Tablet for multiple cameras, Gaia, G maps and music?

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I did some searching and haven't found this discussion, though i doubt i'm the first to want this, so if the advice already exists I apologize but i haven't found it.

I've got an LR3 and i'd like to install a 7" android tablet in front of the factory nav screen. On this new tablet, i'd like to have the following functions:
  • google maps
  • gaia maps
  • music player
  • back-up camera that goes on automatically when i shift into reverse (and fires up and is active right away when i jump in the car, start the engine and start backing up -- this part may be a challenge?) and that i can also enable manually when not in reverse.
  • forward facing camera so i can see that big rock in front of me that is just below hood-line, out of sight, when i crested the hill.
  • bonus - connect to a camera on the back of the trailer i'm towing. I had this once when towing a 20' cargo trailer across the country and it was fantastic.
Is this something i can do with any android tablet by piecing together the right hardware and apps?
Is it better accomplished with a unit that is designed for cars?
Is it too damn complicated and is just going to piss me off so i should just forget about it? (this is probably the right answer)

Thanks for any help.
Here's a picture just for fun

20201212_070118.jpg

The Garmin Overlander can use up to 4 cameras, play music, YouTube etc. I sideloaded the Amazon App Store, so there’s VLC, podcast etc. The Garmin nav app is better than google maps in many cases. The Explore app is equal to Gaia in many respects, though I guess If you feel you need 250 available map layers, I digress. Many of the “layers” are actually built into the map. Like land ownership. You all have History POI, iOverlander, ultimate public campground etc. Also, it’s actually build from the ground up to operate in a vehicle. And the mounting system is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rene.rigter

The Garmin Overlander can use up to 4 cameras, play music, YouTube etc. I sideloaded the Amazon App Store, so there’s VLC, podcast etc. The Garmin nav app is better than google maps in many cases. The Explore app is equal to Gaia in many respects, though I guess If you feel you need 250 available map layers, I digress. Many of the “layers” are actually built into the map. Like land ownership. You all have History POI, iOverlander, ultimate public campground etc. Also, it’s actually build from the ground up to operate in a vehicle. And the mounting system is second to none.

What's your opinion about the sound quality of the Overlander?
Is it possible to sideload the playstore app and how do you sideload these?
I also have an overlander and like to expand the versatility

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

Haven’t found a reliable way for the Google play store. Depends on what your looking for. As far as sound quality, I pair it either to the truck stereo or any other Bluetooth speaker. Any tablet speakers are virtually pointless.

YouTube on the Overlander will be a nice addition. Is that possible?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

The browser plays YouTube just fine. There isn’t any audio sync issues with Bluetooth either.

The native app will not load without Google play.

Photobug

Is this something i can do with any android tablet by piecing together the right hardware and apps?
Is it better accomplished with a unit that is designed for cars?
Is it too damn complicated and is just going to piss me off so i should just forget about it? (this is probably the right answer)

All the features you suggest work with a high end double din stereo. 6 and 7 inches are pretty standard and I believe up to 12" are available. To get these features you need to pair it to your phone, some even pair wirelessly and some need the phone to be plugged in. For now you need an Iphone to work with Gaia on you stereo but I believe android is next on GAIAs list to implement.

It could likely be done with a tablet but the features of a car stereo will work the best and seamlessly.

If you want to add a android tablet it can be used as a backup or to put a secondary mapping source to run concurrently, say topos on one and sattelite on another.

All the features you suggest work with a high end double din stereo. 6 and 7 inches are pretty standard and I believe up to 12" are available. To get these features you need to pair it to your phone, some even pair wirelessly and some need the phone to be plugged in. For now you need an Iphone to work with Gaia on you stereo but I believe android is next on GAIAs list to implement.

It could likely be done with a tablet but the features of a car stereo will work the best and seamlessly.

If you want to add a android tablet it can be used as a backup or to put a secondary mapping source to run concurrently, say topos on one and sattelite on another.

I’m imagining that with an LR3, there is significant surgery required to get an aftermarket stereo to work. I didn’t come across a harness. I guess it really depends on how much the OP is willing to modify to go this direction.

Photobug

I’m imagining that with an LR3, there is significant surgery required to get an aftermarket stereo to work. I didn’t come across a harness. I guess it really depends on how much the OP is willing to modify to go this direction.

Very likely, but given the brand he has and what he spent on it, it would be very sad to think they put a less than stellar system in it. I know from experience with my Mazda 3 with a nice big infotainment system with issues. The prospect of changing it out can be daunting.

If the LR3 can be adapted to a single din stereo easier they have receivers that fit in a single din.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I'd like not to mess with the existing sound system. The quality is outstanding and it's liable to break the suspension or some damn thing if i mess with the radio on this over-complicated but fantastic rig. I just want to hook into the existing auxiliary input.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I'm not real excited about a Garmin product due to the number of old GPS units that were expensive and rapidly became obsolete. It's pretty expensive and i've yet to see a garmin product that even approaches the usability of a tablet... then again, it's been quite a while since i've looked at any garmin products. Regardless, i'm probably not willing to spend the money unless it really blows me away.

Photobug

I'd like not to mess with the existing sound system. The quality is outstanding and it's liable to break the suspension or some damn thing if i mess with the radio on this over-complicated but fantastic rig. I just want to hook into the existing auxiliary input.
Given how cool it is, it has to have some features that can get you partway there. Does your built in sound system have bluetooth? Android Auto? or Apple Car Play? Without altering your current rig, see what you can do with your current installed stereo. I would guess half of what you want to do could be done with it: navigation, music, backup cameras.

I'm not real excited about a Garmin product due to the number of old GPS units that were expensive and rapidly became obsolete. It's pretty expensive and i've yet to see a garmin product that even approaches the usability of a tablet... then again, it's been quite a while since i've looked at any garmin products. Regardless, i'm probably not willing to spend the money unless it really blows me away.

At least in terms of the Overlander, and I was a Garmin Montana user for 8 years, and I have a current subscription to OnX Offroad, it’s at its heart, an Android tablet with a custom Garmin OS. You can build your routes on the device or on the web or even in your phone app. You can import and export tracks. Display OSM topo, sat nav images, usgs quads, and others. It alone come preloaded with 34Gb of maps of North and South in 24k topo resolution. 4Square, iOverland, Ultimate Public Campground databases are all built in. It’s actually designed to be left on the dash of a hot car. Tablets can’t and will be damaged by heat. Native input with up to 4 cameras as well. I can’t think of something the average tablet user might need over the Garmin Overlander.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Given how cool it is, it has to have some features that can get you partway there. Does your built in sound system have bluetooth? Android Auto? or Apple Car Play? Without altering your current rig, see what you can do with your current installed stereo. I would guess half of what you want to do could be done with it: navigation, music, backup cameras.

Maybe the new Disco 5's. Mine's working with mid 2000's technology and was probably advanced at the time, but the LR3 was released before iPhones existed. Its connectivity is pretty limited by today's standards.

At least in terms of the Overlander, and I was a Garmin Montana user for 8 years, and I have a current subscription to OnX Offroad, it’s at its heart, an Android tablet with a custom Garmin OS. You can build your routes on the device or on the web or even in your phone app. You can import and export tracks. Display OSM topo, sat nav images, usgs quads, and others. It alone come preloaded with 34Gb of maps of North and South in 24k topo resolution. 4Square, iOverland, Ultimate Public Campground databases are all built in. It’s actually designed to be left on the dash of a hot car. Tablets can’t and will be damaged by heat. Native input with up to 4 cameras as well. I can’t think of something the average tablet user might need over the Garmin Overlander.

That actually sounds pretty compelling. I may have to see if i can get my hand on one.

Does it have the word overland prominently displayed? Can it be filed off? lol

Maybe the new Disco 5's. Mine's working with mid 2000's technology and was probably advanced at the time, but the LR3 was released before iPhones existed. Its connectivity is pretty limited by today's standards.

That actually sounds pretty compelling. I may have to see if i can get my hand on one.

Does it have the word overland prominently displayed? Can it be filed off? lol

It’s my main jam.
56f3a74310c5b84a11e83e5f18873d67.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles