T100 Back in the US!

FJOE

Regular Dude
I just got back from 2 years in the Middle East with my '95 T100 DX. I want to say thanks to those that provided knowledge and guidance (whether we communicated directly, or I read your posts), and helped me figure out problems and find solutions during the truck's time abroad. She left the US a stock T100, and got skids, lights, snorkel, and a few other new parts during the journey. I am in the NYC metro area for a while, and driving the truck all over the region. I had the privilege of exploring some really interesting places, driving across deserts I have only read about in books, and made a lot of friends along the way. I was able to see how this hobby can transcend the deepest of cultural divides, and that was priceless. It restores a bit of faith in humanity when a bunch of people who under other circumstances would kill each other get together, swap stories, parts, tips, and help each other, with the common goal of having a good time. I saw some cool trucks, too. tons of Prados, Jimnys, and Hiluxes. I got more than one cash offer (big $$$) for the T100. People didn't know what to think of it, because it's bigger than the Hilux, but smaller than the F350's and Ram 3500's that were the only other pickups available. Toyota bums will be glad to know that just as much as we want the diesel (D4D or earlier variants), I also had a lot of offers on my 5VZ. In fact, I had to place several decals on the vehicle so it wouldn't be filled with diesel at full service stations.

It was a blast. Now she's home with me along with a bit of trail dust, but also a ton of great memories. If you see me around the area (you'll know its me) give me a honk or say hey. A lot of work has been done since we got back, including a frame patch (not a lot of rust on the frame in general, just a needed repair), brakes all around, and I'm going through it front to back with new bushings, and various other parts. She'll still go 80 down the Thruway with no problem.

Joe

20161218_090921.jpg20170114_115925.jpg20170114_115942.jpg20170114_151601.jpg20170114_163845.jpg20171128_182447.jpg

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
Wait, you drove through an actual desert without a rooftop tent, a fridge, bumpers, lockers, or 35's? Blasphemy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tennesseewj

Observer
Haha, joking aside - I love how utilitarian a regular cab long bed truck looks. Something about configuration suggests you showed up to get ******** done.

Obviously you were happy with the truck over the course of your travels. Is there anything you wish you could have or would have changed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FJOE

Regular Dude
. Is there anything you wish you could have or would have changed?

Believe it or not, nothing major. I probably would have installed the snorkel prior to leaving the US, because I was burning through air filters like crazy until I could get it shipped to me (Thanks Cruiser Outfitters) and installed. The Donaldson pre-filter was a necessity. The sand in some places was like moon dust. I took my Viair 350P which was a great piece of gear. The only thing you can find out there are cheap 12v compressors that burn out pretty quickly. The DX trim level doesn't have ABS or AC, and I was worried that not having AC would be a killer but it wasn't that bad. With the back glass open, I stayed cool enough. I was able to order and keep a decent stock of parts, but things that I needed sometimes took a while. I preached it a couple times here but having things like bulbs, wipers, interior accessory lights, oil filters and simple stuff like those little packs of dielectric grease and tire pressure gauges (pretty much everything on the counter displays at Advance Auto/Auto Zone) goes a long way towards making friends. Also because in some municipalities, having a headlight out meant you weren't allowed to operate the vehicle, or other things like that.

The single most valuable thing I had was my Priority Start. There were times I was overnight, hours from real roads. In an old truck like this, its easy to leave something on, or get some trickle to an accessory that will kill your battery. When I got home, I took it off the old battery, cleaned it up, replaced the truck's battery and reinstalled it. I will never travel abroad without one again. In the truck itself as a daily driver (and most of the trips) I have a trauma kit, a recovery bag with tow straps, shackles and soft shackles, a military E-Tool, compressor, basic socket set, a hammer and that's it. I'd throw a cooler in the back, a Therm-a-Rest, sleeping bag or poncho liner, and a cheap smartphone with a local SIM if I was too far from home. I crossed borders, took photos with border guards and shared with them whatever American snacks I had with me, it was really interesting. I spoke (not super well, but decent for the most part) their language, and I would not get irate at having to wait a few minutes longer while they poked around the truck. I asked a guy once if I could trade my truck for his 79 series with the 50cal in the bed. Some good laughs. The only issues I experienced were a muffler that was too bad to pass inspection (welded in a Hilux muffler), and I blew my PSR axle oil seals a couple months from coming home, so I just decided I'd deal with it here. Not bad for 2 years. A true testament to Toyota durability and craftsmanship.

Things that made it slightly easier-
-Upgraded hose with inline gauge from Viair
-Rigid Industries Dually D2's on the front bumper
-RAM Mount suction cup with an X Grip phone cradle
-Harbor freight Aluminum 1.5 ton jack with DMZ Fab aluminum skid
-Aisin hub swap
-4 hockey pucks (to use with the jack)
-Soft shackles
-A second tow point on the frame in the front (part numbers below)
>51961-35020
HOOK, FR

>51963-35080
STOPPER, FR HOOK WIR

>90101-12176
BOLT, HEXAGON (x2)

>94621-11200
WASHER, PLATE (x2)

Tools I had to acquire because I didn't have them with me-
-Bauer (Harbor Freight) impact wrench and sockets (worked great)
-Pickle Fork
-Torque Wrench

While I was there, a good friend of mine built up a used Subaru wagon that he got locally, put about a million lumens worth of lights on it, and he is still driving it all over the place. best of luck to you, John!

Again, thanks everyone. Especially Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, Victoria at ShortRun Pro, Tim at DMZ Fab, and the whole parts crew at Olathe Toyota in Kansas. I've never been there, but I'm sure its a nice place. You guys got me what I needed, as fast as you could. Especially when I had to rebuild the Aisin hubs and I needed gaskets and O-rings. I never got the grease stains out of the parts washer bathtub where I was staying, but oh well.

Joe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles