Swing arm suspension?

Turbomuffslayer

just started my 6x10 off road camper/toy hauler build And decided I’m fabricating my own independent swing arm suspension. The only info I’m seeing is a guy in Australias YouTube channel (TinyHouse and Offgrid Resources) And Pictures on Pinterest. Does anyone know of any more info/resources I can go off of? Why are these types of trailer suspensions not available in the us?
FD9C0F08-1A2E-45F2-A41F-D2900A71D91D.jpeg

ottsville

Observer
Before there was this forum for DIY, there were lots of DIY threads in what is now the commercial trailers forum. There definitely were some really good suspension threads over there, but you'll have to dig to find them.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Been thinking similar for our Escape 15A. Probably a 2021 project...but really hating the Dexter Torflex.

Can I conclude you hate Torflex axles because they don't advertise here? Have you had a trailer with one?

Tony
You should not conclude anything from my reply.
I am not the one disliking Torflex. I only wanted to share the Timbren option with the OP.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Torflex(less): 2" of travel is barely enough for smooth pavement. Coupled with little to no damping and...

I looked at Timbren, but once again it has minimal wheel travel and rubber for damping. Just another band-aid.

old_CWO

Leaf springs for the win!

I probably don't drive fast enough for all the negatives I hear about leaf springs. Certainly haven't experienced any yet myself.

I suspect it's short, stiff and over rated standard trailer springs that drive the dissatisfaction with leaf spring suspension. A good set of long and "flexy" springs (properly rated for the load) and shocks seems to work well for a lot of folks. I believe that all things being equal, simpler is usually better. Hard to get more simple than a straight axle and leaf springs.

Admittedly I have never driven the miles and miles of washboard in Baja; that situation might make me change my mind.:unsure:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ I'm not seeing it on the chart you linked. For instance: Full load, 22.5º down and I'm seeing 1.49 to 2.31" of outer radius arm travel. They're just not a performance suspension system. They're cheap and simple and this is why so many typical RV trailers come with it. Ditto just about every other piece, part. component of any typical RV made in the USA.

I invite you to ride in our Escape while I tow it on PAVED roads and see if you still believe Torflex is all that. And you'll be begging for mercy anything off-pavement.

Bikedawg

FWIW, I too wanted to upgrade the torflex axle that was undersized for our Casita but, not wanting to do a cabin off frame build. I considered or wished for the above mentioned trailing arm and Timbren but both would require either a complete new frame or sub-frame. The solution we went with was to remove the torflex, add steel to strengthen the existing C channel frame, extend the tongue, leaf springs and the main ingredients were bigger bearings and brakes that now ride on 265 x 16 E Coopers at 40 psi. With a WD hitch it does not sway at all behind the truck and has been very stable.
I'm not saying our route fits all of course, it just solved our overweight problem and so far the cabinets have remained closed underway.

The below was posted on another forum by Larry Gamble who has converted many heavy Casitas to straight axles as he describes.

We originally started doing leaf conversions not for lift but for chubby Casita's The #11 Dexter torsion axle is quite expensive and OMW shocks won't fit. For about the same price one can get a 5200# Dexter leaf axle, 4200lb springs, giant bearings, 12" brakes and Dexter shocks. But there is really no lift involved. The leaf axle actually moves the axle away from the bottom of the body and puts it in the center of the wheel reducing clearance. The project requires careful measuring, lots of cutting and welding.
We usually (on heavy 17's) use a 5200 lb axle but use 4200 lb springs. There have been exceptions where we used a 3500 lb axle and springs but these trailers were light. The motivation here was folks who towed in the mountains almost exclusively and perhaps had tow vehicles on the small side for a 17. 12" brakes are standard on the 5200. It should be noted that the 5200 axle is rated as such only because we order them with 6 lug drums. If we ordered them with 8 lug drums the rating would be 6000lbs. The key is lighter springs so we don't create a harsh ride.

We use off the shelf trailer springs. From a Dexter distributor we use their PR4's for 4200lbs or PR3's for 3500. They measure about 27" inches. With tall perches and long shackles this gives us a bit more then 3" of travel before frame interference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94