switching from a 4runner to a full size?

Porkchopexpress

I assume you mean offroading and not offloading, unless that is a term I'm not familiar with. If so, what camper and what sort of reduced capability.
Offroading yes, my tablet keeps spell correcting it to offloading. I haven't weighed it yet, but an Outfitter Apex, (I am guessing 2500 lbs full of water). When going over mild uneven terrain it rocks and sways so I would be uncomfortable driving on significant off camber or moderate obstacles. Same going over abrupt dips or uneven pavement at speed. I was traveling on a very poorly maintained highway in AZ and I had to slow to about 30 to keep the load stable.

I have a 4runner also and my point is that when driving it after the F350 with camper, there is a big difference. The 4runner almost feels like a sports car in comparison. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a truck camper as I think they are great, just trying to help people make an informed decision.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Offroading yes, my tablet keeps spell correcting it to offloading. I haven't weighed it yet, but an Outfitter Apex, (I am guessing 2500 lbs full of water). When going over mild uneven terrain it rocks and sways so I would be uncomfortable driving on significant off camber or moderate obstacles. Same going over abrupt dips or uneven pavement at speed. I was traveling on a very poorly maintained highway in AZ and I had to slow to about 30 to keep the load stable.

I have a 4runner also and my point is that when driving it after the F350 with camper, there is a big difference. The 4runner almost feels like a sports car in comparison. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a truck camper as I think they are great, just trying to help people make an informed decision.
Makes sense. I'd imagine it's less of an issue off road with "pop up" campers that either either super light (go fast camper) or lighter (four wheel camper) than your setup. Appreciate the info, 2500 is a lot of weight for sure, especially one of those really large in bed campers.

Porkchopexpress

2500 lbs is actually probably a bit lower than reality. I plan on hitting a scale next time I use it. That being said, the wet weights on 4 wheel campers are listed in the 2000 lb range so I would still temper expectations as far as rock crawling.

tacollie

Glamper
2500 lbs is actually probably a bit lower than reality. I plan on hitting a scale next time I use it. That being said, the wet weights on 4 wheel campers are listed in the 2000 lb range so I would still temper expectations as far as rock crawling.
I ended up spending a lot of money on shocks. It transformed how the truck handles on and off road. I'm amazed how stable it feels. It was so bad before that I was told I need to spend money on the shocks or sell the heap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier