Sweet Hiluxes in "District 9"

soonenough

Explorer
Anyone seen the movie District 9? There are some amazing-looking Hiluxes in there. They're the primary vehicle for the private military contractors in the movie and they look to be pretty heavily modded. They've got a really weird front bumper that I've never seen before; I'm sure it's just something customized for the movie. I've been searching around on the internet but I really couldn't find much (possibly because the movie's still so new?)

Mods - if this should've been posted in Off Topic, I apologize.

506.jpg

By the way, if you get a chance to see the movie, I highly recommend it. It's a really unique movie; one of the best I've seen in a while.

Last edited:

Nadir_E

Adventurer
I just saw it today as well - and will echo both comments - it's a cool movie (unique take on the subject) and that's a bad-*** looking pick-up truck! I look forward to more photos of it becoming available.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Just looks like an ARB bar from that pic...same as the one on my hilux.

Cant wait to see the movie......

soonenough

Explorer
Just looks like an ARB bar from that pic...same as the one on my hilux.

sami said:
100% an ARB bumper with add-ons for other equipment on the truck
:eek: Haha whoops, so much for my wierd never-before-seen front bumper theory. I guess I got so caught up in all the drooling I lost my grip on reality :drool:

winkosmosis said:
Is that HDPE armor on the sides?
[OffTopic] I had no idea that HDPE was being used for vehicular armor. That's a pretty cool application for plastics. I used to work at a Polyethylene plant that made LDPE, LLDPE, and HDPE. It's a pretty amazing process; the chemical reaction runs at just under 30,000 psi and 900*F, which makes for some really interesting equipment and piping challenges [/OffTopic]

SGV

Adventurer
:eek: Haha whoops, so much for my wierd never-before-seen front bumper theory. I guess I got so caught up in all the drooling I lost my grip on reality :drool:

Don't worry, I was racking my brain just trying to ID the trucks. Doh! The movie was great and the storyline was totally unexpected.

heliarcer

[OffTopic] I had no idea that HDPE was being used for vehicular armor. That's a pretty cool application for plastics. I used to work at a Polyethylene plant that made LDPE, LLDPE, and HDPE. It's a pretty amazing process; the chemical reaction runs at just under 30,000 psi and 900*F, which makes for some really interesting equipment and piping challenges [/OffTopic]

[OffTopic] In the lab at school we have some of the closed cell aluminum foam used in bomb-proofing buildings. It weights basically nothing and you can bang on it with a hammer pretty hard before it starts to deform. Pretty neat stuff. District 9 was really cool though and the Heluxes made it all the better.
aluminumfoam2.jpg

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Isn't the plural of Hilux = Hiluxen

I guess you'd have to be a Unix geek to get that...:)

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
The front guards / flares have been cut larger on that hilux and looks like they are running beadlocked 34 or 35's....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier