Swing-out tire carrier buildup!!

Willman

FlyingWen said:
Hey Nic while you're at it. I'd like this bumper pictured below.
My B-day is January 30th...I'll be 30 too....
X.jpg

I'll give ya a cookie!
That would be a super present....:hehe: :hehe:

PM sent!......lol

That bumper looks really easy to build!.......I couldn't let you leave without side protection on that sweet "X" of yours!

When I'm out of school and if you still don't have a bumper......we'll talk!

;)

My Birthday is Dec. 6.........What are you getting for me????......lol

Willman

3trdmarine said:
Very nice bumper! I noticed your shackles, my old roommate made those :costumed-smiley-007

Thanks!.....From the picture above...looks like you have a rock'in ride yourself!

Your roommate was from China? :shakin:

Haha!

On another note about the bumper...

Getting ready to cut about 3/4 off my gates length.....Need more room for the trailer so i can open my gate all the way!

Plus add a LightForce bolt on Stubby light to the gate!

:camping:

KG6BWS

Explorer
hi guys. ive been lurking for quite awhile but havent posted yet. thought this would be a good first one. im one of those people who have had the rock logic hinge fail. going down the freeway one day, the only thing that kept my tire, hilift, and 10 gallons of gas from going through the windshield of the car behind me was a 1/2" safety pin i had made. the hinge had fatigued right at the shoulder that the lower bearing sits on. if youre dead set on using the hinge (which works really well, as far as the movement goes, swung very nicely even with a 32" bfg m/t, 10 gals. of gas in steel cans and a 60" hilift on it) then make sure that there is absolutely no movement in the carrier when its closed, and use a safety pin (preferably 2, one at each end of the carrier). i think that the reason mine broke was because i had about an 1/8" of play up and down in it, and the hinge wasnt strong enough to prevent forwards and back movement when bouncing around offroad. my reccomendation would be to go with a hinge setup closer to the expeditionswest tacoma. to me that would prevent much of the movement that caused to fail.

Willman

^Welcome to the ExPo!

rigwelderstaco said:
hi guys. ive been lurking for quite awhile but havent posted yet. thought this would be a good first one. im one of those people who have had the rock logic hinge fail. going down the freeway one day, the only thing that kept my tire, hilift, and 10 gallons of gas from going through the windshield of the car behind me was a 1/2" safety pin i had made. the hinge had fatigued right at the shoulder that the lower bearing sits on. if youre dead set on using the hinge (which works really well, as far as the movement goes, swung very nicely even with a 32" bfg m/t, 10 gals. of gas in steel cans and a 60" hilift on it) then make sure that there is absolutely no movement in the carrier when its closed, and use a safety pin (preferably 2, one at each end of the carrier). i think that the reason mine broke was because i had about an 1/8" of play up and down in it, and the hinge wasnt strong enough to prevent forwards and back movement when bouncing around offroad. my reccomendation would be to go with a hinge setup closer to the expeditionswest tacoma. to me that would prevent much of the movement that caused to fail.

This is great infor. for people in building their bumpers...I get a lot of people asking questions about my build....

My gate is totally solid!....Having a 255, 48" HL, is just right for the spindle......But putting 10 gallons of gas puts it over the edge in my opinion even with a solid gate! I totally agree....The Expedition West Taco's gate is the way to go if you want to carry that much weight!

Willman

Update

With getting the trailer.....I didn't design my swing gate for the trailer....my swing-out gate was hitting the front of my AT holders....

DSC04362.jpg

Well.....Got out the tools and went to work!...Felt good to put the books down and pickup the welder again!

I got a pull pin from Mcmaster Carr to hold the gate in place....Then i welded some flat bar to keep the gate from hitting the truck......I then cut a key hole in the flat bar so i could mount a tab with a hole in it for a lock.

DSC05838.jpg

Problem solved!...

DSC05835.jpg

I still need to cap the gate tube and get it ready for paint....More to come!

Adventurer
Ah! good to know Will. ;) Out of curiosity, what's the distance between the tailgate and the area of gate contact on your trailer?

Still designing my swing out, this mod will help me rethink my design.

Willman

^^^^Yes stir!...2 am baby!....I worked on this project and installed a hitch on my trailer.

He she is!...20 minutes using a 7 1/2" grinder to take off the old latch with the angle iron on it....My hands still hurt!

Before:

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

After:

DSC05874.jpg

DSC05873.jpg

Overall......I'm really happy with the outcome!....I love having the extra security with the lock on the gate....Just makes it even harder to break-in the canopy!

:)

Willman

OldSven said:
So with the pin is it as tight of fit as with the old latch? I like the lock idea too!!!

Yes it is....The pin does a great job holding it in place (side to side movement) and the lock is there too (up and down movement)...to keep people out:)..and as a second lock just in case the pin comes up in travel..

:sombrero:

Willman

4307 said:
Ah! good to know Will. ;) Out of curiosity, what's the distance between the tailgate and the area of gate contact on your trailer?

The swing gate is 47" long

From the tailgate with the swing gate open.. it is 50".....and 3.5" more intil you hit the front of my trailer...

Hope this helps...

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles