SYA Kit Limiting Straps Binding

C. Pontes

Greetings,

I installed the SYA Kit on my 2007 LR3 with stock 18in rims and 265/70 tires. However, I'm encountering a problem: the rear limiting straps are binding on the rear inner wheels and tires at full extension. In order to compensate for this, I've had to install 30mm terrafirma wheel spacers, but the wheel spacers push the wheels out far enough to where the tires will contact the fenders if I suffer an air system malfunction, or if a tire is stuffed off-road. Along with the straps, I also installed the metal tabs Lucky8 sells which are supposed to keep the rear limiting straps from binding on the wheels, but the tabs aren't working as advertised.

Anyone out there encounter this problem and find a solution? I don't want to run wheel spacers, but am currently forced to due to the rear limiting strap situation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• LS1.jpg
    LS1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • LS3.jpg
    LS3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

garrycol

Why do you need limiting straps - just not necessary. I use LLAMS on my often on the highest setting - up to 2.0" higher above the superextended height and have no problems with wheel extension - just have to be careful at the front with steering at full lock as the CVs are at their weakest position.

With LLAMs I can still go to access height unlike the archaic SYA kit.

Last edited:

nickyill

Observer
The SYA kit is for Rovers running oversized tires. If you have an airbag/compressor malfunction and drop to stock bump stops, you will grind into your tires and you are dead in your tracks. LLAMS ain’t gonna help you then. Anything over a 265 65 18 (if I remember correctly) on an LR3 puts you in danger of being beached if you lose air suspension. You are thinking of the rod lift kit and to each his own on that front....

garrycol

With LLAMs if you drop to the bump stops you can still drive - and the chances of loosing air suspension is pretty remote, though possible. I ave no idea of rods.

nickyill

Observer
With LLAMs if you drop to the bump stops you can still drive - and the chances of loosing air suspension is pretty remote, though possible. I ave no idea of rods.

...of course you can, if you don’t have tires that are too big. SYA = Save ****************. It’s insurance for people with big tires. Limits the drop when air suspension fails. I picked up an LR3 used that needed an alignment, would drop to bump stops on the highway (for perceived safety) thinking I was making a hard turn. Throw in 33-34” tires and now I’m screwed as I drop on my tires at 70mph. LLAMS, IID Tool are all fantastic, but you need working air suspension components for them to do anything.

Al Blue4.6l

Yeah, as above - this is not correct - the entire point of the sya kit is to allow you to roll on the bumps with 33"+ tires

Al Blue4.6l

Why do you need limiting straps - just not necessary. I use LLAMS on my often on the highest setting - up to 2.0" higher above the superextended height and have no problems with wheel extension - just have to be careful at the front with steering at full lock as the CVs are at their weakest position.

With LLAMs I can still go to access height unlike the archaic SYA kit.

The limiting straps are to prevent over extension offroad. Not an issue on stock/lift rod/llams/etc setups - only with the sya spacers.

gatorgrizz27

Something doesn’t look right there, I’d review the installation instructions again and make sure something didn’t get mixed up like a bracket being turned the wrong way. I’ve never seen one of those kits in person but I doubt they designed it to rub all over the tires.

If you wanted to take a different approach, I can confirm that 265/65R18 tires will fully clear everything on the bump stops, including turning. I had looked at 265/70’s but didn’t want to chance it, and had considered having 1/4” thick plates cut to fit under the air strut mounts, the same way your kit installs. It appears the studs are long enough and that should be sufficient clearance. I would then ditch the straps.

NASDIESEL

The strap/bracket placement is kind of delicate and is trial and error to some extent. I had similar issues on my rear tires. I don't use any spacer.

morrisdl

Adventurer
The stock air struts have bump stops AND prevent the wheels from over extending beyond the CVs max safe angle.
The SYA drops the air struts bump stops are 2" lower; but the stock drop limit is also 2" beyond the CV design limit.
The SYV straps prevent the wheels from dropping beyond the CV spec range, but essentially eliminated 2" of "flex" on a truck that was already poor in that area.

I have been holding out on SYA waiting for a theoretical option that eliminate the need for straps:
#1) new "HD" CVs that can handle +2" drop range of motion (maybe these already exist)
#2) New SYA air struts with integrated range of motion restrictions to prevent CV damage

iowalr4

Adventurer
The stock air struts have bump stops AND prevent the wheels from over extending beyond the CVs max safe angle.
The SYA drops the air struts bump stops are 2" lower; but the stock drop limit is also 2" beyond the CV design limit.
The SYV straps prevent the wheels from dropping beyond the CV spec range, but essentially eliminated 2" of "flex" on a truck that was already poor in that area.

I have been holding out on SYA waiting for a theoretical option that eliminate the need for straps:
#1) new "HD" CVs that can handle +2" drop range of motion (maybe these already exist)
#2) New SYA air struts with integrated range of motion restrictions to prevent CV damage

Lucky 8 does have HD axels/cv shafts. But I don't know how they compare exactly to the stock ones. Anytime I email them for technical or detail questions I get one sentence basic responses. If I could get Atlantic British answers we might know more.

soflorovers

Lucky 8 does have HD axels/cv shafts. But I don't know how they compare exactly to the stock ones. Anytime I email them for technical or detail questions I get one sentence basic responses. If I could get Atlantic British answers we might know more.
It's a crapshoot. They were $4000+ for the HD Cv's. I spoke to someone with a RRS on 35" who bought them and it took months just to get them. When they arrived, LK8 was unhappy with the quality and stopped offering them. Seems like we need to wait a little longer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior