T100 Crunchy Front End

FJOE

Regular Dude
All-
I am nearing the end of my time abroad and will be preparing to bring my T100 back to the US in a few weeks. When it gets back to the US, its going to get a refresh. Recently, after two years in the Middle East, the front end is a but "crunchy" when I am nearing full steering lock. Not at all when driving, or at highway speed. I only notice it when I have to back up or pull forward out of parking spots, etc. I have a small vibration from 60-64ish as well. It's nothing bad, but when I pass through that range, I notice it. My passengers normally don't, to attest to how slight it is. I may have the driveline clunk that I have read about when I am in reverse, but I can't tell if its that or the crunchiness.

I will likely get the problem diagnosed and handled at a shop, as I will also be doing shocks and a few other things. Anyone have an insight? I'm thinking that due to the hot, dry climate, its likely bushings and the like. Other than that, shes still in great shape. I will add- no lift, no large tires. I have 31in General Grabbers on Toyota stock alloy wheels. I did do the Aisin hub swap but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

andysgreenxj

Observer
The crunchy sound that you're getting while parking on a hard lock is more than likely the turn stops...the plastic caps that are put on from the factory wear, and fall off. The vibration that you're getting at speed, is probably from a tire, or tires out of balance...food for thought, hope this helps:)

Reactions: bkg

dman93

Adventurer
As @andysgreenxj said it’s the steering stops. Regular dabs of grease cures it. Do it yourself in 5 minutes, no need for a shop. I will say that after replacing shocks, steering damper and sway bar bushings (myself) and paying for new ball joints, my 200K miles T100 felt like new ... ride and handling were about as good as my current 3rd gen Tacoma feels after 50K miles with original shocks.

FJOE

Regular Dude
It's definitely NOT the steering stops. I replaced those a few weeks ago. It doesn't happen at full lock, just when I am close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94