Switching from Ford E-Series to FC/cabover (like Sportsmobile to Earthcruiser 4x4)?

DzlToy

Explorer
A 2003 NPR cab has a stock height of 87” on a 30” OEM tire. Adding 6.5” of suspension lift and 3.5” of tire height, new cab height is estimated at 97". A stock FG84 is 96” high on a 31” tire. I have personally measured several converted NPR trucks sitting on 35" - 37" tires and the cabs are right around the 8' mark.

For comparison, a Sportsmobile High Roof hard top Sprinter is 108” tall. A low roof Sprinter with Sportsmobile's Penthouse Top conversion and roof A/C is about the same height. A stock 2016 V6 Auto TRD Tacoma is about 6' tall. Lift that truck, add 35" - 37" tires, a roof rack, light bar, RTT or a slide in camper and you are nearing the 8' mark with much less usable space. I am not claustrophobic by any means, but the inside of a small 4WC (5.5' Tacoma bed) feels like a Porta-Potti compared to a space 10 or 11' long and 6-7' wide, in a package roughly the same size (NPR vs Tacoma).

An E-250 Sportsmobile Classic (unknown tire size) with a Penthouse pop-top roof has a closed height of 94”, and a wheel base of 140”.

Stock 80 and 100 Series are about 73” tall. With a 40” OAH (high/low) box bonded to an FE frame, a 37” tire and 7” of wheel gap, box roof is 82”, which is about the same height as an 80 modified the same way.

Jim's hard top EarthCruiser cabin measures ~10' in OAH, but does not include vents, solar, roof-top storage, etc. At 96” there isn't much difference to a lifted SUV with a rack and RTT. At 120”, there is a huge difference.

A 5th gen 4Runner sitting on 33s with a CVT RTT mounted to a Front Runner rack, measures 92” OAH.

A standard roof 2WD Sprinter measures 98” OAH, while a 4x4 measures 100” - 118” high, depending on the roof selected.

Crew Cab 4x4 NPR, on 37s on level concrete:
11” to bottom of front diff, 52” to the lowest part of the engine hatch (AFF), 4.5” of up travel (front), 35.5” loaded tire diameter (front), 38” frame height (AFF), 10” wheel gap (to plastic trim), 62” frame rail to top of cab, 99” in overall height.

EarthCruiser FX: 134” WB, 257” LOA (including huge bumper and rear-mounted spare tire), 81” OAW, 118” OAH,

Zuber

DzlToy: EarthCruiser FX: 134” WB, 257” LOA (including huge bumper and rear-mounted spare tire), 81” OAW, 118” OAH,

The EarthCrusier EXP is the same, except 102" OAH.

The Mitsu FUSO is great everywhere except fast roads where the traffic is going 60+ up hills and up wind. The pop-top is very tall inside and has a lot of windows. 13 mpg for the diesel is very good for a 13,500 lb truck.

kcshoots

I have driven a new (2021) E450 converted to 4x4 with 35" tires, and it drove well, with excellent turning radius, albeit a little rough on the road even built out as a camper. Granted, the ride very much depends upon the 4x4 conversion parts and quality. I have also driven a new Mitsubishi Fuso and Isuzu NPR with EC 4x4 conversion on 37's. These are a little bouncy as driven with empty frame rails/no campers, but also do have excellent turning radius, although ride quality can be/should be improved with camper build/added weight in rear. I am going to post a full video review of each (including some other vehicles such as Unimogs, LMTVs, F550, Transit cutaway and Ram 5500 cut away chassis soon on my YouTube channel, with full specs, dimensions, driving experiences, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000