Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

ITTOG

Without specific questions this will probably be incomplete but I will give it a go. I am 5' 6" and 160 pounds. I have a very muscular build (former weight lifter and body builder) with about 10% body fat. I wanted a 34x30 but they only had a 34x32. Thus they were long. For these pants I will require a belt. A 33 may have fit without needing a belt. But the fit was nice and relaxed. Good room in the crotch and thighs, even when sitting. They are tapered a bit so regardless if I wear them with boots or tennis shoes, the hem is kept off the ground. I like them enough I may try the T1 and T3 as well.

Per the pic, you might even consider them a baggy fit instead of relaxed.

Attachments

• PXL_20220516_133753754.jpg
    PXL_20220516_133753754.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57

SBSYNCRO

Per the pic, you might even consider them a baggy fit instead of relaxed.

As I suspected, too loose a fit for my preference. But for guys looking for a relaxed fit in a 100% synthetic pant, they look very functional.

ITTOG

As I suspected, too loose a fit for my preference. But for guys looking for a relaxed fit in a 100% synthetic pant, they look very functional.
You should try these then. They are more of a relaxed/skinny fit. Standing up it takes your form with a little looseness but sitting down they are tight and stretch a little.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I wear Lois "Jeans" which are 70% Cotton (Denim), 28% Polyester and 2% Spandex. The big thing is the Spandex part. It also has a stretchy waist band so it's super comfortable even while driving. They also have non-jeans colors like grey and beige. (Link: Brad-L collection)

I just came to the realization one day that Levi's were super uncomfortable! It was life changing! Well... not that life-changing... But still way more comfortable! ?

I recently ordered $500+ in TrueWerk clothing: pants, shorts, hot weather hoodie, t-shirts and socks. I sent all of it back. Poor quality to me: t-shirt fabric far too thin; socks had unfinished fabric ends hanging loose on the inside; pants were thin, box store nylon grade. To me, everything felt really cheaply made. The return process was easy and my refund was promptly processed, so you may want to try some of their stuff for yourself.

At the higher dollar level, I highly recommend pants from Kuiu.com. $100 plus per pair, and they are available in varying weights with varying insulation and 2 way or 4 way stretch. These fit the description of buy once; cry once, then wear 'em for a decade.

At a much lower price point, the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants are nice for the money.

jkam

nomadic man
I spend some time riding my motorcycle to and from town for errands.
I found Kuhl makes a pair of pants called Rydr. They are nice that they have articulated knees
and have been pretty durable. Not cheap, but the last couple of pairs lasted me about 5 years of everyday use.

I also have three pairs of Kuhl pants. Extremely durable. The full cut is likely to be a very loose to baggy fit unless you can easily squat 400 pounds. Kuhl also has regular fit and tapered fit cuts, but not in every pant style. I think I paid in the range of $70-85 per pair.

SBSYNCRO

I also have three pairs of Kuhl pants. Extremely durable. The full cut is likely to be a very loose to baggy fit unless you can easily squat 400 pounds. Kuhl also has regular fit and tapered fit cuts, but not in every pant style. I think I paid in the range of $70-85 per pair.

I have probably ten pairs of Kuhl pants, three or four shorts (wearing some as I type this in fact) and four or five of their jackets and fleeces. Generally I really like their stuff, but you're right - the cut is usually very "generous" and boxy (even their "tapered fit" pants are very loose in the thighs and butt). The other nit pick I have with their stuff is the the fabric puckers badly at the side seams after they have been washed (except for the original heavy canvas ones I got about ten years ago). Essentially, I think the thread they use to join the panels shrinks much more than the fabric, which then leads to "bunching up" along the entire length of the pant where the long panels are joined. This means they always look bunched up and wrinkly, and will never be wife-acceptable for wearing out to dinner, even to a burger joint.
IMG_7473.jpg

Kuhl does offer an impressive array of styles and weights - I have some for tropical conditions and some for fall/winter and everything in between.

I just picked up a pair of the Fjallraven Vidda Pro pants in G-1000 eco ($$$). So far very impressed, but they are not a "not jeans" pant and more of a technical hiking/mountaineering pant. The fabric is fantastic though, and the zip along both thighs really helps vent them - I think they will be perfect for Fall hunting when I'm wearing light base layer underneath and get hot while climbing a hill. They make a shorts version that I have and really like too. I can wear those shorts 10 days straight on a camping trip and they never seem to get loose, stretched out, or dirty feeling.

Last edited:

Awkragt

Adventurer
I have probably ten pairs of Kuhl pants, three or four shorts (wearing some as I type this in fact) and four or five of their jackets and fleeces. Generally I really like their stuff, but you're right - the cut is usually very "generous" and boxy (even their "tapered fit" pants are very loose in the thighs and butt).

Haha, yeah Kuhl calls it "Athletic". As a cyclist I find the fit is perfect. Like any technical pant its always hard to find the right compromise between lightweight, durability, and not feeling like nylon pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke