switching from a 4runner to a full size?

UglyViking

I agree with points that this is cyclical. Right now people that maintained jobs through the pandemic likely find themselves flush with cash from not doing all the things that were closed due to the pandemic. If no one was able to go out to bars, restaurants, vacations, trips, etc. they were "forced" to save cash. I think that is why we are seeing such strong movement in the stock market, house prices are insane, and vehicles as well. The limited supply for some of these categories is also driving that. If I can't get all the cheap goods from China I'm used to spending my money on, well again forced savings.

I'm sure that all these auto manufactures would love to sell their vehicles for MSRP or above, I know the dealerships would love that. That said, I just don't think it's realistic.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm sure that all these auto manufactures would love to sell their vehicles for MSRP or above, I know the dealerships would love that. That said, I just don't think it's realistic.
Agreed. I am waiting for rebates to come back and more inventory to be on lots. I'll wait for a deal. If dealer A doesn't want to deal, I'll go to dealer B. Then if I have to C, D, E.

I'm sure I am not the only one waiting for deals to come back before replacing their vehicle.

If dealers want to sell, they'll deal because some other dealer will....

There are a dozen Ford dealers within a half hours drive of my house. Same with Ram. There's about 6 Toyota dealers within a half hour. So lots of competition out there.

cwebMT

I was in a similar boat and I have settled on selling my 4runner and have an F250 on order that im going to pretty much copy montypower build here https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-on-37s-expedition-truck-camper-build.216282/ with execption that I wont be going slide in (at least not soon) since I also snowmobile and want the sled deck. given that I have a tow behind aframe trailer for winter and will do the RTT for warmer months when I have the dirt bikes in the bed.

jadmt

ignore button user
get a power wagon, best of both worlds, rides incredibly nice for a 2500 and if you need more payload put on a set of air bags and mine gets pretty good mpg too boot. I get the same mpg with stock tires as I do with Toyo RT 35's. One big draw back with 35's on a Power Wagon is once you get 35's you really realize how much you need 37's............

Tex68w

Beach Bum
get a power wagon, best of both worlds, rides incredibly nice for a 2500 and if you need more payload put on a set of air bags and mine gets pretty good mpg too boot. I get the same mpg with stock tires as I do with Toyo RT 35's. One big draw back with 35's on a Power Wagon is once you get 35's you really realize how much you need 37's............

Yea, 35's still look small on a PW, but if you move to a 37 you'll be 13mpg at best.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
yes I hate the thought of giving up 16-17mpg but dang 35's are small.
View attachment 695170

It's all relevant, they look small on the PW but 35's on our 200 Series Land Cruiser entails all kinds of mods and accessories needed in order to make them fit without issue and there's still corners that have to be cut to make it happen. On the other hand I sit here and look at my RAM 3500 on 37's and all I can think about is how much I want 39's or 40's lol, it's a sickness and it never ends.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Did you change the wheels? They look different from the sig pic.

Crazy. I'm getting about the same mpg with stock sized tires in my F150. (That's with cruise set at 65 mph)
yes, someone wanted silver saltas and AEV no longer makes them in silver so they bought me a set of black ones and we traded. both happy as I think black looks better on a silver truck and he has a black truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
@nomad_games I think it’s a smart move to go full-size given your situation. I’ve had multiple 4Runners and Tacomas. Good truck. But terrible payload, interior space, and MPG. I’m back in a full-size and do not miss the midsize trucks at all. When the kids are out of the house, I’d love to get a singlecab truck to roam around in.

Oooohhhhh yeah!
1638588164048.jpeg
Get a 6’ bed if you’re getting a sled, but honestly, I hate loading sleds in the back of the pick up. 10000% prefer a trailer, if you can swing one.

Personally, I’d get a Super Cab F150 and a high rise cap, and call it good.

Porkchopexpress

I got a slide in pop up camper and mounted it on a 1 ton thinking it would be perfect for dirt forest roads. Having driven it on uneven roads, I totally underestimated how much the extra weight and bulk would reduce offroading capability. Maybe a camper shell with a raised roofline would be a good compromise between comfort and offroad ability?

Last edited:

UglyViking

I got a slide in pop up camper and mounted it on a 1 ton thinking it would be perfect for dirt forest roads. Having driven it on uneven roads, I totally underestimated how much the extra weight and bulk would reduce offloading capability. Maybe a camper shell with a raised roofline would be a good compromise between comfort and offroad ability?
I assume you mean offroading and not offloading, unless that is a term I'm not familiar with. If so, what camper and what sort of reduced capability.

nomad_games

ok, so to everyone saying I should get a trailer, I mentioned it before, but...I live near a mountain pass that has a ton of really good backcountry skiing and snowmobile areas on it. Trailers are not allowed from Nov to April, so if I want to take a sled up there, it has to be in the back of a truck.

nomad_games

also, I am aware of that any added value my 4runner has in the current market will then be spent on the added market value on anything I try to buy after. it's the main reason I haven't done it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz