syncro Doka

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello Syncronaut's,

I am looking for some information from people who own or have owned 4x4 syncro's and Dokas.
For the last 15 yrs. I have mainly been a toyota guy. I have owned all kinds and they have been fun. I recently have an itch to get into something different. For my needs and life style i love the pick up bed. I have been toying with trying to get a land cruiser ute or an hilux. It was during this search when i came across the Doka.

They are cool looking, but what is the reality. It seems when people talk about the syncro's its very black / white. I either hear its the best vehicle ever or the worst. I want to know with the doka, what is the payload, Could you put 1000lbs back there? How reliable are they offroad? I am not talking moab rock crawling, but lets say a few weeks around baja, the movaje trail, around mountain and wyoming.

Thanks

slowtwitch

Adventurer
If you like screwing around with your rig, obsessing about things, hemorrhaging money all the while having a 30+ year old vehicle that is underpowered, not the safest, and that any sane mechanic won't touch, go for it.
Polar opposite of the Toyota experience.

jgallo1

Adventurer
If you like screwing around with your rig, obsessing about things, hemorrhaging money all the while having a 30+ year old vehicle that is underpowered, not the safest, and that any sane mechanic won't touch, go for it.
Polar opposite of the Toyota experience.
I cant help but laugh at this. I wish more people would give this real of input.
Thanks
(y)

clift_d

The T25 Syncro's generally are pretty capable because the 4WD was designed by Steyr, who also did the Pinzgauer/G-Wagon/Haflinger, and who did the development and production on the Syncro for VW in exchange for diesel engines for their Pinzgauer vehicles. The Dokas have more space for engine conversions compared to the Syncro Vans/campers, and are a bit more capable offroad than some of the heavier campers due to their lighter body weight and low centre of gravity. In pretty much every other respect they are the same as the other variants, and they share lots of parts with the 2WD variants. There's no avoiding that most are now around 30 years old, and so you will need to look carefully at any potential purchase for corrosion in particular. However for a 30 year old vehicle the parts availability and community support is amazing, and resale value is also good. As you say, they're not rock crawlers by any means, but if you want a vehicle that will provide a good basis for overland or off-road journeys then they're a decent choice. We've got a Syncro Westy camper which we've used for our various family trips, the most ambitious of which was a month spent driving around Iceland.

If you want more info about Syncros then I would check suggest making yourself known on forums like club8090 and thesamba where there are plenty of owners of these vehicles who will be able to debate the positives and negatives of these vehicles with you.

160821_IMG_8110_small_zpsksuogbip.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles