Switch to LED head lamps or No

I did go from halogen to LED on my superduty. Waste of money. I bought ones that could be indexed within the housing, they throw light everywhere. There is no 'aiming' them. There was no cut off line anymore and I was being highbeamed during the day. They lasted 1 week before I went back to the halogens.
Wife has a Grand Cherokee with the projector halogens and I swapped HID bulbs in there. Made a huge difference, in a good way, on her vehicle.
I'd say it comes down to the specific design of each housing and how it reacts with an LED bulb shoved in there. If your highbeams are different bulbs from your low beams I could see you getting away with it, otherwise I'd just leave the headlights alone and ad auxillary lighting.

What LED kit did you purchase?

Ducstrom

What LED kit did you purchase?
These are the ones I purchased, I believe they are H13. Unfortunately, the new superdutys are quad beam lights meaning that there are 4 high beams and four low beams so now I've got 2 sets of these collecting dust.
I didn't go with the cheapest thing out there and I didn't want the fan cooled lights because I read about issues with radio interference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120-074513.png
    Screenshot_20200120-074513.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 25
Who makes the lights? Canbus is just in reference to the module that will keep the lower resistance from negatively affecting the warning lights on the dashboard.

From my research, the most important part of an LED headlight is how it mimics the original filament. If the picture you posted is what you bought, the LED is not even close to a match in design, and the little amount of clear acrylic/epoxy that is put over the filament also negatively affects the light output and how it reacts in the reflector housing.

There truly is a lot of misinformation and conjecture in the LED light world. It took me months to learn.

Ducstrom

Acetech vision

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120-172435.png
    Screenshot_20200120-172435.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200120-172427.png
    Screenshot_20200120-172427.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Acetech vision

Ducstrom,

It appears, unfortunately, as though the site where you purchased those bulbs took advantage of you. I did a quick search for "R4 LED headlights", and could not find much information. What I did find was a few videos on youtube, one in which someone submerged the bulb in water, which does nothing for a consumer who is looking to purchase a proper kit. Another thing I noticed in the picture of the box you posted was that the label never identifies the LED chipset used in production. There are only a few manufacturers of good chipsets in the world, Phillips and CREE and a few others. All others fall short of the necessary quality to be used in Headlight production.

It's also necessary to explain the difference between LUX and LUMENS.

Lumens are much like candella, or what a single LED diode is rated in terms of brightness. When a company says that a bulb is rated at 4800 Lumens, they are rating the brightness of each Diode multiplied to get the final combined Lumen rating. So lets say your kit has 12 diodes per bulb, and there are two bulbs in the kit giving you 24 total diodes, then we say 4800 lumens per Kit divided by the number of diodes 24 is 200 lumens per diode and 2400 lumens per bulb.

LUX on the other hand is the amount of light ,measured at a standard minimum distance of 25 feet by a meter that is able to detect brightness at that distance, or any distance for the matter. LUX also depends on the housing in which the bulb is installed, projector often higher than reflector, but that's just the nature of the two housings.

Ducstrom

Ducstrom,

It appears, unfortunately, as though the site where you purchased those bulbs took advantage of you. I did a quick search for "R4 LED headlights", and could not find much information. What I did find was a few videos on youtube, one in which someone submerged the bulb in water, which does nothing for a consumer who is looking to purchase a proper kit. Another thing I noticed in the picture of the box you posted was that the label never identifies the LED chipset used in production. There are only a few manufacturers of good chipsets in the world, Phillips and CREE and a few others. All others fall short of the necessary quality to be used in Headlight production.

It's also necessary to explain the difference between LUX and LUMENS.

Lumens are much like candella, or what a single LED diode is rated in terms of brightness. When a company says that a bulb is rated at 4800 Lumens, they are rating the brightness of each Diode multiplied to get the final combined Lumen rating. So lets say your kit has 12 diodes per bulb, and there are two bulbs in the kit giving you 24 total diodes, then we say 4800 lumens per Kit divided by the number of diodes 24 is 200 lumens per diode and 2400 lumens per bulb.

LUX on the other hand is the amount of light ,measured at a standard minimum distance of 25 feet by a meter that is able to detect brightness at that distance, or any distance for the matter. LUX also depends on the housing in which the bulb is installed, projector often higher than reflector, but that's just the nature of the two housings.
Maybe so. It seems that if a direct LED headlight swap is a viable option, we lack a knowledgable vendor able to demonstrate quality results.
There are many vehicles driving around where I live with blindingly bright LED replacement bulbs. I actually prefer the guys that use their light bars on the road, at least they can shut them off when they go by.

Maybe so. It seems that if a direct LED headlight swap is a viable option, we lack a knowledgable vendor able to demonstrate quality results.
There are many vehicles driving around where I live with blindingly bright LED replacement bulbs. I actually prefer the guys that use their light bars on the road, at least they can shut them off when they go by.

Ducstrom,

Headlightrevolution.com is a good resource for direct fit replacement into late model vehicles, and I am not sponsored by them, but I sure learned a lot through them. They even have kits specific to your Ford Superduty and have pictures to substantiate their research and the products they carry. These people are a great resource for both LED and HID kits.

I don't disagree that the people running around blinding oncoming drivers are a neusance. The reason for this is strictly because they are enticed by the low cost of low developed, cheaply built products that are available.

Latetom

Observer
Headlight Revolution -- worst customer service on anything that I have experienced in the last several years.

1) Sent an email per their directions on-line -- never received a reply
2) Order $670 of lights and paid extra for 3 day delivery (fly tomorrow to Madrid, Spain where my 4Runner is located)
3) Received a cute email throwing confetti and telling me my order was received
4) Sent second email asking question on high beam lamps and if necessary PWM wiring -- never received a reply
5) Called day after making order to question on wiring -- told I was #71 in the cue, hung up
6) After six days and no delivery called again, told I was #11 in cue, 46 minutes of waiting and listening to the worse music/advertising I think I have ever had the privilege of listening to - I got a human. He checked order and told me it hadn't shipped! I am now facing returning to Spain and using the existing poor headlamps, etc in Spain, Morocco, and Western Sahara for the next 4 to 5 months!

A) I will say the guy who finally answered my call was very good. Said, "we can ship overseas." I ask how long, "two weeks at least." Doesn't work for me, I need them no later than 12 Feb.
B) Offered full refund and it was in my email inbox within 5 minutes -- not what I was expecting after the last week of dealing with Headlight Revolution.

I highly recommend their web page, information, and videos. Review all their information and then order from someone else or Amazon.

smokeysevin

Observer
I did a full projector retrofit on my truck and it made a huge difference. On the flip side, I have a buddy who is running drop in lights and the light output is pretty disappointing.

Buy once cry once. I wish I had done the retrofit years ago. The extra cost was totally worth it and the install wasn't all that bad either. No special tools were required.

Sean

Dallas TRDPro

I don't live in a cold climate but I replaced my Rubicon to be able to take a couple trips a year to Colorado and north. I'm in Moab right now and I hate the halogens, but they sure helped today when we had snow. The LED fogs were useless. I will be adding an LED lightbar to my roof rack or in the grill for when I need better lighting.CTBn+a+7RkaKcc8dXmZNAw.jpg

HeidiQueen

The thing about installing LED headlights comes down to three things: what you pay for them, warranty, and research. Headlight Revolution is a good source for all of those criteria. The person who started that site tested dozens of bulbs and only recommends the best. He also has completed dedicated research in most of the late model vehicles, specifically the 4Runner. There are pictures of various bulbs in the 4Runner housings.

Headlight Revolution is not a good source of information by any stretch of the imagination.

1584981744421.png

Headlight Revolution is not a good source of information by any stretch of the imagination.

View attachment 575224

I found your source for the test of the multiple Lux Meters, but it's only one person doing one test. No one can just go off of one persons research, verification through replication.

GTR lighting is not the house brand of HR. HR is a distributor.

I was also unable to find anywhere on Headlight Revolutions website that they claim GTR lights have 2600 lux at 25 ft.

If you could post more sources of your material, it would be much appreciated.

I also find it odd that you decided to join this forum specifically to post this "research" and that is the only thing you have contributed. Seems a little suspect to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles