Synthetic winch line?

crusem

I have decided to go synthetic. I noticed the decal on an old Warn 8274 that had a rating listed for a 1/4" line. This started me thinking. In my research everyone recommends going to a shorter length of 3/8" instead of making the straight cross over to 5/16". If synthetic is in fact 60-70% stronger why are people increasing size? I know better power is to be had on the first layer but it seems like it would be attractive to at least keep a long length or gain more length by downsizing rope size. I will probably go with the masses and buy an extension to keep with me for those rare occasions but inquiring minds want to know!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My main reasons for going with larger diameter synthetic line ( on my 8274s and others )

-3/8 or 10mm line is a perfect match for the stock hole in the drum ( make sure to debur ), in combination with a tight Ashley stopper knot in the drum core, will give a VERY strong line connection. I have pulled hard off 1-2 wraps on the drum. 5/16 or thinner will start to pull through the hole, but you can add a fat/thick washer to span that hole better.

-I like having winch line that is rated for 2x the winch capacity at least. Most factory wire cable is rated more like 1:1!

-I see better long term life abusing 3/8 ( or 10mm ) line vs 5/16" line in synthetic applications on winches. I have winch lines that are 10+ years old and still looking very good.

I still get 130' of 3/8 ( or 10mm ) winch line on the stock drum when properly tensioned. The drum is not stuffed full either. I find that a really good overall length on an 8274.

228B

Observer
Outstanding info, Metcalf. Thank you.

What do you use? either a knot or a device such as an X-lock ($) to shorten your winch line for those times you deem that necessary...

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
My Warn XD9000 came originally with 5/16” 100’ steel

I went with 3/8" 80’ AmSteel synthetic as a compomise for less line to pull out to get optimal 1 or 2 wrap for pulls.
And went with 5/16” 50’ extension
Total 130’

I went with 5/16" extension figuring that would get low use.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Outstanding info, Metcalf. Thank you.

What do you use? either a knot or a device such as an X-lock ($) to shorten your winch line for those times you deem that necessary...

I don't typically 'need' to shorten my winch line that often at all, but there are a few tricks that work pretty well on the 8274. I will usually just grab a snatch ring if I need 'more' pulling power if the anchor is close to the vehicle. In the odd case that having the winch line shorter would be handy, you can remove the drum core cover on a stock 8274 and pull out the stopper knot for the winch line. Then do about one full layer on the drum with a long tail sticking out the side of the winch. This will give you 1st wrap pulling power at any distance from the anchor....but managing the tail is a bit annoying. You can also do a variation of this with just about any winch by using the drum like capstan system running the tail out the hawse.

228B

Observer
I don't typically 'need' to shorten my winch line that often at all, but there are a few tricks that work pretty well on the 8274.

You can also... [use] the drum like capstan system running the tail out the hawse.

Brilliant, that capstan technique! May have to give that a whirl one day.

Meanwhile... I just looked up the Warn 8274, and, good grief! that must be a great winch. I can see why you'd almost never "need" to shorten your winch line with that amazing machine...

Thanks again for your help. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles