Switched to Linux

Carlyle

Explorer
I finally made the switch! My Windoze XP fried again, this time it locked up solid with a black screen of death. Nothing worked including recovery disc and I finally rescued my latest data with a Ubuntu boot disc. So I decided to make the plunge and loaded Ubuntu 8.1 side by side with XP. I am going to keep the XP for now as there are certain programs I can't run on Linux, such as my Garmin software. So far it's working great and I'm spending most of my time using the Ubuntu rather than the Windoze.

eugene

Explorer
Garmin software will run under wine, I do that so I don't have to dual boot. You install wine then search for a script called winetricks then run it and install the ms core fonts.
The very latest release of garmin's mapsource is reported to not run but people report its not stable under windows either so stick with the previous version.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I am also running Ubuntu on my spare system. I havent completley ditched widows yet, but I just might. I am looking into wine now to see if I can run my Garmin stuff. Thanks for the tip.

gary in ohio

Explorer
For those with Linux systems that need an occasional "windows system" you have the option of wine, if your software is support or you can try virtualbox.
It a virtual program that runs under linux. Run XP as a task under linux.. Software is free http://www.virtualbox.org/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles