Swivel winch receiver mount???

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I have a winch mounted on a receiver plate that allows winch use front or back and also used on my trailer. It also keeps the winch out of New England weather.
When used in a side pull, the cable does not stack across the hub.
I see a swivel mount for the gasoline powered capstan winches, but I've not seen anyone make or use one for a standard electric winch.
What am I missing here. Seems like it would be a good design for winching.
I've seen portable winches mounted on a steel plate with a hole to go over a pintal hitch or a standard tow ball. Is this safe?

shade

It sounds like the winch would be positioned pretty far from the receiver, which would give it even more leverage against the receiver & vehicle frame.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Plus, a winch that is beefy enough to pull my 7800 pound vehicle around is going to be a bit heavy to carry around, store inside and mount on either the front or rear to really do me much good in a situation where I am in need of a winch. How to store it so that it doesn't become a missile in a sudden stop is beyond my comrehension.
Sounds great if you are talking about an ATV, but then there is no inside to store it anyway.
A side pull is going to be very questionable and create a fulcrum that might just do more damage than I want to contemplate.

I have a winch on the front that is going to have to work and with a little ingenuity and the proper tow straps and tree straps combined with pulleys should get me out of many situations that, if I am foolish enough, when traveling alone, to get myself into.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
My 4500 [pound winch is easily moved from vehicle to vehicle and to my trailer. Probably weighs 60 pounds or so.

Obviously there are issues with my idea or everyone would be making this type of receiver connection.

shade

My 4500 [pound winch is easily moved from vehicle to vehicle and to my trailer. Probably weighs 60 pounds or so.

Obviously there are issues with my idea or everyone would be making this type of receiver connection.
The risk of someone doing something exciting with that kind of winch platform is probably too high for most manufacturers to stomach. It'd be easy to mount a monster winch to a Class 3 receiver and generate lots of YouTube hits.

Otoh, there's some utility to being able to square up the pull without repositioning the vehicle. If you're confident that your setup is stout enough to stall the winch without damaging anything, give it a try ... but be careful.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I understand what you are trying to do, and second the comments about the impacts of side pressure on a standard receiver.

But depending on where you operate can you use snatch blocks and tree straps to get a straight pull? (I know the desert may be more difficult than in the woods with trees anywhere).

Maybe a Pul-Pal or similar as a dead man anchor to provide an "inline" anchor for the winch and then you change the angle with a snatch block off of that would solve your issue w/o exposing your receiver to tension it is not engineered for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94