Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I have I think five pairs of the Fjallraven trousers that were about £200 each thinking they would last. Currently at about four years old and the two most worn pairs have worn through the "megatough" G1000 and been patched. The others are going the same way, knees mostly.
But these are zip off legs and have zip thigh vents which are really good for vehicle travel. Cold outside zipped up, warm in the car open the thigh vents. Warm outside same, hot outside zip the legs either half or fully off and open the thigh vents. Thigh vents are better than shorts when walking on moorland with ticks about!!
Mossie or noseeum net on those vents would be nice sometimes.
Waxing them may help durability but is a pain after every wash. Waterproofness is still fairly rubbish after doing it, maybe they work better in that respect in a dryer Scandanavian winter?
But not anything like as durable as I hoped at that price. Carhartts next I think.

Photobug

I wear the Eddie lined and un lined alot, go to pants for ouside and summer too !!!
Great sales too
and they hold up well

We have an Eddie Bauer here locally and I have been investing in their gear. Eddie makes some okay stuff for the price if you get it on sale. From black Friday till New Years day everything is half off, I think most holidays and end of he season will see 30 off, I would never pay retail for any EB. The pants don't fit me well, and durability is just okay.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like these. But they aren’t warm and are not as durable as jeans. They dry fast tho and have been great for hiking, sailing and every day stuff. I use Carhartt stuff for when durable material clothing or warmer stuff is needed.

yfarm

Observer
Wrangler performance cargo pant. Went from Patagonia Quandary pant at 70/ pr great pant, to Eddie Bauer guide at 40 on sale and another great pant though pills a little to the Wrangler at 21.72. All wear the same, very comfortable. Have spent a lot of time in these pants the last 2 yrs chasing Barbary sheep, Elk, Oryx and Ibex in some really challenging terrain and have no complaints about the performance. If its cold wear silkweight level 1 polartec under and good to well below freezing and dont get hot with activity. Rain has little effect until its a downpour and dries fast. Sheds snow well. Have yet to tear the fabric from sharp rock to brush. Used to wear Carhartt B11s no more.

mekcanix

Camper
I am a Carhartt guy been wearing them daily for a decade or 2. But recently discovered Noble Work pants and I hate to say it but they are giving my Carhartt's a run for the money. Seem durable with just the right amount of flex where you need it. Time will tell if they last the 5-7 years my carhartt's do but they are way more comfortable

SBSYNCRO

I am a Carhartt guy been wearing them daily for a decade or 2. But recently discovered Noble Work pants and I hate to say it but they are giving my Carhartt's a run for the money. Seem durable with just the right amount of flex where you need it. Time will tell if they last the 5-7 years my carhartt's do but they are way more comfortable

Those look interesting. Which style do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mekcanix

Camper

these are what I picked up

Imbecile

I like the KUHL pants. I was buying the 5.11 pants up until i tripped and fell knee first into the grass and it ripped a big hole in the knee of the pants. I was a bit dissappointed they didnt hold up better than that for such a small fall considering they were $75 dollars a pair. The KUHL pants cost about the same amount depending which model you wear. The main reason i now buy the KUHL pants is because you can order them in odd sizes.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I have I think five pairs of the Fjallraven trousers that were about £200 each thinking they would last. Currently at about four years old and the two most worn pairs have worn through the "megatough" G1000 and been patched. The others are going the same way, knees mostly.
But these are zip off legs and have zip thigh vents which are really good for vehicle travel. Cold outside zipped up, warm in the car open the thigh vents. Warm outside same, hot outside zip the legs either half or fully off and open the thigh vents. Thigh vents are better than shorts when walking on moorland with ticks about!!
Mossie or noseeum net on those vents would be nice sometimes.
Waxing them may help durability but is a pain after every wash. Waterproofness is still fairly rubbish after doing it, maybe they work better in that respect in a dryer Scandanavian winter?
But not anything like as durable as I hoped at that price. Carhartts next I think.

I've had lots of carhartts. Except for some double front carpenters I've never been really impressed with their quality. But the fit on the carpenters keeps me from wearing them very often. I really needed to go up a size on those.

I have been on the verge of ordering vida pros but have not followed through. I am thinking about trying some lighter fabric since I am in a very hot and humid climate. Maybe I need to look deeper at what Patagonia has.

pith helmet

I have really gotten to like the Dickies flex fit work pants from Walmart. At $22 they are cheap and indestructible and don’t shrink. The one gripe I have is the pockets are too shallow and I have to carry a knife with a clip lest I lose my pocket knife In a chair. Told my wife these are the first step toward going full Dickies coveralls in my later years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles