Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Costco recently had on sale “BC Clothing” brand cargo pants for less than $30. They’re a tough cotton/nylon blend, with a stretch waist, lots of pockets (zips, velcros, pockets inside pockets) including a hidden wallet pocket, pen pocket, and folding knife pocket.

They have the best designed zip off legs to convert to shorts that I’ve found....short shorts, not the stupid long ones other pants have that hang down past your knees! They came in tan, olive green, charcoal and I think black.

They all came with matching web belts too.

I bought three pairs for a 50 day rockies camping/exploration trip this summer. They’ve held up great and were part of my daily outfit, saving me packing space also since they doubled as shorts as needed.

For the price, flexibility and durability you’re going to have a tough time beating these.

I also have some 5.11’s and love them, but I got three pairs of these Costco pants for about the same cost!

Last edited:

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
Kuhl has pants for everyone. I’ve had all the “not jeans” and even kept my 5.11’s for painting and heavy grease or diesel projects. One pair of dockers and a few brooks brothers dress pants are in my closet too but all I wear anymore are the Kuhl’s. They have long and short inseams and many fabric choices. I wear a 34,35 or 36” waist and a 28”- 30” inseam depending upon the style. They make some for cold weather and wet/motorcycle or winter sports and some for desert and exertion in heat conditions. I cycle through 4 pairs weekly and they range from two to three years old. They look, fit and feel as good or better than they did when new. The pockets are not all the same sizes. I love the brand and strongly recommend Kuhl pants.

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Without reading this whole thread I’ll add my 2 cents. I quit jeans longer ago than many of you have breathed. My favorites are the Rigg Ranger by Wrangler and Cabelas Trailhiker II. Neither are perfect but pretty close. The Rangers would be perfect if they had flaps on the rear pockets. The Trailhiker II could be improved if they raised the double knee area so the seam was above the knee and not on it. Such a simple fix. I do like their elastic waist as most of us have changing waistlines. I’ve tried most of the pants described above. Always something I don’t like about most, such as ridiculously deep pockets. Ever stand in front of the cashier digging down to your knee for change? No thanks. Some have a crazy assortment of pockets that have no useful purpose.

But if I had only one choice it would be the Rigg Ranger for their superb fit, correct pockets, wear very well and just look good. If only they would add flaps to their back pockets. I see a lot of BLM, and Forest Service folks wearing these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree on the wranglers. I live in their shorts most of the year here in Phoenix. They have become my favorite long pants for hiking and working up at the canyon in drier weather. The fact that they are available with a 36” inseam is the clincher for me.

If you need special pants for overlanding something just ain’t right.

Read the thread title. None of the these are special pants, they are “other than” jeans are most are just as expensive or cheaper than some people’s preferences. But considering your title of “overland certified” is probably carrying you through life, I’m not surprised you said something off color from the post so you can be heard.

None of these pants are special in any sense outside of a recommendation that the OP was asking for for durable wear that is multi-use, affordable, and not jeans.

To the OP, hope my recommendations met your criteria as a recommendation to look into.

To @Ace Brown......typical, so typical

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Read the thread title. None of the these are special pants, they are “other than” jeans are most are just as expensive or cheaper than some people’s preferences. But considering your title of “overland certified” is probably carrying you through life, I’m not surprised you said something off color from the post so you can be heard.

None of these pants are special in any sense outside of a recommendation that the OP was asking for for durable wear that is multi-use, affordable, and not jeans.

To the OP, hope my recommendations met your criteria as a recommendation to look into.

To @Ace Brown......typical, so typical

Not typical at all. I replied to the OPs question with a serious answer a few posts back. You don’t like the overland certified tag but find it ok to call yourself “Victory_Overland”.

Several years ago Overland Journal did 5 day long training sessions of which I was graduate number 19. These were taught by Scott Brady and Graham Jackson but unfortunately they lost interest, or students, and the classes stopped. They were the real deal though, requiring wilderness first aid training and a HAM license to get that certification.

Ace

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I just got a pair of the new US Navy woking uniform pants. NWU type III, Pretty cool!
Poly/cotton, button fly, double knees and butt, laces at the leg bottom for blousing.
But over $50 a pair!

GB_Willys_2014

I have been wearing the Eddie Bauer first ascent series pants since last spring with good luck.

My wife is EB fanatic, and our closet looks like an EB storage unit.

Anyhow, I too have become a fan of the First Ascent pants and shorts. At first, I was very skeptical, but these are tough and comfortable.

I am hard on my stuff, and inevitably rip them, particularly pockets. The local seamstress just laughs, shrugs her shoulders and stitches them right up.

Boss Hog

Observer
I have a pair of the Duluth Trading Company Firehose cargo pants AND a pair of the 5-pocket Firehose “jeans”. I love both of them. I got a bad cut and spilled blood all over the cargo pants-I’m going to relace them with another pair.

Nice-enough looking to wear around the office, while not too “Carharrt-ish”, the 5 pocket jeans will start to phase out my Khul pants (which always develop a hole in the right knee).

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
I have a pair of the Duluth Trading Company Firehose cargo pants AND a pair of the 5-pocket Firehose “jeans”. I love both of them. I got a bad cut and spilled blood all over the cargo pants-I’m going to relace them with another pair.

Nice-enough looking to wear around the office, while not too “Carharrt-ish”, the 5 pocket jeans will start to phase out my Khul pants (which always develop a hole in the right knee).

How old are your Kuhl pants when they get the holes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles