Swing out gate type spare tire holder build up.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Anybody want to share some pics of a swingout gate on the back of a tacoma? I am in the process of making this happen, but would like to see some other ideas before I get to far along.

I actually picked up an entire swingout unit from the back of a 1989(I think? 80 something...) 4x4 Chevy S10 Blazer. It seemed like a good platform to build off of, as it already has the hinges (which will have to heavily modified), and a pretty tough latching system, tire mount system... hey for 20 bucks, I couldnt go wrong.

I will build this to pivot off of the right side, and want to add two Jerry Cans next to the spare. To do this, I will have to cut and lengthen the swingaway, no problem as its just 1 1/4" DOM. Doing this will cause the spare to be offset to the left of the tailgate instead of centered. I dont think that will be a problem. Just looking for more Ideas. I will have some pictures pretty soon...

~James

Willman

dieck said:
Nic, no lie, this project inspired me to take a welding class at the local community college. Was a blast...

Glad to hear!!! My father-in-law are going to take a TIG welding class this summer!!! Never can take enough classes on this stuff!!

Any projects in the future dieck?

:elkgrin:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Nic, that is a VERY nice job Sir! I really like the looks of it. It has given me a few ideas, thanks very much for posting the link. When I searched for a project like this on this forum, I came up with nothing?? Oh well, thanks again for posting up.

Mine will have an upper and lower hinge, and the tire will be offset like yours as well, to accomodate two Jerry Cans. If I hadnt already gotten the blazer stuff, I would definately be going to route that you went with the latch. That was my biggest concern, keeping this thing latched down good and tight and making it Rattle proof. (like you did with the rubber bumper, nice idea! ). With the blazer set-up, I think I can make it happen, and best of all its only cost me 20 bucks so far, for the hinges, frame (although I have to lengthen it) and the latching system.

I am using Chris's (bajataco) rear bumper design, with a few modifications to accomodate this tire gate, gonna have to be beefy.

Thanks again for that post!!! Any body else?? ~James

PS, did you ever weigh this thing?

dieck

Adventurer
i took the advanced class which was mig and tig. The class was great. I have several projects planned. First up is a pre-runner - 4x4 swap I am ammasing parts for.

Next sliders

Next, a bumper like yours :)

Willman said:
Glad to hear!!! My father-in-law are going to take a TIG welding class this summer!!! Never can take enough classes on this stuff!!

Any projects in the future dieck?

Willman

dieck said:
i took the advanced class which was mig and tig. The class was great. I have several projects planned. First up is a pre-runner - 4x4 swap I am ammasing parts for.

Next sliders

Next, a bumper like yours :)

Very nice my friend!!! Keep us posted on your projects!!!

Willman

stumptaco said:
Nic, that is a VERY nice job Sir! I really like the looks of it. It has given me a few ideas, thanks very much for posting the link. When I searched for a project like this on this forum, I came up with nothing?? Oh well, thanks again for posting up.

Mine will have an upper and lower hinge, and the tire will be offset like yours as well, to accomodate two Jerry Cans. If I hadnt already gotten the blazer stuff, I would definately be going to route that you went with the latch. That was my biggest concern, keeping this thing latched down good and tight and making it Rattle proof. (like you did with the rubber bumper, nice idea! ). With the blazer set-up, I think I can make it happen, and best of all its only cost me 20 bucks so far, for the hinges, frame (although I have to lengthen it) and the latching system.

I am using Chris's (bajataco) rear bumper design, with a few modifications to accomodate this tire gate, gonna have to be beefy.

Thanks again for that post!!! Any body else?? ~James

PS, did you ever weigh this thing?

My bumper fully loaded is about 270 lbs.(hi-lift, 255 and air tank!!! Having the air tank adds so lbs.

Your plan sounds good!!!! I though about the rear gas can thing but decited to add an large aux. fuel tank in the future....The great thing about working with metal is that you can do anything you want!!!!!

Keep us post on this one!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94