table and chair storage

Bretthn

Explorer
Last night I picked up a nice folding Lifetime table at a local shop and threw it on top of my storage drawer in the back of the Lexus where I plan to carry it for travel. I already had my two large folding camp chairs in the back so these went on top of the table. The plan was to bungee everything down for trips but I did not secure it last night on my short drive home.

It only took one left turn to realize that these things slide violently into the right rear window even when turning at a slow speed. Any faster and the glass would likely have shattered.

I made it home safely and started looking at how exactly to secure them. A small cinch style ratchet strap sounds good, I am not sure if I like the idea of a bungee cord anymore.

Eventually I want to rebuild my drawers and raise the drawer and fridge so I have a trunk depth pocket underneath for the table and chairs. This way nothing is being stacked on top and it eliminates the need to lash them down.

How does everyone else store their chairs and table?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm now putting those things in the roof basket (arranged Tetris-style so there's no room to move, then will a cargo net overtop), but when I had such things on my sleeping platform in the back of my van, I used a SafariStraps cargo net fastened at four corners and cinched down such that nothing could move. (My overriding concern being that such cargo was right behind my daughter's head.)

Bretthn

Explorer
I'm now putting those things in the roof basket (arranged Tetris-style so there's no room to move, then will a cargo net overtop), but when I had such things on my sleeping platform in the back of my van, I used a SafariStraps cargo net fastened at four corners and cinched down such that nothing could move. (My overriding concern being that such cargo was right behind my daughter's head.)

Yes, my biggest concern is making it safe then secondary I want it quickly accessible and pack able. This is why I ditched my aluminum roll table in favor of a quick set up and take down table. I hope to eventually have a custom roof rack that I can mount the table under my rtt similar to what I see other manufacturers doing with stainless tables that cost $200 plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Here is a link to the cargo net I used. It happened to fit when I upgraded my roof basket, which was a nice bonus, but I originally bought it for the back of the van. It's got cam tensioners at each corner, so I was able to attach it very tightly around all the gear. Putting something squishy on top gave me something to cinch against and did the best job.

PS, I also have a lifetime table, and yes, they're particularly slippery, but also a great value for Cost vs Size vs Weight.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
For my Jeep JKU:

When I built my cargo area drawer/slide/platform I intentionally made it ride on top of the 3" tall drawer glides so that a folded table could fit underneath.

My platform is expanded metal for ease of tie-down, and I planned a "matching" table to slide into slots under it.

I haven't gotten around to building the table, since I found a cheap folder at Wal-mart that fits right in there. It slides a bit, but usually has a camera tripod on one side and a blanket jammed in there to take up slack.

I'll build the table someday... sure...

I use the canvas folding chairs that go in a bag, usually bungeed to the roof rack in front of the tent and often supplying the pressure to hold my fishing poles down.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Chairs go on the roof box, table goes in first below the other gear or on end between other items. I'd use a bungee but that's just me.

Lucky j

Explorer
How about a picture the help us help you?

In my case, on my drawer unit I made a space were tow small folding table fit wright in. I also have room for little thing in that storage area. Since it is like a drawer space w/o a drawer, I can still pile and secure stuff on top of it.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Tables, chairs, OZ tent, along with extra water and petrol go on top of the Front Runner rack. Only soft stuff goes inside like sleeping bags and pads but those are lashed as well. don't want anything sliding around. Clothes and food that does not need refrigeration go in the boxes on each side of the ARB cooler over the fold down seats. All other camping stuff goes in the drawers that make up the sleeping platform. There is a place for everything. Next item will be a secure place to put the 10 pound propane tank on the RR, going to have to make that as I have not seen anything that comes close to what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles