Sweet 6x6 mog for sale

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
That is a nice truck. It has been for sale since at least December 2019 when I emailed the broker (for a friend, out of my price range) as the ad on Expedition Trucks did not have the build date listed (the mobile.de ad does). A 1999 'chassis' so good to go for Canada, but still a little too young for the USA. EXPLORER Magazin has a nice video on it. It is a very awesome truck, I saw it at the 2018 Abenteuer & Allrad in Bad Kissingen (photos below). It would be a great promotional vehicle for a Canadian base composite company ;)

DSCN3551.JPGDSCN3545.JPGDSCN3542.JPGDSCN3544.JPG

MTVR

A U2450 would have been nice. We would have settled for a U2150/L38. But we ended up with an MTVR...

MTVR

A U2450 would have been nice. We would have settled for a U2150/L38. But we ended up with an MTVR...

lbarcher

Adventurer
I'd buy it but the time it would take to scrape off the cultural appropriation graphics is a deal breaker.

Who am I kidding? That thing is selling for more than double what my house is worth.

Obviously a vehicle like this would be of interest mainly to Unimog aficionados.
That said, without even seeing detailed specs, it appears to have about $40000 just in transmission upgrades e.g. the Claas overdrive (~$8000) with 0.82 OD ratio and the UG 100-8 transmission with 0.736 8th gear. Why are these necessary? About 97% of the 6x6 Unimogs built of that vintage (a total of ~300) came with 6.94 axle ratios. Therefore giving a max road speed with 395 tires at rated 2400 rpm of 46 mph. Even worse than a MTVR at 57mph at 1800. With the double overdrive it will go 76.5 mph at 2400 which no sane person would do, but cruise economically at 60 at 1890, 79% of rated rpm.
Also “new engine”, etc. And they claim the camper is newly built in 2016, figure ~$300k for that, at minimum, especially with carbon fiber.
Actually dirt cheap compared to an Earthroamer HD at $1.7M.

• Love
Reactions: mog
Every thing is relative.
I asked for specific information on the vehicle. All I am saying is that if one had $1.7M to spend on a expo vehicle, it might be nice to save ~75% of it and end up with a more capable vehicle.
The income alone on the saved $1.25M would be ~$4-5K/month.

Reactions: mog

Neil

Observer
Or you could by a very capable nice truck for half that price and have even more left over.

I suspect it will still be for sale this time next year

Neil

tonydca

I remember seeing that vehicle listed over a year ago - TBH, I recall wondering if they might have way over-spec-ed the chassis for such a light-weight habitat box.

Not sure how 'Mogs ride with well-under their rated load, but I get the impression that for many cargo trucks, shooting for ~65% of rated load gives a combination of compliant ride plus plenty of spare capacity when the unexpected happens off-road.

I understand different suspensions ride differently - certainly leaf-sprung vehicles ride like ******** when unladen. Not sure about coils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles