Switching from Alaskan pop-up to NL hardside

Freebird

Adventurer
Well I'm buying a hard-side camper, and selling my pop-up Alaskan Camper when I complete the trim on the newly installed compressor refrig.
The wife NEEDS a shower, a larger bed, and hot water, things the Alaskan camper that I own, and like so well, just does not have. Mandatory features. Non negotiable features. The replacement camper will be used in retirement to travel around the country and snowbird. The wife is not into camping nor back country adventuring. Tolerates it occasionally in the Alaskan, but no-go on long term trips (she has been there, done that), and especially not mostly living in it on the road. Ain't happenin' (heavy sigh...).
So I started my search for an acceptable (to her) replacement TC. I put a 2000 lbs (dry) target for my search/quest. That eliminated the XP-V1 camper that I have been SO sweet on (wife did NOT like it - Price, pop-up, size). In fact, the wt target eliminated the vast majority of truck campers. Pickups have increased in power and weight hauling capability through the years, and almost all the TC builders have found that to be the market.
On the web I found a TC maker that sounded promising made about 4 hours north of me. I made a trip to Penticton, BC to look the camper, and campers in production at Westland Camper. Liked what I saw overall, but both the local (BC) sales person which I was referred to, and camper builder were completely unresponsive to any modifications (install compressor fridge, etc) to the product. The builder is a very small operation, and he has a backlog of orders. I moved on.
A couple weeks later I returned to the Okanogan Valley in Canada (BTW-beautiful area!), but went further north to Kelowna, BC, to see the Northern Lite factory building campers. Very impressive build with top/bottom clamshell foam/fiberglass camper structure. Very nice, indeed. Quality materials inside and out. I was impressed.
My contact person at the factory was very nice, and he was willing to at least research the custom items I was interested in. They are also backlogged for many months.
After I returned home, and was pondering what I had seen and took px of, I realized the lack of adequate storage-drawers, cabinets, cubby holes-was unacceptable in both the Westland, and the Northern Lite camper in the target weight rigs. My 10' CO Alaskan weighs 1910 (data plate) and has more storage than the new ones I had looked at (my Alaskan has narrow dinette for 2, so more storage than typical).
What now?
I started pondering various cabinet modifications/additions that I could do to increase the storage in/on the NL. At least eek out a bit more. Then it dawned on me I was thinking about scabbing on cabinets on a beautiful new camper, and my cabinet building skills are zero. Well, maybe .1 on a "zero to ten" scale. Doing that did not make sense.
So I decide to buy a used NL camper to hack, paste, screw and glue on. Started searching, but there were very few used FS near my target weight, and none within driving distance to follow up on.
While I was googling various combinations of words that included NL, finally one popped up on Craigslist. Older NL unit in N. Idaho. A 1998 NL 8.5 that weighs about 2000 lbs. (before the A/C was added later). The ad said "awesome storage". Well, I thought I knew better, but I dropped everything to go see it.
I was amazed. It had acceptable factory storage. Actually large in comparison to today's product. Camper exterior is a bit rough (chalky gel coat, UV damage to all exterior plastics etc.), which can be spruced up. The inside looked used, but not abused. I had managed to luck upon one of the NL campers that they had made their handsome reputation on. I agreed to pay what they were asking for it, and have made a deposit on it. They are holding it while we assemble the necessary money & time (wedding season) to complete the transaction.
It was not everything that I wanted. It's on a quite tall (to me) basement with very generous interior headroom over the bed. It is TALL, so I'll be pushing a lot of air going down the road. Also, unfortunately, the tall height will eliminate roads/trails with low overhangs. Can't have it all. Trade offs dominate most decisions..
The camper has a plenty big enough (queen size) bed (E-W), WB shower, and HW tank, plus bigger refrig with separate upper freezer door (3 way).
Overall pretty nice. Not my preference, but maybe happy wife, happy life.

Completed the transaction today, and also bought the 2009 Ram 3500 diesel dually long bed it was/is mated to.....

Last edited:

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
Congratulations!
Good to compromise and keep your wife and traveling partner happy.
You also lucked out to find a used camper that seems like it would fit both your needs ... even better than the new offerings.

Big mike

Adventurer
I know I'm going to get grief for this , but here goes.
First off I hate the term happy wif happy life ! Ya know if she's not happy she can leave same for me.
As for I want you to get rid of the things that make you happy and get what makes me happy? Really , my wife of 35 years can have what she wants, but the same goes for me .
But about the time she bit...complained long enough well she cauldron stay home !
And I hate to hear your last remark " well maybe happy wife makes happy wife" tells me you aren't happy.
Life is way to short to live for someone else.
I guess I'm lucky my wife enjoys going out of bounds with the outfitted jeep and AT chaser trailer.
And when she doesn't she either sty home or goes to one of our other two homes . I go on my merry way and catch up later .
Happy wife happy life.....always comes down to a miserable excuse for a marriage .
Good luck
Mike

ripperj

Explorer
Good luck with the new setup. I am in the same boat. I am scratching build a new lower section and extended roof of my Alaskan 8' cabover to include bigger north/south queen bed, heat and hot water, Thetford cassette toilet and indoor and outdoor shower. The shower will be minimal like FWC, just a copper pan built in the floor with a curtain.
The Northern lites are sweet, I have checked out a few at Truck Camper Warehouse. Very high quality. If I will the lottery I will get a bigger truck and a NL 10-2 dry bath, but the the truck/camper combo is a $100k+ rig new!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Freebird

Adventurer
Big Mike- she (wife of 43 yrs) is a "keeper" in most other aspects. Keeping a partnership working means compromises for both. I wouldn't want a doormat.
Ripperj- this 1998 Northern Lite has more storage area/areas than the the brand new NL by a bunch, so I am very happy with the purchase that way. Plus, instead of $42K new, it was $12.5K, and the private sellers are carrying the contract on the whole combination, so a big savings there. I don't mind sprucing up the exterior, and the interior is in great shape.
I am used to looking at the profile of my Alaskan Camper in the road configuration, so this TALL camper looks HUGE to me, but I'll adapt.
Yes, I'll be selling the Alaskan Camper. I'll post it on CL as a hunting/adventure rig. I'll try to sell it mated to the PU its on. It'll be a month or so, going to travel some shake down trips with the new rig.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Free,
The trail of off-road RV's left by us hard core people is long and strewn. It all has to do with age. I can usually guess an RV-er's age by seeing what type of RV they ply. When Jeanie and I were first married we camped in a tent on the ground next to some kind of Land Cruiser (an FJ-40 or FJ-55, both with stuff and jeep trailers).
this first pic is in June/1971: 1966 FJ-40 with factory PTO winch; homemade jeep trailer:

By June 1974 we graduated to a 1970, FJ-55 with Chevy 307 V8; power steering, tomba burro/w winch; Hone OD; 53 gal. gas tank. the trailer is a 1972 ConFer Toyota-ready (6 lug) jeep trailer, all metal with locking top and 4 jeep can carriers:

Then a couple kids and a bigger tent and in an '80 International Traveler, 118" WB, factory Nissan 33T turbo diesel, hardtop. There was 6' behind the second seat. As form follows function we needed the space. Then kids were adults and moved away. Stage 2. Buy a cute little CJ8 to build as a rock crawler. Then a few XJ's along the way. Then needed a truck to haul the now rocks-only Jeep to the trailhead. Still in a tent, but not for long. Jeanie says, "I'm not camping on the ground any more" We're getting longer in the tooth. Flat towing was a drag so buy a 14' car trailer and do an SOA on it. The tent days are over: look in the Recycler one day searching for a small, light truck camper that fits a short bed Dodge. Call the number and visit our new to us Lance 165-s camper. Go to the bank and make the transaction, all the same day. The two of us spend more than 200 nights in the 'box' making small adjustments. Make many more adjustments to the truck than the camper making it much more off-road and traveling fool worthy. The CJ8 was sold last week ending that 45 year era of hard core jeeping. Consider changing to a XP camper since the owner lives down the road from us. But we are so at one with the 1842 pound wet Lance as it travels well, is narrower (86"), shorter (8 foot, 6 inches) less tall (10 feet, 3 inches on a lifted truck), has storage pods, than almost any hard side camper out there. Sure it shows lots of battle scars from passing trees and rocks, and a few rebuilt areas. The whole thing is 20 feet, 4" long, short enough to get the green light for the Road to the Sun highway in Glacier. There is nothing on the roof, and weight down low so leans less. So much for the good. Now the bad:
Small tanks: 18g fresh, 14g black, 12g grey. we have worked out ways to extend the limits of those tanks and can stay out unsupported for 5 or 6 days if we do small things to conserve.
no up-to-date insulation. Patronizing batts of pink fiberglass are in the walls roof and floor. I would rate it at R-2. Who, who thought that was a good idea.
window coverings are those pesky venetian blinds. Not my first choice.
no double pane windows or block foam insulation or 4 season hatch covers.
The net result is we use more propane during winter trips and use thicker down comforters for over night. If it is real cold, we go 'dry' with the water supply flushing the toilet with -50f degree RV antifreeze, straight. That's the downside of not having a basement.
It sounds to me like you are on the right track and are extra lucky to buy the truck and camper together. This will save you the 'period of adjustment' so many of us have gone through. Oh, and ignore anyone who does not have an appreciation of your lifestyle and choices. These were not theirs to make.
jefe

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Sounds like you found a nice combo that will fit your needs. I wouldn't feel bad about making compromises to accommodate the wife's needs. I have made more than a few changes on camping rigs over the last 40 years due to changing circumstances some have worked out better than others. The wife and I are in the process of making a possible change once again due to lifestyle changes.

Jwestpro

Explorer
How about a couple of pictures?

Pictures of the camper set-up or the wife ? Seems equally relevant to the thread as a whole for accurate perspective. Mr. "Too bad wify" Mike might change his mind Haha.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I guess my mind is always in the gutter ;)

Freebird

Adventurer
Lol... I believe humor is where you find it.....

Humor doesn't make the world go 'round.
But it certainly eases the process!

Freebird

Adventurer
Update:
I stuck with a truck camper (see OP) since it was/is a priority to retain the ability to park in urban/suburban parking areas/spaces.... Well, today I found out first hand that the parking spaces painted on the streets of Monterey, CA are too narrow (by several inches) for the duallies, and the crew cab long bed dually Ram is significantly too LONG, too.
Damn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz