im posting is to see if anyone else has made their own mounts.

storey618

Observer
I've seen some killer deals on tablet mounts lately. Some are around $20. Is that a Dakota?

http://a.co/d/irAaPDh

if that holder would hold an ipad mini i would buy it right now! yes it is a dakota. where else are you seeing deals because ive had a hell of a time trying to find them.

EDIT: actually i just went ahead and bought that kit. the mount wont hold my ipad but i have an idea. that same vehicle mount and arm (no ipad mount) is $62 dollars on padholdr's website and damn close if not more on rammounts site.
will post pictures when i finally receive it and hopefully my plan works. thanks trailscape!

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I didn’t realize that was a mini, but that same brand has a “social” model for the minis. There’s some holders for $20 for various vehicles.

I actually purchased one for a Malibu, removed the custom dash mount and bolted it directly to my center console.

Then I realized my iPad didn’t have gps, soo had to find another part. If you run into that, look into the Dual xgps150a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

storey618

Observer
I didn’t realize that was a mini, but that same brand has a “social” model for the minis. There’s some holders for $20 for various vehicles.

I actually purchased one for a Malibu, removed the custom dash mount and bolted it directly to my center console.

Then I realized my iPad didn’t have gps, soo had to find another part. If you run into that, look into the Dual xgps150a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what app are you using for gps on your ipad? i actually did have that problem and i didnt know there was a solution. i was more using my ipad for music and notes but now i might actually be able to use it for what i intended haha.

Explorerinil

Observer
what app are you using for gps on your ipad? i actually did have that problem and i didnt know there was a solution. i was more using my ipad for music and notes but now i might actually be able to use it for what i intended haha.
I am using the maps app on my ipad, works great.

storey618

Observer
I am using the maps app on my ipad, works great.

im learning so much in this thread haha i thought maps only ran when using wifi, had no idea it was only gps dependent. i downloaded navmii for that reason. guess all i need now is the gps receiver.

trailscape

Explorer

I purchased two apps recently for around $10 to compare the full features, both are designed to work offline. Sygic and CopilotGPS. I'm still trying to decide which I like best.
I do like that Sygic allows downloading individually states while Copilot only has regions so it takes considerably more space.

https://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation
https://copilotgps.com/en-us/car-navigation/

GaiaGPS is also popular around these forums. I haven't had a chance to really try it out.
https://www.gaiagps.com/

The GPS component is kind of pricey new, but you can probably find a used one for under $50 on eBay. They are popular with pilots, so I figure they should be good for us.

https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a

Explorerinil

Observer
im learning so much in this thread haha i thought maps only ran when using wifi, had no idea it was only gps dependent. i downloaded navmii for that reason. guess all i need now is the gps receiver.
I thought the same and apparently the old iPads worked that way, new ones have gps. I love the factory apple maps app, I had it reroute me around a bad accident on the interstate, it updates in real time kinda like the ways app some people use.

Explorerinil

Observer
That ram universal mount I got from amazon was like $90 and it will fit anything. I am very impressed with ram mounts.

ITTOG

Usually wireless, broadband (LTE, 3G, etc) not WiFi, is required to download the maps and GPS is for tracking. You just need to download the map before you are offline.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

storey618

Observer
Usually wireless, broadband (LTE, 3G, etc) not WiFi, is required to download the maps and GPS is for tracking. You just need to download the map before you are offline.

okay, thats how navmii works; i downloaded michigans map and then i just need the gps signal. ill have to look into how to do that on apple maps.

ITTOG

I want to clarify my comment on broadband and Wi-Fi. You can also download maps on Wi-Fi. I was just distinguishing between the two because usually you are on the road when you're downloading a map, not at your home or in a coffee shop. If you are at home then by all means download it via Wi-Fi because it will be faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz